FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chemo and rosacea

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Genie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chemo and rosacea
    Posted: May 01 2008 at 6:18am
Hi, I just joined this site yesterday. I was diagnosed with triple negative BC on March 13, 2008. Had a bilateral mastectomy 4 weeks ago with a sentinel node biopsy (negative, PTL). I start chemo (Cytoxan & Taxotere) on May 5. I have rosacea (the redness and the acne) and am wondering if anyone else out there with it has had chemo and what might I expect to happen with the rosacea as a result of the chemo.

I did test negative for Brac 1 & 2 but I am the 4th in my family with BC.

Would love to hear any suggestions.

Thanks, Genie
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2008 at 6:22am
Hi Genie and welcome to you.Smile

I have not experienced rosacea but maybe someone else will come along soon and be able to help you.

Have you discussed this with your Onc?  Never hesitate to ask your Onc anything, we need to be informed.  Or even call and speak w/one of the Onc nurses, they sometimes can be a huge help.

Good luck and let us know what you find out,
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
CarynRose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarynRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2008 at 8:32am
Genie,

Pam's suggestion is a good one.  Your onc should be able to tell you if this is 'standard operating procedure'.

I will also recommend a line of skin products that were recommended to me when I started chemo this latest time.  They are made specifically for those going through chemo and radiation.  I've used them for my reaction to Erbitux and they really work well.  You can find them at www.lindiskin.com.

Good luck,
Caryn
Orig dx 6/03 - St.2a, IDC
gr.3,0 nodes, TNBC/BRCA1+
7/07 St 4 mets to nodes/lungs. PACA/Rads NED 11/07-10/08
Lepto mets 10/08
Rads for 4 brain tumors 4/10.
Leptomets return 6/10
Genie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2008 at 9:38am

Caryn & Pam, thanks for the prompt replys. I have talked to my onc about the rosacea but she has never treated anyone with rosacea. Maybe my experience will help someone in the future. I understand taxotere can cause flushing of the skin so maybe it won't be any different than the problem I already have with rosacea.

Thanks and good luck to both of you.

Genie

chaya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2008 at 11:26am
I don't know if I officially have rosacea, but I do have some of the symptoms. I was also on Cytoxan & Taxotere, and my skin reacted incredibly well. People keep telling me how good I look.

So while chemo might not cure you rosacea, you might see your face clean up a bit.
Genie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2008 at 12:07pm
Chaya, thanks - this does sound encouraging!
Beth Anne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beth Anne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2008 at 6:14pm

Dear Genie,

I have rosacea and had been using metro gel for the past 6 years to keep it under control. After a month or so of being on the chemo I no longer needed it... So far my skin is still okay, I am still on chemo for another 5 weeks (it's been a long year of chemo). So I'll keep you posted!

Beth AnneSmile
Genie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2008 at 4:59am
Beth Anne,
I'm wondering if maybe rosacea subsides due to the chemo or the steroids that are given along with chemo. I have had rosacea for 15 years - Metrogel no longer helped me after 10 years and I have been using Desonide and oral antibiotics since then. Even with those I still have major outbreaks - certain foods and especially stress seem to be the main triggers. It will be interesting to compare our experiences.

Good luck with the rest of your chemo.

GenieThumbs%20Up
catmax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2008 at 3:29am
Dear Genie,  I did have rosacea, especially with the AC.  It seemed to get better when I started Taxotere.  I had some rosacea before that came and went.  My dr. gave me a prescription but I did not take it because I did not want to take my drugs I just did not have to.  I did really well otherwise on the AC.  I was able to work everyday.  I was tired at night and some general this and that's but chemo did not by any means "get me down"Smile Stay in control, keep a positive attitude.  Catmax
Genie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2008 at 3:25pm
CAtmax, my 1st chemo (cytoxan & taxotere) was Monday, May 5. My rosacea was o.k. for a couple of days but I am now having a major outbreak. The 3rd day after chemo was the worst - lots of queasiness, aching and just an overall feeling of being out of sorts. Noise bothered me. Today, (day 6) I am feeling more tired than usual but am trying to take little small rests. Nothing tastes good and I've already got thrush on my tongue. Is there anything I can do to alleviate that? Any suggestions would be helpful.

God bless,
Genie
Lesley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lesley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2008 at 6:11pm
I can't help you about your roscea, but there are a few things that may help you with the thrush.  Over the counter you can buy either Biotene or Prevention mouth rinses.  I've heard very good things about the biotene on the young survival coalition bulletin board; I don't know as much about the Prevention brand, but they have one that's made for oncology patients, and it says it useful for treating thrush.  You can also ask a dentist or doctor for a prescription for "magic mouthwash" which is made with lidocane, mylanta and two other things that I can't remember.  This is supposed to be very effective.  If all else fails, you can get a prescription for some kind of antifungal type medication (which I know probably sounds gross, but thats what thrush is).  Good luck! 
Lesley
kirby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2008 at 10:05pm
I found accupuncture and chinese herbs very helpful during chemo to maintain energy and an overall sense of well being.
kirby

dx Feb. 2001. Age 44
Lumpectomy

2cm. no nodes stage 1 grade 3

4 rnds AC, 35 rads
flaes View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flaes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2008 at 11:44am
Hi Genie:

I Just joined today.  I am triple negative, grade three, three of my lymph nodes were positive, I had a single mastectomy and 4 A/C 4 Taxol treatments.  I have MS and also rosacea (which I have had for at least ten years)  I get the acne bumps on my cheeks.  I will tell you that I had no problem with the rosacea until my Taxol treatments.  When I asked the Doc about it - he said it was from the steroid they gave me.  I would make sure that you are using your metrogel or whatever your dermatologist prescribed regularly during your chemo.

I just finished my chemo 1 1/2 weeks ago and am still having a little flair-up on my cheeks.

Best wishes to you.
Sue
flaes View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flaes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2008 at 11:50am
Genie:

For the mouth thrush - which I also had - I found that the Prevention (not the oncology one) - the one with the green label to be escpecially helpful in keeping it under control.  I also had my Dr. prescribed that magic mouth stuff that you swish and spit - this helped with the pain.  I also tried the Biotene - I found the Prevention worked alot better.

Sue
Genie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2008 at 2:04pm

Sue, thanks for the info. My rosacea has quieted down some and my mouth is much better. I will try the Prevention mouth wash. My onc is also trying me on Caphosol for Oral Mucositis (she thinks that might be my problem rather than thrush). I've never heard of it but it is recommended for chemo patients.

It's weird about the steroid causing the rosacea flare-up because my dermatologist gives me a steroid shot when I have a really bad flare-up. Maybe the chemo steroid is different than what she gives me.

I hope everything goes well for you - glad you are through with chemo.

Genie

adagilbert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adagilbert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2016 at 2:15am
My sister has rosacea and had been using all natural and organic Moisturizing Lotion, Organic Baobab Oil for the past a year after her chemotherapy treatment to keep it restrained. I suggest you that you must try these all natural and organic supplements that have no side effects recommended by #FCWB, it have created a line of safe skin care products specially formulated for cancer patients by cancer patients that is organic, natural and chemical free. These skin care products are not only the safest but they also contain natural healing agents which help reduce inflammation and aide the skin’s regeneration process. And one more important think that these skin care products are safe to use before, during and after chemo therapy or radiation therapy treatments. 

Good Luck Smile
OlubukolaThomas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OlubukolaThomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2017 at 7:30am
The first day I used Dermalmd Rosacea serum. I had a friend ask what I had done differently. She added, your face is not red. It works well for me!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic