FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Navelbine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
cmtrots View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmtrots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Navelbine
    Posted: Mar 25 2009 at 6:09am
If you mean do I bike? No, I really don't know what I'm doing in Montana because I don't bike,hike,hunt or ski. Well I have hiked and skied a bit, but not a favorite. I really miss the big city. Can you tell? haha My husbands job moved us out here.

Hang in there 1cococo and I'm positive you'll find a treatment that works.
12/02 mast w/recon neg nodes A/C
12/05 5/11 pos nodes,taxotere
6/06 3 nod pos,6 wks rad'tn and Xeloda
7/07 lung met, lung surgery,Taxol and Carbo
8/08 lung mets again, Avastin and Abraxene
1cococo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1cococo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2009 at 7:41am
Thank you-hey do you ride? noticed trots in your sing in-I will ask about A/A treatment-seems like this cancer "loves" chemo--I have had recurrence while on treatments with every chemo-oh well I think it is hit or miss as to what works or not
cmtrots View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmtrots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2009 at 10:17am
1cococo,

As you can see I've had a lot of chemo too. I'm currently on Abraxane and Avastin, which is working well for my lung mets. When my lung mets came back for the second time I seeked 2 opinions. One from my doc here (Montana) and Dr. Sledge (who is under resources on this web site) who use to be my doc when I lived in Indianapolis. He's also a top researcher and on the cutting edge of breast cancer. Anyway. Dr. Sledge told me he would start with A/A combination to battle my lung mets and if that stopped working he would use Navelbine and Avastin. My doc here agreed. Oh, and my doc here called the cancer center in Seattle to get a third opinion, which they agreed too.
So all three doctors said "Abraxane/Avastin first and if that doesn't work try Navelbine/Avastin second". As I said this A/A treatment is shrinking my larger nodules and actually some of the very small ones have disappeared. Maybe you should look into A/A too. I agree with Pinehouse you need to be very aggressive with this.

Right now I truly think Avastin is the key at keeping this disease under control. Paired with a chemo drug of course.

Hope this helps. Sending you positive thoughts and wishing you good luck:)

cmtrots
12/02 mast w/recon neg nodes A/C
12/05 5/11 pos nodes,taxotere
6/06 3 nod pos,6 wks rad'tn and Xeloda
7/07 lung met, lung surgery,Taxol and Carbo
8/08 lung mets again, Avastin and Abraxene
1cococo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1cococo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2009 at 8:41am
Thank you Pinehouse for your response-single agent because of amounts of chemo I have had
Have had second opinion from Cancer Center at Stanford-Dr Ellie Guardino-they had nothing to offer me so my Oncologist conferred with her staff and staff at Stanford and came up with the Gemzar routine which has not worked-also tried to get into clinical trials at UCSF-nothing open- my Oncologist and I did a telephone conference with Dr Rugo there-they also had nothing to offer-
will meet with Oncologist on 31st so wanted to do research before that meeting-think Navelbine is an older drug
will definitely ask about using in conjunction with Avastin

PineHouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PineHouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2009 at 6:25pm
1cococo,

I'm just wondering why you think Navelbine would have to be taken as a single agent?  There are 2 different schools of thought.  Some oncologists believe you want to go one drug at a time so that you don't run out drug too fast.  Some oncologists believe that a combo drug has a better chance for response so it's worth the risk of "using up" drugs.

I personally think TNBC needs to be treated more aggressively.  What does your oncologist think about using Avastin along with Navelbine.  I know a couple of people who's doing that combo.

Also if it's feasible, you may want to get a 2nd and 3rd opinions.  Bear in mind that you don't have to postpone starting your chemo in order to get 2nd opinions.  So the 2nd opinion is just getting more information to take back to your oncologist, in case he's open to modify your treatment or in case you do have to change your treatment for any reason in the future.

Warm thoughts for you.  I know being TN is really not fun.  And I know most of us just don't have the energy to keep track and learn everything.

Big hugs
Stage IV lung-06/06 brain-12/08 BRCA1 TNBC
Avastin+Taxol,Carboplatin,PARP-Inhibitor,Navelbine+Xeloda,Avastin+Ixempra,Doxil+Cytoxan
Currently Abraxane+Gemzar (3/09)
http://pinehouse.wordpress.com/
1cococo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1cococo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2009 at 4:10pm
I have recurrence--was diagnosed 2007 with IIIA--went on neoaduvant dose dense-Adriamycin and Cytoxan in addition was on Taxol-modified mastectomy-6/7 nodes tested positive-went on docetaxel and carboplatin only got 5 rounds of this as subclavical lymph nodes tested positive-so into radiation (33)with concurrent Xeloda-more recurrence this time in lungs-so went on Gemzar--now not only are tumors growing but I have new ones in both lungs--Navelbine has been suggested as next step
anyone been on it or know of it-would have to be taken as single agent
thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic