FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

3D mammograms much better than 2D

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down
Senior Advisor
Senior Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3D mammograms much better than 2D
    Posted: Mar 15 2023 at 4:18pm
Dear all,

I tried to cut and paste the link from medical news today without success  But if you google medicalnews.com the study should come up and it may be important for those of you doing surveillance to try to go to a facility that has 3D technology.

From the study-

• In a large study of more than one million women, researchers compared how well 2D and 3D mammograms detect breast cancer.
  • They found that 3D mammograms were significantly more effective than 2D mammograms.
  • The scans are currently undergoing clinical trials.

Digital breast tomosynthesis

Trusted Source (DBT), also called a 3D mammogram, is a newer screening technology that captures x-ray images from multiple angles allowing radiologists to see 3D images of breast tissue, as opposed to the single image from a standard 2D mammogram.

Research shows that DBT is linked to a 21%Trusted Source increase in cancer detection compared to mammography. It is also shown to have particularly good results for younger womenTrusted Source and those with denseTrusted Source breasts.

with my love to all,

Steve
I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic