FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aspirin: Friend or Foe?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
mindy555 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mindy555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2012 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by LRM216 LRM216 wrote:

If they said kitty litter would help, I'd be spooning that down too too!  I figure anything's better than nothing.

LOL Thumbs Up Clap
Thumbs Up
Dx July 2011 56 yo
Stage I IDC,TN,Grade 3
Grew to Stage IIa- No ev of node involve- BRCA1+ chondroid metaplasia
Daughter also BRCA1+
Mass grew on Taxol
FEC 6x better
BMX 3/19/12 pCR NED
BSO 6/2012
mindy555 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mindy555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2012 at 10:44pm
I started an 81 mg a day dose of aspirin a few days ago. 

Is that the 'low dose' amount everyone is taking?  It's not true baby aspirin.. ( I thought they stopped making that..??)   Thanks for all the good input on this thread!!

I figure it certainly can't hurt.. I'm not allergic.  So IF it helps with heart & potential recurrence, it's such an easy daily addition to my existing regimen.

The info here is SO helpful!  
Dx July 2011 56 yo
Stage I IDC,TN,Grade 3
Daughter also BRCA1+
Mass grew on Taxol
FEC 6x better
BMX 3/19/12 pCR NED
BSO 6/2012
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2012 at 11:07am
Mindy,

Yes, 81 mg is considered low dose.  A normal aspirin is usually 325 mg.  I guess I still call it a baby aspirin even though it's just a low dose version.  I get the Bayer or generic coated tablets.  

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

sabinecalifornia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabinecalifornia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2012 at 2:00pm
I cannot take Aspirin. What am I suppose to do?

Sabine
DX TNBC 7/11 @ age 50, Stage 2A Grade 3, 1/19, LE/AD 8/11, BRCA1/2 neg.,
4 A/C, 10 Taxol, 2 Abraxane due to allerg. react. to Taxol, fin 3/12. 33 Rads 6/12. NED CT 8/12, 10/13, 10/14
mindy555 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mindy555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 2:29pm
Sabine-  Sorry I can't answer your question..

Yesterday my MDA MO recommended.. her words: a baby aspirin a day (or 81 mg), Vit D-3 & calcium.

She then went on to talk about the importance of exercise.

Other than that it was "live your life normally".........
Dx July 2011 56 yo
Stage I IDC,TN,Grade 3
Daughter also BRCA1+
Mass grew on Taxol
FEC 6x better
BMX 3/19/12 pCR NED
BSO 6/2012
debB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 2:51pm
Mindy,

Did she not discuss the low fat diet??

Deb
Dx 4/29/11, 46 yrs old, 3.9 cm tumor, Stg 2 Grade 3 chemo 4 rounds DD AC, 12 weekly taxol, finish. Lumpectomy, 2mm residual tumor. 37 rounds rads completed. Cisplatin/PARP trial
mindy555 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mindy555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 4:50pm
Nope.  She didn't get into low-fat diet at all.   My local oncologist actually negated low-fat diet when I brought it up.  She claims there's absolutely no proof,  where even minimal weekly exercise (3 hrs/wk)  is proven.  

Like all health issues I believe we need to remain proactive and use a healthy dose of common sense.   I know I'll plan to stick with a healthy diet from all I've read and will continue to learn as I go. 

The MDA radiology oncologist (whom I liked enormously and found extremely thorough and bright) said we've over-rate the harm of sugar too.  She suggested it's fine, as long as you don't over-do.  Sugar is too addictive for me 'to do in moderation' ....  I know I'm better off to not even go there. 
Dx July 2011 56 yo
Stage I IDC,TN,Grade 3
Daughter also BRCA1+
Mass grew on Taxol
FEC 6x better
BMX 3/19/12 pCR NED
BSO 6/2012
christina1961 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote christina1961 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2012 at 7:59am
Mindy,
I have such a hard problem with sugar, too! I have definitely cut it way down in my diet but if I ever get into it, it opens the floodgates and I end up eating 4 cookies or 3 donuts or whatever it is I've gotten into.  If I have it now, I try to limit it to when I've eaten a meal or protein.

I'm buying some baby aspirin today.  I take vit D3 and a multi-vitamin but try to eat vegetables and fruits most days.  I don't eat meat or chicken but eat fish and shellfish. I probably eat too many dairy products, and want to cut down but it is difficult because I eat out so much. Honestly, I'm glad to hear that about the low fat diet because I still have a weekly pizza while working late.  I usually order it with reduced cheese and thin crust, and veggies, but still it probably isn't the best thing to have.
2.5 cm TNBC, BRCA-, diag. 2/11, neoadj chemotherapy, uni MX, y2cm,2/16 nodes, RCBII, tumor retested 5-10%ER+,PR-,Her2-, rads, clin trial eribulin 10/11-2/12, tamox.
mindy555 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mindy555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2012 at 5:10pm
Hi Christina,

Yes, it's defo more difficult when you eat out.   Dairy has been a tough one for me, too.  I've started using just a sprinkle of Parmesan on salads.   I think it's easier to make dietary changes a little at a time.  I cut out all white foods (except sugar) many years ago.  I've always enjoyed a good slice of cheesecake drizzled with caramel sauce... among other desserts.  Those close to me know I'm famous for 'eating dessert first.'  I've found fruit is a good substitute.  IF I get a major craving I'll melt Baker's unsweetened dark chocolate, mix in some Stevia and sliced raw almonds.. then let that set on wax paper.  A small piece satisfies my craving without the guilt.  

I doubt a few weekly slices of pizza.. low on the cheese and heavy on the veggies is all that bad for you.  Everything in moderation, right? 
Dx July 2011 56 yo
Stage I IDC,TN,Grade 3
Daughter also BRCA1+
Mass grew on Taxol
FEC 6x better
BMX 3/19/12 pCR NED
BSO 6/2012
ds21 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ds21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2012 at 10:40pm
Interesting recent publication; using an NSAID (ketorolac) for pain relief during surgery may suppress early breast cancer relapse after surgery

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov.ezproxyhost.library.tmc.edu/pubmed/22622810

There is a poorly understood phenomenon of early recurrence after surgery.   The mets occur so quickly (a few months) that they must have been pre-exisitng clusters of cells (micromets); there isn't really enough time for the met to have grown from a single seed cell.  Something about having surgery appears to trigger the activation of microscopic metastatic clusters of tumor cells resulting in recurrence of the tumor shortly after surgery in some patients.  One theory is that surgery causes inflammation and the inflammation activates the micromets.  This article reports that using a potent non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID), Ketorolac, for pain relief during surgery rather than an opioid like morphine reduces inflammation and dramatically reduces the number of early recurrences.  This is one report and the finding clearly needs to be replicated, but if true, it could be an important advance.  In the meantime, if you are having surgery, it would be worth asking your surgeon what they plan to use for analgesia (pain relief) and ask if they have any problem with choosing ketorolac or another NSAID rather than an opioid analgesic.  The choice of what to use for analgesia during surgery is complex and may depend on your previous medical history, what other drugs your are taking and even the experience of the anesthesiologist with different agents.  If they are not comfortable with your using an NSAID analgesic, I would defer to their judgement.

David

Co-survivor
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2013 at 8:51am
Low-Dose Aspirin May Halt Breast Cancer?
Research done in test tubes and in mice presented at a conference in Boston in the US at the weekend suggests taking low doses of aspirin on a regular basis may stop breast cancer from growing and spreading. However, cancer campaigners urge caution as the results are very early stage and have yet to be shown in patients.

The research team, from the Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Kansas City and the University of Kansas Medical Center, say tests on cancer cell lines and in mice show that aspirin not only significantly slows growth of cancer cells and shrinks tumors, but also stops tumor cells spreading to new sites.

Their study investigated the effect of aspirin on two types of cancer, including the so-called aggressive "triple-negative" breast cancer, which is immune to most treatments.

Triple-negative breast cancers are so-called because they lack receptors for estrogen, progesterone and Her2/neu.

The researchers presented their findings at the annual meeting of the American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. 

A meeting abstract of the study appears in the FASEB journal.
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

mindy555 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mindy555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2013 at 2:10pm
If this proves to be true, what a glorious break-through for TN'ers!!!!!
Think I'll choose to believe it's true.. even if it sounds too good to be.

Hope you're doing well,  Donna! Thumbs Up
Dx July 2011 56 yo
Stage I IDC,TN,Grade 3
Daughter also BRCA1+
Mass grew on Taxol
FEC 6x better
BMX 3/19/12 pCR NED
BSO 6/2012
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2013 at 8:36am
Proliferation Of Two Breast Cancer Lines Stymied By Low-Dose Aspirin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabinecalifornia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2013 at 11:10am
In the studies they mention, that you have to be on low dose Aspirin for 8 years.

I cannot take Aspirin, what am I supposed to do?

Sabine
4 A/C, 10 Taxol, 2 Abraxane due to allerg. react. to Taxol, fin 3/12. 33 Rads 6/12. NED CT 8/12, 10/13, 10/14
Autumn10182001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Autumn10182001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2013 at 12:36pm
i take it 3-4 times a week and have been since I ended my treatments of chemo
DX2/99 Stg I,ER+PR+ Chemo lumpectomy - Neg nodes,rads, tamox,femara. DX4/09, Stg IIB /III, TNBC IDC, Grade III, 2.5CM, mastectomy. 4AC DD,12 wkly taxol,BRAC1&2Neg, Right Mast 11/25/09
MsBliss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsBliss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2013 at 3:13pm
Sabine,
It depends on the reason you cannot take aspirin.  If you are allergic, that is one thing, but some doctors can advise you on how to take aspirin if you are simply stomach sensitive; if that is the reason, there are methods, formulations and timing variables that can make it safe for someone otherwise advised not to take aspirin.

The key word here is inflammation.  We want to reduce the inflammation in our bodies that seems to be a "well spring" for cancer to feed upon.  Aspirin is a fantastic anti inflammatory, and as we are learning, stops the creation of the by products of inflammation that cancer loves so much .  But there are other anti inflammatory meds and supplements, as well as dietary changes, that work along the same pathways as aspirin.  It would take some research on your part, but you could look into these other options and run it by your oncologist.

Edited by MsBliss - Apr 25 2013 at 3:14pm
Dx 3/09 stg1 BRCA neg, 1.4cm IDC + 7mm DCIS, ki67 70 -90%, lump w/re-ex for margin, no chemo/no rads due to delays from secondary health issues; SonoCine every 6 months plus CAM interventions

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabinecalifornia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2013 at 5:27pm
Thank you MsBliss for the information. I have no allergies but extreme stomach problems with it. I will run it by my oncologist.

Sabine
Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2013 at 9:57pm
I take an 81mg aspirin every day.  I started about 3 years ago after finding out that it could be a very good thing to do.  
My husband was just diagnosed with atrial fib and, at this time, the 81mg aspirin is his only medication for the a fib.  I will add that he has very low platelets which now are in his favor.   GO FIGURE....

God Bless,
Lillie
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 L/Mast/w/SNB,1of3 Nodes+
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
8/8 thru 11/15 Chemo (Clin-Trial) DD A/Cx4 -- DD taxol+gemzar x4
No Rads.
No RECON - 11/2018-12 yrs NED
krisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2013 at 11:01pm
I take my baby aspirin at night with dinner. So far, no stomach or intestine issues.
beck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2013 at 9:49am
i just went and took a low dose it cant hurt and its much easrier to get down then kitty litter haha i would be set on the kitty litter thing as i have 5 cats
ER postive in 2007 10 nodes in underarm,primary unknown, right side, did chemo and rad. Dec. 2011 TN left side 1.5 CM no nodes stage 1 did cmf chemo and rads.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic