FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

And yet another one!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AmyZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmyZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: And yet another one!!
    Posted: Apr 22 2011 at 8:39am
Hi all,
I feel like I'm being a little redundant, but I'm new here to.  Been lurking for a few weeks and finally registered.   I'm 47, married and mother of a 15 y/o son.   I was diagnosed with TNBC on March 11 (telephone call at 7am from the doc, lovely way to start my day Ouch ).  Left the local breast cancer clinic and went to Boston (Sagoff Centre at Faulkner Hospital) - had a partial mastectomy on April 5th, surgeon took 5 lymph nodes - pathology showed all clear, phew!

I have an appt. on 4/25 with the medical oncologist at Dana Farber (Faulkner) and medical radiologist on 4/26.   Will do the chemo in Boston and radiation at the Dana Farber office in Londonderry, NH (minutes from home).   Also trying to schedule dental appt. for cleaning, appt. to take a look at wigs and have to get new glasses all before I start chemo.   All piled on top of regular life and I'm pretty busy.

So many appointments between diagnosis and now - so much bad advise from people whose mother's, sister's, neighbor's, daughter has breast cancer....one friend actually told me that major surgery before 50 could trigger MS.   Yes I'm serious!!  Tough being a member of a club that no one really wants to join, but it's nice to know I have somewhere to go where everyone knows what TNBC is and I don't have to explain why I'm having chemo and radiation even though the tumor is gone!!   The conversations become exhausting and always return to the relative or friend who didn't have to have post-surgical treatment or is "on hormone therapy and is fine" have you asked your doctor if you can do that too?   Jeesh!!

So for now that's where I am...looking forward to moving ahead next week.

LauraT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LauraT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2011 at 9:17am
Hi Amy - welcome! Sorry sorry you had to join this club, too. When I was first diagnosed, a very wise fellow cancer survivor told me not to listen to all the stories and advice I would get from others and sure enough, I had to heed that advice many times! It is very different here as you probably know from reading - everyone here "gets it" and is so encouraging.

It sounds like you have a good plan in place to meet with doctors and receive treatment. Let us know how your appointments go - it does help to get going and makes you feel like you are doing something proactive to get rid of this beast for good.

I am very close to you in age and I have a 16-year old son (he turned 15 in the middle of all my treatments). Life with a teenager is busy! My older son had just left for college right before my diagnosis, so my younger one bore the brunt of it all. He was stellar and I think it gave him a maturity and tenderness that he might otherwise not have at this age.

Wishing you all the best!  Keep us posted.

Love,
Laura
DX 10/09 @44, Stage I IDC tnbc, DCIS other side, Neoadjuvant TCx4, Bilateral Mastectomy w/Recon 1/10, 1.2cm 0/7 Nodes, 5/11 Mets to Lungs/Lymph Nodes, Avastin/Taxol, 10/11 Bone Mets, Xgeva
Charlene View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2011 at 9:50am
Hi, Amy,  I know what you mean about being part of a club that you never wanted to join.  Last year at this time I was in your shoes.  Some kept suggesting I get a another opinion to make sure chemo was really necessary.  I try to be patient with others remembering how little I knew about this whole thing before my diagnosis.  I used to think as long as lymph nodes were negative, no chemo was needed.  Wish you all the best as you proceed to finish your treatment and move on with your life.

Charlene
DX 3/10 @59 ILC/TNBC
Stage 1, Grade 2, Multifocal; Lumpectomy/re-excision
SNB 0/4 nodes, BRCA-; Taxotere/Cytoxan X4, 30 rads
3/14:NED
sue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2011 at 10:24am
Hi Amy,

Welcome.  Sorry for your diagnosis but glad that you found us.  Of course, none of us wanted to be a part of this club initially, but it has proven to be a place of incomparable understanding, compassion, support, enlightenment, and provider of a wealth of positive and helpful resources. 

There was a posting here recently from www.cancer.org listed under Treatment/UnderstandingYourDiagnosis section. I found this very helpful in the beginning of my journey with TNBC for deflecting unwanted feedback from others. Once I e-mailed it to all my family members the pressure and frustration stopped.  

See my signature at the bottom of this post for info. on my diagnosis, staging and treatments.  

Wishing you the best of care with your upcoming treatments.  

Sue
Dx 7/10, age 53. TNBC left breast, stage I, grade 3, IDC 0.5 cm, DCI 2.5 cm, 0/8 lymph nodes neg. BRCA-. T/C x4 finished 2/09/11, rads x34 finished 4/21/11.          
Barbi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2011 at 10:38am
Amy, Sorry to have to welcome you, but glad you found this site. It's been very helpful to me.  And, you are certainly NOT redundant. Everyone is different, in general, and in their journey with  cancer.  Good luck through it all.
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2011 at 11:36am
Hi Amy,

So glad you felt comfortable enough to join us.  It does seem like a whirlwind of activity at the beginning.  I rarely had to go to the doctor before bc, and seem like my week now is filled with appointments.  It's so hard for others to understand the difference with TNBC.  I remember explaining why TNBC was different from other breast cancers to my relatives and friends.  Even when I went to normal doctor or dentist appointments I had to explain about TNBC as most people have never heard of this subtype before.  Like Sue mentioned, I also sent an email around to all my friends with an explanation of what TNBC was and why it was treated differently.  Everyone here just gets it and requires no explanation.  You've found a wonderful support group.

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

AmyZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmyZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2011 at 2:12pm
Thank you all for your kind words.  

Laura, I'm amazed at the maturity of my son...he left for Richmond VA for a robotics competition the day after my surgery, the timing was perfect as he saw me come home OK and then missed the breakdown that I had 2 days later!!  We've talked honestly with him about what is likely to happen he's had thoughtful questions and has helped me keep my sense of humor. 

My family has been wonderful, my husbands family has been awful.  I think that this seals the deal for my attendance at future family gatherings.  No loss there!

I'm making more and more sense of what I'm reading - as they say "knowledge is power". 

Again, thank you all, have a wonderful weekend and joyous Easter (if you are celebrating Easter, that is...or just a wonderful weekend if not  Smile !!)
karebear113 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karebear113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2011 at 3:42pm
I'm new here as well.  It's been a struggle to balance how much I should read about TNBC without stressing out too much.

My mom has been diagnosed with TNBC.  I fear that if I tell her what's involved, she'll have more insomnia than she has now.

I just try to tell her that her cancer is different than some she might have heard from.

It's been a bit of a language barrier as well, since English is not her first language.

I just tried to explain to her that the way that her cancer is growing is not caused by hormones.  I would tell her that's the same as giving a person who has symptoms of coughing some medicine to relieve stomach pain.  So, with TNBC, chemo is the only option.
Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2011 at 3:55pm
Dear Amy,
We are glad you found us. When you're dealing with TNBC you need all the support you can get; and believe me, this is the best support group you'll find.

You mentioned your in-laws. When you have time, search out posts on here concerning how this disease changes family dynamics. You will be astounded at how many of us have similar family issues.   It really is incredible.

I'm glad your family is supportive. Your son will be OK. Just be honest with him and let him share in situations, if he feels comfortable, or wants to. i.e. losing your hair, helping while you feel down from treatments, communication, communication....

Sounds as though you have a plan and are well on your way to recovery. You can post anything here. Joy, fear, humor, questions.... We are here for each other.

We have a Spiritual Support thread which means a lot to me. We have devotionals, prayers, spiritual support in so many ways. Please visit and join, if you feel so inclined.

God Bless
Lillie
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 L/Mast/w/SNB,1of3 Nodes+
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
8/8 thru 11/15 Chemo (Clin-Trial) DD A/Cx4 -- DD taxol+gemzar x4
No Rads.
No RECON - 11/2018-12 yrs NED
Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2011 at 4:02pm
Dear Karebear,

Welcome to this site. There are several daughters and sometimes a son here searching for information for their mothers. I think it is great that she has you to be actively searching for answers to questions about triple negative breast cancer. Can you share some information with us, such as, the stage, grade, size, lymph node involvement or anything else which may help us to know exactly where her situation stands.
What is her first language, since you say English is not. Sometimes we have members who can communicate in other languages.
Keep posting and let us know how things are going.

God Bless,
Lillie
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 L/Mast/w/SNB,1of3 Nodes+
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
8/8 thru 11/15 Chemo (Clin-Trial) DD A/Cx4 -- DD taxol+gemzar x4
No Rads.
No RECON - 11/2018-12 yrs NED
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic