FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vitamin D3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 45>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MsBliss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsBliss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2009 at 4:55pm
Yes, please let us know Denise.  This is probably a possibility for those that are not deficient.  But Vitamin D is not really a growth factor as much as it is a regulator of cell division, in that it normalizes this process and prevents transcription errors.  Too much can cause kidney toxicity or too much calcium in the blood, but I have not heard of it being mutagenic--but megadoses of anything--who knows?

Originally posted by dmwolf dmwolf wrote:

Whoa Nellie.   I haven't seen the data yet, but I heard from someone that taking a lot of vitD if you are NOT very deficient could be dangerous (as in, increase cancer rates).  Don't assume that any substance that acts as a growth factor is safe at high doses.   Be cautious.   Those of you downing this stuff like it's water whether or not you have low D levels should reconsider.    The guy I talked to (hearsay, I know) said that there was a biphasic response.  He said that for women who are not severely deficient,  there is a biphasic risk curve, meaning a dip of risk in the middle of the range in ingestion and higher risk on the edges.    I'll see if I find him again and locate the source. 

d
tasoulla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tasoulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 13 2009 at 4:17am
Mainsailset: Did you take the Vitamin D while in chemo or after? Did you received also and Omega 3?

mainsailset View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 13 2009 at 10:42am
Tasoulla, my blood test just before chemo started came back at 26 which the Univ. Hospital coordinator told me was just fine, so I did not supplement initially. Then 6 weeks in I asked for a 2nd test to be taken, it came back 19 and my onc wrote a script for Vit D2 50,000 IU a week. I took that for 4 weeks and my level went up to 28. At that point insurance stopped paying and I was pretty sick so I stopped taking the D until after I was through with chemo.

I didn't get any Omega 3. The Univ. Hospital I am with discouraged any supplements at all, even frowned on a multi vitamin. I didn't have an advocate like you to fight with me and so pretty much gave up and let the days drag on. Once I was out of chemo and survived what I now think was a case of Swine Flu, I became a tyrant on this stuff.
dx 7/08 TN 14x6.5x5.5 cm tumor

3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT clear 10/18/10 CT clear
tasoulla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tasoulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2009 at 9:45am
Mainsailset, my mum she's very weak,tired, and has a lot of bone pains now from chemo and i'm trying to help her as much as i can. Doctors are not very helpful and it seems like if you don't search things if you are not strong to fight and research of course every detail, every test, every info, they will not help you.
Her onco. didn't mentioned anything about Vitamin D or Omega 3 and i have search it by myself.
Most of the doctors hesitate to write anything while chemo because they are afraid that may cause any implications while having chemo.
So, the final decision is in our part to think and choose what is best.
I think at the moment while having chemo best is to have Vitamin D and after when finish chemo start Omega 3 which will help the heart and the immune system to come in normal stage.
Do you take any Omega 3 pills now?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2009 at 10:38am
Tasoulla, it's a rough time for you and your mum. Don't necessarily discount her fatigue as just one of the side effects of chemo, it's important to talk to her onc about it and see if perhaps this is a more serious reaction to the chemo bombardment than is acceptable.

If I were to do it all over I would definitely take a Vitamin D with the chemo. I would also ask for Vit B12, maybe even a shot. I noticed that I was supposed to get one with my clinical trial but the doctor for one reason or another did not follow through. I think it would have helped.

The weakness can also be because she is suffering from low red blood counts (anemia), I found my muscle mass just disappeared and as long as I was on chemo I couldn't build it back up. So check the red counts, maybe even an iron infusion is called for. Whatever the ill feelings that she is having are real, they should be addressed by the doctor.
And yes, I do take the Omega 3 now. I will tell you also that if she can spend time out in the rooms that are naturally lit, direct sunlight for extended periods of time is not recommended while on chemo, but just moving out to a day room can help tremendously. Also, the ladies here have found various drugs that help with the bone pain, that too can be addressed with her doctor.

I'm lazy (sorry) so ask that you check out the Search button at the top of page, type in bone pain and I'll bet you'll find several threads where women have discussed what works and what doesn't.

3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT clear 10/18/10 CT clear
Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2009 at 12:57pm
I just found all of these posts about Vitamin D a couple of weeks ago. Wish I had know this 3 years ago.

While having a follow-up with Doc after blood work done last week to check liver function and cholesterol levels, etc. I mentioned the Vitamin D subject to him. He said that would be automatically included in my yearly exam blood work in June 2010. I requested it be done that day, and he agreed. The results came back last Friday. My level of Vitamin D was 17. Doc wrote prescription for Vitamin D which I picked up Saturday. I quizzed the pharmacist concerning the Vitamin D2 or D3 when I retrieved the prescription. He assured me it was Vitamin D3. There was nothing on the bottle or in the literature to say one way or the other... I called back this past Monday and talked to another pharmacist. She checked and assured me that I did "Indeed have Vitamin D3".

I should be feeling like a million bucks soon. My doctor wants to see mine in the 60 range. 17 to 60 is a ways to go.......

Thanks for all the information on this particular thread. It is a good thing to know about the Vitamin D issue.

Lillie
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 L/Mast/w/SNB,1of3 Nodes+
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
8/8 thru 11/15 Chemo (Clin-Trial) DD A/Cx4 -- DD taxol+gemzar x4
No Rads.
No RECON - 11/2018-12 yrs NED
krisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2009 at 3:03pm
lillie,
it took a year, but my level is now at 60...my first blood test was 21..
Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2009 at 3:33pm
Krisa,

Would you believe it; my doctor gave me a years worth of refills on my script. Sounds like he expects it to take me a year to get to 60 also.

That is interesting.

Lillie
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
No Rads.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2009 at 3:38pm
Lillie, you got D2. We've all looked high and low and there isn't a Vit D3 prescription. The D3 is all over the counter, I had to badger my pharmacist before he would relent and tell me it was really D2. The 50,000 IU script is generally only good for 4 weeks with the insurance companies, they wanted me to retest before they would pay for an additional script for 4 weeks, but all a moot point once I found out the were giving me D2.

Edited by mainsailset - Dec 15 2009 at 3:39pm

Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2009 at 3:53pm
Thanks Mainsailset,

In reading some of the prior post on this thread that was what I was worried about.

What do I look for in the over-the-counter section to be sure I am getting the correct vitamin (D3). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm glad I posted this today since I just began taking them.

Thanks,
Lillie
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
No Rads.
Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2009 at 4:38pm
Dear Mainsetsail,

My Dummy, (sometimes I scare myself)

A few weeks ago I read information about D3 and decided I would get some OTC to try. Bought Nature's Bounty D-2000IU D3 softgel. I took them for a few days and quit because I wasn't 100% sure I needed them. Forgot about them. They were just sitting there in my cabinet staring at me everytime I opened the cabinet door for things I use everyday.

After that is when I had blood checked and found out I really do have a problem and got the prescription and all that fal-de-ral. Anyhow, I'm sure I saw some stronger ones at the drugstore. Will check tomorrow and see if I can find the 5000IU D3 softgel.

Thanks,

Lillie
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
No Rads.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2009 at 10:53pm
Lillie, why don't you try sticking with the 2000 IU soft gel for now. Take them through their course and then see what your blood levels are next time you go in for a checkup. Are you going in every 3 months or are you past that stage? The 2,000 is still a high doseage. Like most things it's good to keep in mind balance, get the calcium and mag to go with and don't try to correct all this overnight.
Good luck and glad you saw these in your medicine cabinet, oh for a good use for all the pills that now inhabit mine that I'm not taking. sheesh

unklez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unklez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2009 at 12:34am
Lillie,
I'd recommend slightly differently. Take 2 of the 2000 gels daily. Do take the calcium and magnesium as mainy suggested.

Wife Dx: Jul/09. Age: 37. Size: 3cm. BRCA: -ve. Lumpectomy: Aug/09. Micromet 1/9 node. Chemo Start: Sep/09. E5103. DD ACB-> DD Abraxane (Taxol reaction). Zometa (S0307). Canadian Fraction Rads.
tasoulla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tasoulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2009 at 8:17am
Dear all,
i have found in pharmacist the Solgar Vitamin D3 but the pharmacist told me it is better to be consumed with calcium.
There is Solgar Vitamin D, and another Vitamin D3.
My mum's result of Vitamin D3 is under 7, so i'm worry that it is very low and which is the best dose.
The thing is if it is wise to use Vitamin D3 or Vitamin D while having chemo.
Unklez why it is good to use with Vitamins Calcium and Magnesium?

All the best to you all!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2009 at 10:33am
Tasoulla, is her level of D2 & D3 combined at under 7 or is it just hte D3? Please DO go to the Vitamin D council website, and you need to combine the Calcium and Magnesium to get the maximum absorbtion for all 3. Often a Vit D reading on the same bloodwork will show she has low Calcium & Mag. It is terribly important that you combine them each day. But please, again, go the Vitamin D Council website.

Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2009 at 11:08am
Thank you Mainsetsail, Unklez and Others,

I will let you know if I decide to take 1 or 2 daily of the 2000D3's I already have.

Mainy, What strength calcium/magnesium do you take? Don't want to OD on any of this, but feel that I need to start at a level that will be helpful.

Again, thanks,

Lillie
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
No Rads.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2009 at 11:31am
Hi Lillie, great question and one I struggled with when I set out on my Vit D3 adventure. I ended up taking a combo pill which is 1,000 mg of Calcium and 500 mg of Magnesium. That is equal to 100% of RDA for the Calcium and 125% for the Magnesium. I also take a multi each day so I'm assuming I'm taking 200% RDA of Calcium and 250% of the Magnesium daily. I really don't want to go over that.
You and I are similar in age and I know the Calcium, Mag & D are of great interest to me to help my poor old bones after putting them through chemo not to mention all the other benefits.

hockeymom01886 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hockeymom01886 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2009 at 1:18pm
My vitamin D level was at a 7 when it was checked.  It should be between 30-100.  My doctor put me on 50,000 units of vitamin D per week for 10 weeks.  This has happened twice and he said that I need to take 2,000 (it was only a 1,000 the first time) units of vitamin D per day forever and have my level checked regularly.  Now that my level is going up, I feel so much better (not as achy) and will be sure to take the supplement.  Low levels of vitamin D are common with TNBC patients and recurrance is higher if your level is low.  So, be vigalant in taking care of yourself!
tasoulla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tasoulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2009 at 2:12pm
Dear hockeymom,
did you started the vitamin d while on chemo and how often you have blood work?
your doctor  told you to take vitamin d or vitamin d3?
tasoulla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tasoulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2009 at 2:19pm
dear mainsailset,
thank you for the advice for checking the vitamin d council website. i'm searching it, and i will look for the calcium and magnesium also.
the report of my mum's blood work results indicates that the result is for 25-OH VITAMIN D3 and the result is <7,6 and the normal value is >30.
Doctor's don't inform us round t vitamins subject and is serious usefulness.
They don't give attention and they don't inform us.
He wrote us a prescription and we'll take it from the hospital and i will let you know what will be.

All the best !!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 45>
  Share Topic