FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oncologist Today, Finally...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
IndyGirl61 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IndyGirl61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oncologist Today, Finally...
    Posted: Jun 14 2010 at 6:45pm
Hi All:

It's been a few weeks since I was last here but I had to wait until I knew what my meds were. My Oncologist changed my appointment twice so I had to wait until today.
I found out I will get 4 rounds of Adriamyacin and 4 rounds of Taxol. 8 rounds total. Then 36 Rads shortly after.
My tumor was 8 centimeters, Stage II and that is was "high" Grade.. HER2 was Negative. 0/3 nodes, exscison 1, 0/2 excision 2 nodes all Negative from my Sentinal Node Biopsy. No futher evidence of disease or mestatic cancer. Praise The Lord!
I followed your advice and got copies of all procedures performed so far, including Pathology Report. I am feeling so much relief for it was such a long month waiting to see my Oncologist.
I thank you all so much for your input, prayers and best wishes. I will keep in touch during chemo to let you alll know hos it is going. Wish me luck! I am going in with a positive attitude and my chin up!!!

Getting all my long hair cut off and donating it to Locks For love this weekend. I hope I can help someone by doing so.
Wink
Thanks Again, Marianne
AGE 48 1/2,DX:April 20, 2010 TNBC(IDC Stage 2)8ct tumor removed 4/10/10. No node inv, clear margins per sent node bio & port insertion 5/5/10.
Chemo 6/23 AC/TAX for 4 mos, 2Xmonth & 6wk Rads after.
Serenitity View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Serenitity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 14 2010 at 8:01pm
Marianne

Nice to meet you. Your tumor was alrge like mine, it was at 7cm. I believe.
There were so many new things to learn, I actually put my self in robot frame of mind.
 I have still not asked for all my paperwork and hard copies of dx's.

It's like once they looked me in the eye and told me it was cancer....from that point on I turned it over to my higher power. I went along with their recommendations and suggestions and had a lumpecectomy. My bust is large double d's so I didn't miss the weight. Took the chemo and avastin and had 33 rads. It may be silly but I don't put a grade level on my cancer in my signature. Don't feel the need to.
Rad onc just told me last week to consider myself cured...now thats a mighty scary concept for tnbc patients so I just chuckled

I am powerless over what the outcome in the longrun so I live today.......very glad you are donating to locks of love, bet the hair thing will be nice and short for the summer tho

If you need a hug come knockin'!Smile

Love,
karen
aka Happy Go Lucky
member since April 22, 2009
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 14 2010 at 9:30pm
Marianne,

I'm so glad you finally got to see the onc and have your treatment plan.  Are you getting cytoxin along with the adriamycin?  Most people get the AC together followed by the Taxol. 

It looks like you have wonderful news from your path reports with no nodal involvement clear margins.  You can't get much better news than that!

When do you start treatment?  In the News/Tips/Resources section, they had some good info on chemo and radiation tips.

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IndyGirl61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 14 2010 at 10:07pm
HugHi Karen and Donna:

Thanks for the encouraging words of wisdom. I need all I can get. It is kind of strange Karen they did not really put a Grade, just said it was high. Glad that you are a survivor and beat this monster. That is the way I feel now. I feel stronger, more empowered the more knowledge that I get, too.

Donna, Yes they are giving me the Cytoxin w/Adriamyacin. I start at 8:30 am on June 23rd. My chemo will last 4-41/2 hours Bring it on!! I am ready to battle this now. They asked if I wanted to participate in a clinical trial with this medicine called Bevacizumab. I am all for helping in finding a cure for this but hesitant on this. The reason is because I am not guaranteed the medicine and depending on which trial group I am in, it could extend my chemo for up to a total of 50-52 weeks! It is in conjunction with the AC/Tax but once a week in lower doses for 12 weeks. I may get a placebo or the medication and am virtually blinded from knowing, as is my Oncologist. The reason I am being asked of course is because of the high recurrance with TNBC. I really am leaning towards not participating but will pray on it and ask my nurse some more questions if they come up before I begin therapy.
Thanks so much for caring, it means alot to me. I feel like I have come a long way since April 20th, the day of my dx, also my daughters 19th birthday. I will keep you posted girls, live everyday to the fullest and celebrate you!!
Love, Marianne
AGE 48 1/2,DX:April 20, 2010 TNBC(IDC Stage 2)8ct tumor removed 4/10/10. No node inv, clear margins per sent node bio & port insertion 5/5/10.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Serenitity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2010 at 1:27pm
Hi Marianne

I too had adriamycin and cytoxan and the avastin dose dense for the 8 weeks. Then I went on to have taxol scheduled for 12 weeks w/avastin every 3rd week , I was in the ECOG clinical trials.

But I took methotrexate in the taxol stage of chemo too, I have RA and that is the drug that supresses my auto immune disease.  This may have aLTERED MY CARDIAC SYSTEM. 

My heart scans were always good, later tho after the rads and fluid in my lungs, i developed a weakness in my heart now .
 I will be monitored til I am 75 YEARS OLD  Can you believe it and now take beta blocker and ace inhibitor for heart failure. I am 60 yrs old. 

I asked my shrink should I risk taking the avastin too and he said "throw everything you can at it" so I did. Keep on writing girl!

Hugs and best wishes ,
Karen

aka Happy Go Lucky
dawnmarie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dawnmarie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2010 at 3:04pm
Ok long story short...I have had a total of 7 surgeries in the last 8 months.
4 due to the cancer, 3 for reconstruction & complications.  Was diagnosed last Oct. TNBC Stage 1 grade 3 all 26 lymph nodes negative. Had bilateral mastectomy in December 09 and was told by my surgeon I was cancer free and it would not ever come back as breast cancer as I had no breasts to come back to....so I opted not to have the preventative chemo back in January. Lo and behold in May 10 I found another pea size lump in exact same location - upper left chest wall - had another lumpectomy (New surgeon) and was cancerous but had to go back in again to clear margins. Now I'm scheduled to see my oncologist again next week. In January he suggested 4 rounds of AC at 3 week intervals and I know everyone reacts differently but my question is this: What do I need to take to my first chemo treatment? Will I be able to drive myself or will I need someone to take me?
Has anyone hear heard of or used the cold cap by Penguin?
Thanks for any input you can give me
10/09 lumpectomy - L. breast. 12/04/09 Bilat. Mastectomy w/tissue expanders. Stage 1, Grade 3 - 26 lymph nodes neg. E/T/HER2 - All Neg. Jan. 10 refused chemo,5/10 Recur. Now 4XAC:(
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2010 at 3:43pm
Dawnmarie,

I'm so sorry you are dealing with this again.  TNBC truly sux.  I have a friend who's story is similar to yours. 

I would definitely try to take someone with you to the chemo sessions.  Besides providing support, they can drive you home if you're not feeling well.  My onc did not recommend cold caps so I can't comment on them.  My understanding is you'll still lose your hair, maybe not all over.

Please keep us posted on how you're doing with your treatment.  Wishing you the best. . . Just imagine the chemo killing those ugly cells!

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Sugar77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugar77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2010 at 5:57pm
Dawnmarie - my sister accompanied me to each chemo treatment.  It was nice to have her their for support but also to have an additional set of ears for when I saw the Oncologist before the treatment.  She is from out of town so she would come and stay for about five days after each treatment to help me out. As much as chemo was a drag, I look back on those treatments with fond memories of being with my sister. 

Sherri 
DX IDC TNBC Oct. 27, 2009, age at diagnosis 45, Stage 1, Grade 3, <1 cm, 0/2 nodes, lumpectomy, Taxotere/CytoxanX4, finished Feb. 8, 2010, radiation completed Apr. 21, 2010.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Serenitity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2010 at 9:42pm
Hi DawnMarie

I'm have been on here for a year and a half and had never heard of this cold cap

seems to me that my hair loss was the normal experience 2 weeks into chemo with  adriamycin/cytoxan with a avastin drip (I was in clinical trial).....I clipped off hair myself to  2 in lenghth . I view it as a right of passage almost. Part of the experience, and I won't part with the scarf ever.  You'll be fine , bring someone at least the first infusion...long day. I drove alone after that for the treatments

Hair loss is from the inside out so I don't know about the cap as a superficial remedy.
Anyway, its great meeting a new friend. Keep posting as it keeps my memory green.Tongue

Hugs,
Karen

Edited by Serenitity - Jun 16 2010 at 9:45pm
aka Happy Go Lucky
kirby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2010 at 9:51pm
DawnMarie,

Look in the resource section of this site. There are tips and ideas ready to be printed out for going to chemo, questions to ask the dr. etc. that you will find infomrative.
kirby

dx Feb. 2001. Age 44
Lumpectomy

2cm. no nodes stage 1 grade 3

4 rnds AC, 35 rads
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IndyGirl61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2010 at 10:03pm
dawnmarie:

Nice to meet you and sorry about dx. Like Donna said tnbc truly sux! I would def bring someone with you to your chemo sessions. If not only for support and the feeling of not being alone. I know some of us all want to be strong, and really have to be, but it does help to have a friend or family member there.
I don't know anything about cold caps because my Onc told me that my chemo is going to be aggressive so I will be losing all my hair, maybe eybrows & lashes but maybe not. but hair yes for sure. I am going to miss it. From the top of my head to the middle of my back it measures 17 inches. I have never had short hair but I am in control of that now, cancer will not get my hair!! I am donating it to Locks of Love for some little girl that may need a wig due to alopecia or cancer. It's gonna be pretty short but it will grow back and it's just hair, a very small part of me and who I am. Stay strong and I wish you peace of mind and serenity for the soul.Big smile
Marianne
dawnmarie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dawnmarie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2010 at 5:56pm
Thanks everyone :) yes I ran across the cold caps on another site but then I also found out that perhaps they are not approved here in the US.  I have already purchased my wigs & scarves and am more aprehensive about feeling sick - I'm single and live alone and must be able to work thru these chemo treatments.  My oncologist said there were good drugs these days and I hope he gives me the best of the anti nausea ones  :) I'm looking forward to getting this started and over with - my friend will be taking me the first time and I'll see how I do from there - its a good half hour from my home.
10/09 lumpectomy - L. breast. 12/04/09 Bilat. Mastectomy w/tissue expanders. Stage 1, Grade 3 - 26 lymph nodes neg. E/T/HER2 - All Neg. Jan. 10 refused chemo,5/10 Recur. Now 4XAC:(
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2010 at 7:52pm
Marianne,

My eyelashes and eyebrows thinned during treatment but it wasn't until after tx ended that I lost them.  My hair was starting to grow back on my head and low and behold, my eyelashes fell out!  I just wanted you to know so that you can be prepared and not too disappointed if it happens to you.  The good news is they will grow back. 

Donna

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic