FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

worried about what they'll find

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jude View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: worried about what they'll find
    Posted: Apr 25 2013 at 3:14pm
I was diagnosed in January with tnbc and when I had a 2nd opinion at Dana Farber they suggested I get baseline testing done. Though my oncologist said he doesn't recommend baseline scans, he agreed to do them. The bone scans and CT scans were all normal except for something on my liver that they thought was most likely a hemangioma. Since it did show something, he said I should have a liver MRI just to confirm that it is in fact a hemangioma. Well I had the liver MRI last week and now he tells me the MRI results disagree with the CT scan. The radiologist thought the MRI result showed a met that had been shrunken from chemo. (I had had completed two chemo doses before the MRI.) So now the oncologist says I should have a liver biopsy which is scheduled for tomorrow. I am a wreck. Wasn't expecting this as my SNB in February was 0/6. Any one have any thoughts or words of encouragement? I haven't been able to function for the last three days. I was handling the TNBC diagnosis, chemo, etc. really well but this has set me over the edge.

Dx TNBC 1/20/13, age 60, 4.7 cm, stage 2 grade 2a
lumpectomies 1/24/13 and 2/15/13, no clear margins, snb 0/6
TAC chemo started 3/8/13
mastectomy (bilateral tbd) to follow chemo

overwhelmed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote overwhelmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2013 at 7:03pm
Jude,
I do know of someone (not TNBC, but Her2+) who was sure she was Stage 4 because one of the scans showed what looked like a met on her lung.  After a couple of anxious weeks it was determined it wasn't a met. 

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.  I know this must be so scary, but I hope that you find that it is just some type of benign nodule, etc. 

Hang in there,
Lori
DX ILC TNBC 3/10 at 50, Stage IIb; Grade 3; 5.1 to 7 cm,SNB neg;TC-6 rnds, 30 rads, Avastin-18 rnds, BRAC 1&2-
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2013 at 7:12pm
Jude,

I will be thinking of you tomorrow and hope the biopsy goes well.  I'm hoping the scans are just false positive and you have nothing to worry about.  

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

MarissaK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarissaK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2013 at 8:07pm
Jude,

Just curious, did your oncologist state why he doesn't recommend baseline scans? When you say you had "bone scans" done first, do you mean a PET/CT? PET/CT's are pretty sensitive and, I would think, would have lit up cancer if it was in your liver. There are distinct characteristics between cysts and tumors, so if it read as a hemangioma to begin with, that's hopefully all it is. They are very common. Did the tech suggest how the MRI results differed from the CT scan?
DX 5/18/12 at age 34. Stage IIIC IDC TNBC, grade 3, 3 cm (multiregional nodal involvement). DD ACT complete 9/5/12. BMX 10/15/12, ALND: 0/12 nodes. pCR. Rads x 25 + 3 boosts completed 2/6/13. BRCA neg
Jude View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2013 at 8:17pm
My oncologist said that baselines tend to turn up too many false positives and create so much anxiety. (which clearly i'm having) but isn't it better to know what you're dealing with so you can treat it early? I definitely didn't have a PET scan. I had a bone scan and then a CT scan of the chest, abdomen and pelvis. The CT report read probable hemangioma of the liver. The MRI read probable met of the liver. I'm feeling a little less anxious now from your comment and the others who responded to my post. Thank you so much.

Edited by Jude - Apr 25 2013 at 8:17pm
MarissaK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarissaK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2013 at 12:31am
If something looks suspicious for cancer when you have a CT, typically the radiologist will suggest MRI for a closer look because he/she is uncertain. But, it sounds like it was your oncologist who ordered the MRI, right? It's great that your doctor is being diligent, but if it wasn't the radiologist's idea, I think that's a good sign. Also, images are enhanced different on PET, CT and MRI. So maybe what looked a little smaller to the tech reading the MRI report could have been misinterpreted as a possible met w/shrinkage from chemo effect.

Please keep us posted on the results of the biopsy. I will be praying for you that this is nothing.
DX 5/18/12 at age 34. Stage IIIC IDC TNBC, grade 3, 3 cm (multiregional nodal involvement). DD ACT complete 9/5/12. BMX 10/15/12, ALND: 0/12 nodes. pCR. Rads x 25 + 3 boosts completed 2/6/13. BRCA neg
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2013 at 10:54am
Jude,

From my experience once you've been diagnosed with breast cancer, that with the different type of scans, if they see anything unusual they'll almost always recommend further testing, like a biopsy.  They'd rather be very cautious instead of don't worry it's probably nothing.  So my take is many times it will turn out to be a false positive.
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Jude View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2013 at 7:31pm
Thanks Marissa and Donna for your encouragement. The biopsy went fine but now the hard part is waiting. They said I'd have results early next week. I'll be in touch, of course.
Dx TNBC 1/20/13; age 60 BRCA-, 4.7 cm, stage 2A, grade 2
lumpectomies 1/24/13 and 2/15/13 clear margins not obtained; SND 0/6
TAC chemo completed 6/21 bilateral mastectomy 7/25
arabella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arabella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2013 at 1:57am
Jude, glad you got thru your biopsy without problems and I'm hoping that the results confirm a hemangioma.

Wishing you peace,
Kaye
Dx TNBC 1/2013; age 63; 1.1 cm; Stage 1, Grade 1(?); lumpectomy clear margins; ALND -; severe SEs to first TC and treatment stopped; radsX25; BRCA -
Recur 6/2015 Mastectomy
Jude View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 7:15pm
Well today was the first bit of good news I've received since my gynecologist found my lump in November. I had the liver biopsy last friday and the pathology report came back benign. It was a hemangioma and they will be keeping an eye on it. I feel like I dodged a bullet. I know I still have a long road ahead but feel much more optimistic that I'm going to fight this disease. After all the worry this past week, returning to my chemo regimen (3 more treatments left) with bilateral mastectomies to follow seems doable. Wishing good news for everyone out there who's still waiting to hear. Thanks for all the support. This forum is invaluable. -Judy
Dx TNBC 1/20/13; age 60 BRCA-, 4.7 cm, stage 2A, grade 2
lumpectomies 1/24/13 and 2/15/13 clear margins not obtained; SND 0/6
TAC chemo completed 6/21 bilateral mastectomy 7/25
overwhelmed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote overwhelmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 7:44pm
Judy,
That's great news.  It's always so good to hear that what we are sure is bad isn't what we think it is.

Lori
DX ILC TNBC 3/10 at 50, Stage IIb; Grade 3; 5.1 to 7 cm,SNB neg;TC-6 rnds, 30 rads, Avastin-18 rnds, BRAC 1&2-
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 8:10pm
Judy,

So glad the biopsy turned out benign.  Sending you a big hug!

Donna

Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 8:38pm
Sleep well tonight Judy.  That is wonderful news about the liver bioposy. 
Yes, the treatments and surgery IS DOABLE and you are not alone.  You have an army of women here to let you know that WE UNDERSTAND.

Love and God Bless,
LillieClapHug
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 L/Mast/w/SNB,1of3 Nodes+
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
8/8 thru 11/15 Chemo (Clin-Trial) DD A/Cx4 -- DD taxol+gemzar x4
No Rads.
No RECON - 11/2018-12 yrs NED
katiedidit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katiedidit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2013 at 8:52am
Thank you, Jude for posting your story so far.  As another newbie, I appreciate the info and the wisdom in the responses you received.  Please keep posting along the line.  Best wishes from the bottom of my heart.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic