FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BRCA 1/2 Mutations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
zoomommy2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zoomommy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2011 at 1:27pm
Brenda,
Congratulations on doing so well!  May that continue forever!  Thank you for the prayers!
Lee in Denver
dx6/09,stageII,gr3,(L)mastectomy 7/09,ACx4,Taxolx7,Avastin study,gall bladder surgery 1/10,4/11 Stage 4, mets to lung, 4/11 Started Taxotere and Xeloda, 5/11 Taxotere stopped, off Xeloda
Lulu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2011 at 1:28pm
Hi Steve that looks really interesting and would love to attend however £200 is a bit out of my budget as id have to pay for accomodation and transport as well... which is a really pity... if you know of anyway to go at a cheaper cost please let me know....

my work has cut down on funding too and we are only allowed to attend free conferences but i am going to  a TNBC study day tomorrow even in endinburgh... otherwise i would have tried to get them to fund it.

Barbi the BRCA3 research trial is commonly offered in the UK as a means of genetic testing, however the testing is really just to rule those with BRCA mutations out of the research so its more of a by product than a true genetic test... it only test for the main changes in the genes and doesnt look at missense and nonsense mutations such as mine.... i didnt have enough 'points' to fit the criteria for testing through the laboratory system until i got breast cancer the second time.

as i know work in this area it does make me worry than many of my patients given results that they are negative after brca 3 could mean they do actually have a gene but just that it wasnt identified.

i think one of the problems is people getting 'negative' tests... these arent actually negative... they just show that no gene has been found not that no gene exists.

a true negative result can only exist following predictive testing for a known gene within a family... eg my sister and mum are both negative as they do not carry the gene mutation i have... but in a family where no gene has been found it could mean that in a few years time one will be found.

dont mean to scare any body but i do feel there is a lot of misinformation and false reassurances given.

charlene that is very interesting research as gene carriers with breast cancer (any type) have a lifetime risk of around 40% or a contralateral BC where as non gene carriers its only 6%.

i wonder what they actually classify as recurrence eg is it all further episodes of cancer or secondaries or new primaries etc.

brie i see you had radiotherapy this frequently causes ongoing shrinkage of the affected area and can take as long as 2 years to settle but for most people its settled in a year so fingers crossed for you that there is no more shrinkage... my surgeon offered me to have fat inserted into my boob from other parts of the body.. lipofilling... iv not had it as got bc in other side and will be having bilateral mx next year but its maybe some thing you could discuss with your breast surgeon or plastic surgeon... some people also have implants instered after lumpectomy but really best to discuss it with a proffessional.

steph i havent come across anybody else with my mutation apart from my dad and there isnt any mention of it online either so would love to know somebody else with my mutation.

lulu xx
04/06-13mm,ER+, gd1, stg1,R WLE, rads
05/09-19mm,TNBC,gd3,stg1,LVI,L WLE,E-CMF,rads
01/10-BRCA2+ c.2409T>G
09/10-TAH&BSO
08/11-IPL nodes -L WLE- tax/carbo, Rads
08/13-R lung & LN mets. ENCHANT trial
Barbi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2011 at 2:52pm
Lulu, Thanks for the info on your BRCA testing. That makes sense.  I knew that by not getting the BART test, I am basically excluding myself from the piece of knowledge that it could mean a positive vs the negative I am now given.

I would be interested in information on what you did to become a genetic counselor. The counselor at my university based center gave me some info and encouragement to look into this field as it is such demand and should only grow. I am already an RN.  If you have any info you could share, could you pm me? Thanks, Barbi
SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down
Senior Advisor
Senior Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2011 at 3:24pm
Hi Lulu,

I paid 150 pounds because I registered several months ago...now, you are correct, I see the fee is 200 pounds...

however if you register for the programme just on the 10th the fee is 150 pounds..I think BRCA-wise the 10th is the most interesting day. Two of the key scientists behind the parp inhibitor discovery, Alan Ashworth and Andrew Tutt will be involved. I fully understand it is a long expensive trip and I will try to take good notes and post...If somehow you can make it would be delighted to see you.. 

THURSDAY 10 MARCH

Registration desk open times: 08.30 – 18.00
Exhibition open times: 10.00 – 17.00
Exhibition break-down: 17.15 – 18.30
Session 3: Genome Analysis
Session sponsored by Illumina
Illumina
Chair: Alan Ashworth, Institute of Cancer Research, London, UK (Chair of Programme Committee)
Genotypic and phenotypic characterisation of estrogen receptor negative and HER2 negative breast cancer through massive parallel sequencing of breast cancer xenografts
Matthew Ellis, Washington University Medical School, St. Louis, USA
The ICGC perspective
Mike Stratton, Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, Cambridge, UK
Aetiology of triple negative breast cancer: results from the Breast Cancer Association Consortium
Montserrat Garcia-Closas, Institute of Cancer Research, London, UK
Hedgehog overexpression predicts poor outcome and is a potential therapeutic target in basal-like breast cancer
Rob Sutherland, Garvan Institute of Medical Research, Darlinghurst, Australia
10.40 – 11.10
Refreshments
Session 4: Cell of origin and cancer stem cells
Session sponsored by Susan G Komen for the Cure®
Susan G Komen for the Cure
Chair: William Foulkes, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
Targeting breast cancer stem cells
Gabriela Dontu, Breakthrough Breast Cancer Research Unit, King's College London, UK
Targeting homologous recombination deficiency in genetically engineered mouse models of BRCA-associated breast cancer
Jos Jonkers, Netherlands Cancer Institute, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Discussion
12.30 – 13.45
Lunch
Session 5: BRCA1 and sporadic triple negative cancers
Session sponsored by Pfizer Oncology
Pfizer
Chair: Andrew Tutt, Breakthrough Breast Cancer Research Unit, King's College London, UK
New therapeutic approaches for cancer based on targeting genetic dependencies
Alan Ashworth, Institute of Cancer Research, London, UK
The effect of breast tumour subtype on relationship between tumour size, nodal status and survival
William Foulkes, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
Title of talk to be confirmed
Steven Narrod, Women's College Research Institute, Toronto, Canada
To be presented by Rebecca Dent, Sunnybrook, Toronto, Canada / National Cancer Centre, Singapore
Discussion
15.45 – 16.45
Refreshments and poster session
16.45 – 18.15
Case studies and debate: How to manage triple negative breast cancer
Session sponsored by Roche Products Ltd

I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
Lulu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2011 at 3:41pm
i have emailed my boss to see if on the off chance i can get funded for it... its a long shot but nothing ventured nothing gained.

will let you know what she says tomorrow.

Barbi im not actually a genetic counsellor per se but a breast care nurse in genetic screening so i see ladies who have a family history who are coming for their annual screening and will be doing pre-op counselling for women opting for risk reducing surgery.. i dont do this yet as a set clinic but obviously these type of discussions and referral for genetic testing etc are part of my role... ill pm you the information.
04/06-13mm,ER+, gd1, stg1,R WLE, rads
05/09-19mm,TNBC,gd3,stg1,LVI,L WLE,E-CMF,rads
01/10-BRCA2+ c.2409T>G
09/10-TAH&BSO
08/11-IPL nodes -L WLE- tax/carbo, Rads
08/13-R lung & LN mets. ENCHANT trial
Senior Advisor
Senior Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2011 at 4:01pm
Dear Barbi,

if you are in the U.S.

http://www.nsgc.org/

I think it is a wonderful profession.

all the best,

Steve
I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
Barbi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2011 at 9:02pm
Thanks Steve and Lulu for the info. I have seen lots of info but can never have too much!
Ethan07 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ethan07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2011 at 9:18am

I am BRAC-1 +  deletion 5083del 19

sstefano View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sstefano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2011 at 3:37pm
I am BRCA1  (5385insC) .
ashbug369 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashbug369 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2011 at 11:12am
Susie, I too am BRCA2+ E1415X.  I am a four year survivor, diagnosed at 35.  I have searched the internet about my particular mutation and your posts were the only thing I found.  Would love to know if you have more information.  Thanks ~Ashley
Susie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2011 at 3:37pm
Hi Ashley, I just sent you a private msg. I am trying to find the link to the Malone Study..
dx 10/08,age 56,.75 cm. Stage1 Grade3,lumpectomy,SN neg..,AC 12/08-02/09,35rads,03/09-05/09,BRCA2+(E1415X),06/09,oophorectomy 10/09,
Zometa - IV/mo.,07/09-08/10, lumpectomy #2 10/20/10 NED
Susie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2011 at 3:41pm
Hi Ashley, I just sent you a private msg. Trying to find the link to the Malone study for you to read.. S
dx 10/08,age 56,.75 cm. Stage1 Grade3,lumpectomy,SN neg..,AC 12/08-02/09,35rads,03/09-05/09,BRCA2+(E1415X),06/09,oophorectomy 10/09,
Susie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2011 at 3:55pm

Population-Based Study of the Risk of Second Primary Contralateral Breast Cancer Associated With Carrying a Mutation in BRCA1 or BRCA2
Kathleen E. MaloneColin B. BeggRobert W. HaileAke BorgPatrick ConcannonLina TellhedShanyan XueSharon Teraoka,Leslie BernsteinMarinela CapanuAnne S. ReinerElyn R. RiedelDuncan C. ThomasLene MellemkjærCharles F. Lynch,John D. Boice, JrHoda Anton-CulverJonine L. Bernstein

From the Division of Public Health Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA; Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY; Department of Preventive Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles; Division of Cancer Etiology, Department of Population Sciences, Beckman Research Institute, City of Hope, Duarte; Department of Epidemiology, University of California at Irvine, Irvine, CA; Department of Oncology, Lund University, Lund, Sweden; Center for Public Health Genomics and Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA; Institute of Cancer Epidemiology, Danish Cancer Society, Copenhagen, Denmark; Department of Epidemiology, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA; International Epidemiology Institute, Rockville, MD; and Department of Medicine, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN.

Corresponding author: Kathleen E. Malone, PhD, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, PO Box 19024, Seattle WA 98006; e-mail:kmalone@fhcrc.org.

Purpose Women with breast cancer diagnosed early in life comprise a substantial portion of those tested for BRCA1/BRCA2 mutations; however, little information is available on the subsequent risks of contralateral breast cancer in mutation carriers. This study assessed the risk of subsequent contralateral breast cancer associated with carrying a BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutation.

Patients and Methods In this nested case-control study, patients with contralateral breast cancer diagnosed 1 year or more after a first primarybreast cancer (n = 705) and controls with unilateral breast cancer (n = 1,398) were ascertained from an underlying population-based cohort of 52,536 women diagnosed with a first invasive breast cancer before age 55 years. Interviews and medical record reviews were used to collect risk factor and treatment histories. All women were tested for BRCA1/BRCA2 mutations. Relative (rate ratios) and absolute (5- and 10-year cumulative) risks of developing contralateral breast cancer following a first invasive breast cancer were computed.

Results Compared with noncarriers, BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation carriers had 4.5-fold (95% CI, 2.8- to 7.1-fold) and 3.4-fold (95% CI, 2.0- to 5.8-fold) increased risks of contralateral breast cancer, respectively. The relative risk of contralateral breast cancer for BRCA1 mutation carriers increased as age of first diagnosis decreased. Age-specific cumulative risks are provided for clinical guidance.

Conclusion The risks of subsequent contralateral breast cancer are substantial for women who carry a BRCA1/BRCA2 mutation. These findings have important clinical relevance regarding the assessment of BRCA1/BRCA2 status in patients with breast cancer and the counseling and clinical management of patients found to carry a mutation.

Written on behalf of the WECARE Study Collaborative Group.

Supported by Grants No. R01CA097397 and NCI U01CA083178 from the National Cancer Institute.

Authors' disclosures of potential conflicts of interest and author contributions are found at the end of this article.

This is the  study I was refering to.. Susie
Senior Advisor
Senior Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2011 at 6:09pm
Dear Ashley,

There is a wonderful BRCA expert at Myriad Genetics in Salt Lake City.

His name is Eric Rosenthal and I consider him a friend, even though some of Myriad’s policies truly make me nauseous. Eric is a good man and a dedicated professional.

Eric Rosenthal, PhD, ScM

Myriad Genetic Laboratories, Inc

320 Wakara Way

Salt Lake City, UT  84108

(801) 584-3054

(800) 469-7423, ext 3054 (Toll Free)

(801) 584-3615 (FAX)

He was my genetics counselor when I was diagnosed almost 7 years ago.

I think it would be an excellent resource for information regarding your mutation.

If he asks how you got his information tell him an old man named Steve from San Diego gave it to you.

all the best,

Steve

Susie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2011 at 6:23pm
Ashley, Any new information you receive, I would love to have also!! Susie
NancyJane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NancyJane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2011 at 11:33pm
I am BRCA1+ 187delAG
41yr dx 7/25/08
Lumpectomy and ax node disection (38 nodes, all clean!) 8/12/08
T2 grd 3, N0, TN IDC
BRCA1+
ACx4,Tx12 10/08-3/09
prophylactic hyst, ooph,mast & one-step recon 3/30/09
Susie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2011 at 7:14am
Ashley, Did you learn any new info on our gene mutation??
ChrisB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 30 2011 at 11:23am
Hi! I am BRCA2+ , 5578delAA

Edited by ChrisB - Sep 30 2011 at 11:26am
DX 8/11 @45; IDC, TNBC, BRCA2; Stage 1, Grade 3, 1.5 cm.
Senior Advisor
Senior Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 30 2011 at 1:07pm
Dear Nancy Jane,

we are cousins...Smile

all the best,

Steve
mindy555 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mindy555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2012 at 12:04am
Rejuvenating an old post as as I watch the Thunder/Lakers playoffs. :) 

I'm also  BRCA1-187delAG.  It's one of the of the top 3 mutations among the Ashkenazi population- and in my case is clearly from my maternal grandfather's side whose family migrated from eastern Europe to Manchester England in his youth.

Appears there are several cousins among us here!

For those who haven't already visited the FORCE site (Facing Our Risk of Cancer Empowered)  I highly recommend.

http://www.facingourrisk.org/

Edited by mindy555 - May 22 2012 at 11:44am
Dx July 2011 56 yo
Stage I IDC,TN,Grade 3
Grew to Stage IIa- No ev of node involve- BRCA1+ chondroid metaplasia
Daughter also BRCA1+
Mass grew on Taxol
FEC 6x better
BMX 3/19/12 pCR NED
BSO 6/2012
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic