FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another Newbie

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mooneyswife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mooneyswife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another Newbie
    Posted: Dec 16 2010 at 1:38pm
I just wanted to get started here on this site by introducing myself. I was diagnosed with TNBC on September 24th, when I was 36 years old. I've since turned 37 and my life has been turned upside down.

10/7 - Lumpectomy with Lymph node Biopsy - 3.9 cm tumor, 4/17 nodes affected - Stage IIIa, Grade 3
11/1 - Port placement
11/11 - First A/C with Avastin(or placebo)

I have finished Cycle #3, and looking forward to my last A/C on Wednesday the 22nd. In January I'll start Taxol. I am on a trial with an 80% chance of receiving Avastin. This trial will be unblinded toward the end of the Taxol.

More importantly, I am a momma of two little girls, 4 and 7 and everything I do is for them. I pray every day that God helps me through this so that I can continue being a momma. I believe I will beat this!

Hugs to all who are dealing with this beast.

~Anita
DX IDC TNBC 9/10 age 36, Stage IIIa, Grade 3, 3.9 cm, 4/17 nodes Lumpectomy 10/10
A/C x4 11/10 - COMPLETE, TX x12 - COMPLETE
33 Rads COMPLETED 5/31/11
Wife and momma of 2 girls - 5 & 7
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2010 at 4:50pm
Hi Anita, welcome and so glad you found this forum.  You should find plenty of support here with other women who understand what you are going thru.

I admire you for participating in a trial, sounds like you are on good chemotherapy.  How are you doing with your chemo, side effects at a minimum?

A diagnosis of tnbc is devastating but the good news is that tnbc has a history of responding well to chemotherapy.  It does turn your life upside down but with time things will settle back out.

Best wishes on your completion of chemotherapy and please keep us updated on how you are doing.
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
LauraT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LauraT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2010 at 5:05pm
Anita,

I am so sorry for all that you are going through.  Being a momma to your girls IS the most important thing and you will beat this thing!  I hope you are getting through the chemo without feeling too badly.  Do you have a good support network?

There is a lot of good information here and excellent resoures, but most of all, the people here are wonderfully supportive and encouraging.  If you would like to join our Spiritual Support forum, there are folks there who would love to know you and pray for you.  Just go to the Forum Jump at the bottom of the page and select Support Groups and then Spiritual Support.

Hope your last A/C goes well without much discomfort.

Love,
Laura
DX 10/09 @44, Stage I IDC tnbc, DCIS other side, Neoadjuvant TCx4, Bilateral Mastectomy w/Recon 1/10, 1.2cm 0/7 Nodes, 5/11 Mets to Lungs/Lymph Nodes, Avastin/Taxol, 10/11 Bone Mets, Xgeva

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mooneyswife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2010 at 6:53pm
Pam and Laura,

Thanks for the welcome. Yes, I have an awesome support system that starts with a husband who carries the weight of the world on his shoulders without complaining. Chemo is going well so far. The day after is pretty good, I'm a little tired and then I get my Nulasta shot. I get a little achy with the shot so I take Benadryl, then I start sleeping for a couple days. I'm mostly just really fatigued, a little nausea and some muscle weakness. I've been able to work a couple days a week (The week after/before treatment).  Trying to keep positive and stay as strong as I can.
XOXO
DX IDC TNBC 9/10 age 36, Stage IIIa, Grade 3, 3.9 cm, 4/17 nodes Lumpectomy 10/10
godlovinmomof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote godlovinmomof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2010 at 7:10pm
I know how you feel.  I was diagnosed 11/9.  Had single mastectomy 11/23 and start the same chemo regime you are on with the avastin study next wed. the 22nd.  Admittingly Im nervous about chemo.  But just like you I will do anything to survive, I want to be here for my 3 kids 2 boys 10 and 8 and little girl 3.  We have so much to fight for as I know you all do.  I get my port tomorrow, Is that bad?  Praying for you!!!
Cindy
Diag - 11/9/2010
Stage 2b
single mastectomy 11/23/2010
clear margins
3.5cm tumor 2N grade 3
AC biweekly 12/23/2010
T weekly Feb/2011 finished 5/4
begin radiation 6/2/2011

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mooneyswife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2010 at 7:20pm
Cindy,
The port was the easiest part so far. I did end up with a "superficial" blood clot in my arm, but it is really rare for people to have symptoms like I did. It sounds like you and I are on very similar paths. Best of luck to you.
Hugs,
Anita
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 18 2010 at 11:40am
Cindy how did the port placement go?
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
godlovinmomof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote godlovinmomof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 18 2010 at 1:30pm
It went ok not painful I was awake for the whole thing:). Last night the back of my neck started hurting reAlly bad. Is that normal. It feels some better today. It feels like something is in my neck right below where I swallow does that feeling go away? Other than neck no issues with the port site it's just tender.
Diag - 11/9/2010
Stage 2b
single mastectomy 11/23/2010
clear margins
3.5cm tumor 2N grade 3
AC biweekly 12/23/2010
T weekly Feb/2011 finished 5/4
begin radiation 6/2/2011
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 18 2010 at 2:21pm
I have had two placed and other than a little soreness in the beginning which goes away I had no problems.
If the issues continue to bother you then you might contact your surgeon.  We aren't used to wearing an object in our chest so it feels funny for awhile.

I don't know what side yours is on but I did learn that if your seatbelt is rubbing against the port you can get a slip from your doc/Onc/Radiologist saying you have a port and not have to wear the shoulder strap.  It can be annoying and a big relief not to have the irritation of the belt rubbing on it.

Also they can give you a numbing cream which you apply about an hour before infusion to the port face, cover with a little plastic, it does help.  Some nurses are better than others sticking in that needle.
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
rigatonismom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rigatonismom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 18 2010 at 4:59pm
Hi Anita,
I'm Nita.  We are on a simular journey.  Instead of kids, I have grandkids.  I have just finish my 4th A/C treatment and will start Taxol on Dec. 30.  I will have a lumpectomy after the Taxol and then radiation.  I'm not in the trial. 
Hope all goes well for you.  Let me know if I can give you any advice or support.
Nita
DX 09/10 TNBC Stage3c, grade3, Tumor 2.7cm, chemo started 9/29/10, AC x4, Taxol x12, lumpectomy 4/11/11-tumor .6cm, 3+/22 nodes, radiation x 30 finished 6/30/11.Clinical Trial Cisplatin,PARP 8/23/11
NinaE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NinaE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 19 2010 at 6:50am
If you get swelling in your neck, definitely check with your doctor right away. That can be a sign of blood clots.
Stage IV at dx in Dec 09, at age 38. Mets to lung, axillary, IM and mediastinal nodes.

4xAC-->dd Taxol. Dbl mast, 6/10. Radiation, 8/10. NED since June 2010.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic