FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone have ACT Chemo Treatment?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 13141516>
Author
unklez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unklez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 13 2009 at 4:09pm
Dear GirlPower,

Good to hear from you.

My wife had a reaction to Taxol. Apparently it happens to 12% people so it is quite common. The oncologist switched her from weekly Taxol to biweekly Abraxane so her schedule is identical to yours now. You should be 2 Taxol treatments away from completing chemo too?

Then after a break of 3-4 weeks, depending on how she is healing from chemo, the radiation sessions will start.

She is having all the usual side effects of chemo. Managing ok though.

Edited by unklez - Dec 13 2009 at 4:16pm
Wife Dx: Jul/09. Age: 37. Size: 3cm. BRCA: -ve. Lumpectomy: Aug/09. Micromet 1/9 node. Chemo Start: Sep/09. E5103. DD ACB-> DD Abraxane (Taxol reaction). Zometa (S0307). Canadian Fraction Rads.
Kellyless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 13 2009 at 4:11pm
I had Taxol every two weeks 4 times, after the same schedule of A/C.  Bone pain was tremendous, a friend that was several months ahead of me on the same regimen had told me TAKE THE PAIN MEDS.  I started Hydrocodone and it really helped a lot, with no side effects.  I would start when I got home from treatment and take it round the clock for 3 or 4 days post - then as needed.  I had way more energy if I wasn't in pain all the time, even on pain meds. 

I was premenapausal before chemo (45 yrs old) periods stopped during A/C, but the hot flashes didn't start until the night after my first Taxol - and they are brutal.  I started Effexor with my 2nd Taxol and it does help - I have them less often and they're shorter and less intense - which makes sleep much better. 

I had a CAT scan about 5 days after my last Taxol and got the all clear.  I was allowed to go on vacation 4 weeks after chemo (blood test showed my anemia and immune system were better) and I started rads 5 1/2 weeks after my last chemo. I had my 1st post treatment mammogram in August - all clear - I have one every 6 months, along with an appointment with my breast surgeon.   I have my 2nd post treatment, every 3 month appt with my oncologist tomorrow - so far so good!  My energy level is still lower than before all this started - but I'm told that's to be expected after the amount and length of my treatment.  And being menapausal now doesn't help.  I have chemo induced arthritis now in my hands, feet & knees - especially my right knee.  I predict the weather like an old lady!  But no neuropathy, except my arm from the lymph node removal, and I hardly notice that any more.
IDC, 2.2 cm, Stage IIb,lumpectomy 1/30/09 ACx4,Tx4 36 rads
6/1/16 Local recurrence same breast, same spot 1.8cm Carb.4x every 3 wks, Taxol 12x once wk. Dbl Mast. PCR!! Reconstruction fail, NED!
Carol (Tenn) View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carol (Tenn) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 13 2009 at 4:47pm
Girlpower,
So glad you are doing okay. Well, as okay as anyone can be doing chemo. I was plagued by Thrush as well. I took Nystatin. It worked well.
You mentioned brochures, just exactly what brochures. I've been wondering how to get my hands on TNBC pamplets..is this to what you're referring? If so, tell me how I can get some, please.
Prayers,
Carol

St 2 Gr 3, A/C/T, DD
Radiation x35
Rec chest wall 07/09
Radiation x28
NED 10/24/11
NED 10/5/12
NED 03/15/13
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 13 2009 at 6:12pm
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 13 2009 at 8:44pm
Pam,

Do you remember many months ago someone mentioned this new brochure on this forum and asked us if we'd be interested in handing them out to our oncs and healthcare providers in our area?  I pm'd and asked them to send me 50 - 100, but haven't received them.  Is this what you're referring to?  Just wondering if others received theirs.

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Kag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 13 2009 at 8:47pm
Hi Girlpower - I had ACT - 4 AC every other week, followed by 4 Taxol every other week. 

I was able to have the infusions on Thursday and I took Friday off and was usually well enough to return to work on Monday -- I had the most difficulty with fatigue on the AC and found the Taxol to be much easier to tolerate - I was even able to work Fridays while on Taxol.  You did need to rest a lot!  
Dx 2.09 - IDC TN Stage 1, Grade 3 BRAC1+ no lymph node involvement, bilateral mastectomy 4/09;
ACT began May 14, 09 finished August 20, 09
girlpower731 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote girlpower731 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 13 2009 at 9:10pm
Hi Donna,

The brochures that I received were the ones that someone mentioned from the site.  I'm assuming everyone that signed up should be getting them shortly.  The package came from NJ I believe and I'm in CT, so maybe the closeness in states got me mine sooner, not sure.

I can't wait to distribute them.  They even have an insert in the center that is a questionaire that can be sent back asking about what was beneficial in the pamplet and how you received it.  I wish I had it when I first got diagnosed.

Girlpower
dx: age 31. Stage 2a, BRCA1/2 -, Lumpectomy 8/09, AC/Taxol dense dose 9/09-1/10
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote girlpower731 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 13 2009 at 9:20pm
The one thing that I wasn't prepared for as a side effect was hemmroids.  For all those that have never experienced it you are lucky, they hurt like you wouldn't believe.  I'm still having some issues with them.  I've felt really beyond my years lately with the sitz bath in the toilet and the fun bathroom sessions.  I can't wait to experience this again after having children.  But hopefully I wont have this side effect.  I talked to a bunch of woman at work that had children and they didn't experience hemmroids, so there is hope out there.

So a topic on my mind right now is hair.  Taxol is supposed to cause complete hairloss.  I have had my 4 AC treatments and 2 Taxol (2 left).  I have little "Spikes" of hair on my head and there is a part of my hair in the front that I never lost during treatment.  My friend (on the same treatment) has a head that is soft like a baby's behind and her last Taxol is tomorrow (not sure when all the hair left her head).  When do you think i should be seeing some hair--I'm talking something that would cover my scalp? 

I'm not liking the cold weather here in CT.  We have snow outside and it makes my muscle spasms/pains worse.  When I come home from work I lay in bed and have my fireplace going to keep me warm and cozy.  My life is not very eventful right now, but chemo takes alot out of you as you all know.

Girlpower

Edited by girlpower731 - Dec 13 2009 at 9:21pm
kirby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 13 2009 at 9:41pm
girlpower,  sounds like you are doing well. I only had AC [ but this was years ago] and was completely bald by 3rd tx. I started wearing beret's 4-6 weeks after last chemo. They covered up majority of the head, I had enough hair coming in where it showed that I didn't look bald and they were comfortable. I did get hemmoroids but they did go away once I finished tx. I now only get bothered during times of stress. Good luck with the yoga. I started that up after tx finding it easier on my system. Other excersize regimes brought hot flashes on. Who knows why ! Don't overdo during tx. Especially if you are working. The end is in sight.
kirby

dx Feb. 2001. Age 44
Lumpectomy

2cm. no nodes stage 1 grade 3

4 rnds AC, 35 rads
tasoulla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tasoulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2009 at 9:01am

Hi Kelly,
my mum is under the same chemo you had, and she's now at the 1st Taxol.
She's having terrible pains in her bones, all over hair body and she's having also hot flashes which makes her not to sleep at night and stay awake.The result is to feel very tired and weak.
What your oncologist did recommended you to have while taxol?hot flashes are the result of the period stopped and definetely you can't receive hormones.What other choices onco. reocommended you? I think some exercise is good while chemo but when you feel tired and the weather is bad unfortunately now in winter is not possible.
What kind of tests you are having after chemo and how often you visit your onco.?

all the best to you all!!
maryjahn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryjahn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2009 at 2:41pm
Hi--I am at the beginning of having taxotere & cytoxol treatment.  I am just starting to lose my hair and the hot flashes are horrible.  I have been taking 4-5 5mg of Melatonin to help with the sleep and it makes a huge difference--I still wake up a few times per night but I do sleep and feel rested upon waking which wasn't possible without the Melatonin.  You may have strong and vivid dreams at first but this does go away with prolonged use, is nonaddicting and has been proven to be a very helpful therapy with breast cancer.  I also take a Magnesium supplement 2 x per day which helps alot.  Yoga has made a huge difference in my life and doesn't require going outside in the cold--it will help with the aching bones and is really great first thing in the morning and also at the end of the day--Most hospitals here in California offer free Yoga classes along with treatment and it has been found to be incredibly helpful and also lengthens life and quality of life.
Best
Mary
Kellyless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2009 at 4:54pm

Tasoulla - exercise on this chemo is kind of a double edged sword, usually by the time you get to the Taxol you're suffering from anemia, the physical exhaustion is very real.  It feels very weird and kind of wrong to take more and more drugs when you are in chemo, but this is a time where you really need to treat the problems and take the drugs when you need them.  The Taxol/Nuelasta  pain is miserable, top that with hot flashes keeping you awake - UGH!  I strongly suggest she contact her doc and try some strong pain meds and see how she does.   I also started on Lunesta for sleep for a few days after each Taxol, and other nights here and there when I was having sleep issues.  I'm so glad the Melatonin is helping you Maryjahn, but the Taxotere & Cytoxol is not nearly as harsh as the ACT - stronger drugs might be in order for her mum.  And as always - don't take ANYTHING without consulting with your ONC first, no herbs, suppliments - anything OTC - without the OK from the doc. 

Also - my white counts leveled out on Taxol, I was able to skip my final two Neulasta shots with the Taxol, that helped with the bone pain as well.  It's worth asking! 
6/1/16 Local recurrence same breast, same spot 1.8cm Carb.4x every 3 wks, Taxol 12x once wk. Dbl Mast. PCR!! Reconstruction fail, NED!
Kellyless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2009 at 4:55pm
And Tousoulla - what a wonderful daughter you are coming to the board to look for help for her!  I would be proud to have you as my daughter! I promise, your love, care and concern are the very best medicine your mom could have right now. 
tasoulla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tasoulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2009 at 3:01am
Hi--I am at the beginning of having taxotere & cytoxol treatment.  I am just starting to lose my hair and the hot flashes are horrible.  I have been taking 4-5 5mg of Melatonin to help with the sleep and it makes a huge difference--I still wake up a few times per night but I do sleep and feel rested upon waking which wasn't possible without the Melatonin.  You may have strong and vivid dreams at first but this does go away with prolonged use, is nonaddicting and has been proven to be a very helpful therapy with breast cancer.  I also take a Magnesium supplement 2 x per day which helps alot.  Yoga has made a huge difference in my life and doesn't require going outside in the cold--it will help with the aching bones and is really great first thing in the morning and also at the end of the day--Most hospitals here in California offer free Yoga classes along with treatment and it has been found to be incredibly helpful and also lengthens life and quality of life. Best
Mary

Mary: when did you started yoga classes? While on chemo or before?
Hot flashes are indeed horrible, i can tell from seeing my mum sufferring from them, but Melatonin is hormones , is that ok receiving them?
Did you get tested for Vitamin D or are you receiving other supplements?(Omega 3, etc).
It is very useful to have a balance diet and i'm searching now for the right diet while on chemo but i can see it is very difficult due to strange taste my mum has. It seems that you can't have the right diet while on chemo.
Mary and Kelly What does your diet inlcudes and did you visit a nutritionist for helping you?

Wishing you all the best!!

tasoulla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tasoulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2009 at 3:49am
Hi Kelly,
and thank you for your lovely compliments!!
I'm trying to do all the best i can for my mum for this difficult situation.......
The chemo makes your body weak and you feel mentally weak also as it makes you psychologically down....
Are you receiving any Vitamin D or Omega 3? Did you get tested for Vitamin D?

All the best ,
Tasoulla

Kellyless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2009 at 12:11pm
My appt with my oncologist was moved to Friday, and I'm asking for the Vitamin tests.  There was double help when I got on the Effexor, it helps with the hot flashes and the depression that set in after round 5 of chemo, and the realization that the Taxol wasn't going to be MUCH better, which is what I had told myself.  I set myself up for failure!  It was a smidge better than the A/C, but it comes with it's own barrel of new and different complications. 
maryjahn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryjahn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2009 at 1:48pm

Tasoula,

There is a wonderful cook book by Rebecca Katz called The Cancer Fighting Kitchen.  This entire book is devoted to those trying to heal from cancer and to get you through chemo.  She has worked for years cooking for people with cancer so there are many tips on how to make food taste better, what to eat when--it's an absolute gold mine.  The bonus, the recipes are amazing.  Really yummy.  there are many I have yet to try, but it's all low sugar, low fat, high grain and vegetable foods. 

As all breast cancer patients do, I have low vit d so I take a supplement for this.  Also, I recommend this site:  breastcancerchoices.org, which has many supplemental complements to standard therapy.  I am doing the iodine protocol which you can read about on this site.  I believe that because I am taking all of these many supplements, plus juicing plus yoga that I am experiencing low pain from chemo.  Granted, I am not doing ACT which is worse, but if the TC doesn't work for me I will have to do ACT so I am trying to do everything in my power to complement my therapies.  Everyone, including my onc, tells me how great I look and how healthy I look.  Also, for those who have weight issues, I have lost 10-15 pounds doing a vegan + fish only diet!   

I have a friend who teaches yoga who is teaching me but I plan to sign up for the group classes as training with my friend is sporadic.  I have been doing this since my diagnosis 2 1/2 months ago.  It truly feels amazing.  I plan to sign up for group therapy and meditation courses as I hear that this can double your survival chances.

Best,
Mary
Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2009 at 2:17pm
A link from breastcancer.org, where a woman asked about Melatonin and a doctor replied.

Nancy
DD Lori dx TNBC June 13,2007
Lumpectomy due to incorrect dx of a cyst
mastectomy July 6 2007
chemo ACT all 3 every 3 weeks 6 tx Aug-Nov
28 rads ended Jan 2008
maryjahn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryjahn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2009 at 3:19pm
Tasoula,
Here is another site you can go to immediately as the book is on line for combining standard & complementary therapies:
Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote&nbsp;maryjahn Quote  Post ReplyReply New Post: Direct Link To This Post Posted: Today at 3:14pm
regarding mamograms:
Hi Nancy,

You have been posting some really informative stuff lately!  Thank you.  I will prefer to never have another mamogram!

I just went to Commonweal's site (retreat & learning center for cancer) and there is a book on line or available for purchase on amazon that combines the best of standard and integrative therapies!

Mary
Post Options Post Options   Quote&nbsp;maryjahn Quote  Post ReplyReply New Post: Direct Link To This Post Posted: Today at 3:14pm
regarding mamograms:
Hi Nancy,

You have been posting some really informative stuff lately!  Thank you.  I will prefer to never have another mamogram!

I just went to Commonweal's site (retreat & learning center for cancer) and there is a book on line or available for purchase on amazon that combines the best of standard and integrative therapies!

Mary
regarding mamograms:
Hi Nancy,

Mary
regarding mamograms:
Hi Nancy,

Mary
regarding mamograms:
Hi Nancy,

Mary
regarding mamograms:
Hi Nancy,

Mary
regarding mamograms:
Hi Nancy,

Mary
regarding mamograms:
Hi Nancy,

Mary
regarding mamograms:
Hi Nancy,

Mary
regarding mamograms:
Hi Nancy,

Mary
regarding mamograms:
Hi Nancy,

Mary
regarding mamograms:
Hi Nancy,

Mary
regarding mamograms:
Hi Nancy,

Mary
regarding mamograms:
Hi Nancy,

Mary
regarding mamograms:
Hi Nancy,

Mary
regarding mamograms:
Hi Nancy,

Mary
http://www.commonweal.org/pubs/choices-healing.html

Mary
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote girlpower731 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2009 at 10:20pm
I've noticed that the bottoms of my feet are peeling off.  Basically the area that most of my weight goes to and my toes.  Is there anything that I can do to help my feet?  I have been making a mental note to wear socks at night for as long as I can, but at bedtime when I get hotflashes its hard.

Also another question I had was regarding neuropathy.  Does it go away once chemo is over or is it something that I am stuck with the rest of my life?

I am happy to say that I have 1 more chemo treatment left -- Jan 4th!  I truly didn't think this day would come.  There was a point in my journey that my upbeat attitude was damaged after going to the ER a couple times and sick of vomiting and even passing out.  Somehow I pulled through and got through it and my attitude became whole again (positive). 

Girlpower
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 13141516>
  Share Topic