FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New to TNBC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 19 2010 at 6:14pm
Jenifer,

I agree with Steve.  The most important thing right now is to find a TNBC savvy oncologist and get on the right chemo regime for you.  Once you begin treatment you'll feel much better like you are doing something to actively fight this disease.

It's marvelous about your diet and everything you do will help your body and immune system to stay healthy. 

Ask your oncologist to test your Vitamin D level.  Most of us at diagnosis have very low levels of Vitamin D.  It is the one supplement that you can take while getting chemo and will actually help the chemo work better.

http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/vitamin-d3_topic5338_page35.html?KW=Vitamin+D3

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

TracyAMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TracyAMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 19 2010 at 8:50pm
Hi Jennifer

Sorry to hear about your situation but as you have seen already there are so many wonderful people on this site with so much expertise. I know the experience of learning about everything then deciding with your med. team what will happen when can seem overwhelming at first. I felt that way earlier this year and this is my second experience dealing with cancer, surgery, chemo. Thankfully I am nearing the end of my chemo (had mast. first) then will be having hormone therapy after chemo as I had a second BC tumour that is not TN. As a fellow 'newbie' I would be glad to chat anytime. My 12 year old daughter is looking over my shoulder as I type this and she asked me to say she hopes the best for you!

Tracy

Tracy
TN&non-TN tumors April/10 Gr3&2;1 metaplastic
Rmast.1/9 nodes w/isolated t.cells
Taxotere&Cytoxan x6
Bone cancer 1980 age17;surgery&chemo AC+Methotrexate
BRCA-ve
On hormone therapy & Metformin Trial
jenifer419 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jenifer419 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 19 2010 at 9:25pm
Hi Tracy,

Thank you...it's nice to know there are people out there going through the same thing.  Even when you have people around, you sometimes still feel all alone. 

I'm sorry to hear this is your second go-around with cancer.  At least your about finished with chemo.  I'm not looking forward to it myself...but, at the same time I can't wait.  If that makes any sense.

Tell your little girl thank you! Wink  She sounds sweet.  My son turns 12 in 3 days and he's so excited.  This is a fun age.

Also, if you ever need to chat...I'm here as well. Smile

Take care,

Jen

DX IDC TNBC 9/10 age 38, Stage IIb, Grade 3, 4.8 cm, 0/4 nodes, Taxol x12, AC x4 completed 2/28/11, I-SPY2 trial, bilateral mastectomy w/ recon 3/24/11, cPR 4/6/11
TracyAMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TracyAMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 19 2010 at 11:59pm
Jen, your thoughts about chemo are very normal, and sometimes the anticipation of it is worse than what actually happens though it depends on many factors including your chemo protocol. I have to say that chemo this time is much more manageable than 30 years ago (at least physically- more worrying as an adult and mom). There are more strategies now to manage the side effects e.g. anit-nauseau meds., immunity building meds , steroids to help with other side effects etc. My first treatment for BC was the most difficult in terms of reactions etc. Fatigue is something that has become a bigger challenge with each round...sounds like you have a good attitude - so bring it on and stay strong!!! It is remarkable how strong our children can be too

Tracy
TN&non-TN tumors April/10 Gr3&2;1 metaplastic
Rmast.1/9 nodes w/isolated t.cells
Taxotere&Cytoxan x6
Bone cancer 1980 age17;surgery&chemo AC+Methotrexate
BRCA-ve
On hormone therapy & Metformin Trial
kirby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 21 2010 at 2:26am
jenifer, look in the resource section of this site. There are tips ready to be printed on questions to ask your onc, things to prepare for chemo etc. Any other newbies be sure to look there as well.  
kirby

dx Feb. 2001. Age 44
Lumpectomy

2cm. no nodes stage 1 grade 3

4 rnds AC, 35 rads
jenifer419 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jenifer419 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2010 at 12:36am
Thanks Kirby.  Donna actually sent me the questions and I have them all printed and ready to go.  I'll go and check out the resource section now.

Jen
DX IDC TNBC 9/10 age 38, Stage IIb, Grade 3, 4.8 cm, 0/4 nodes, Taxol x12, AC x4 completed 2/28/11, I-SPY2 trial, bilateral mastectomy w/ recon 3/24/11, cPR 4/6/11
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic