FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A fairly new important specialty

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down
Senior Advisor
Senior Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A fairly new important specialty
    Posted: Nov 04 2020 at 1:52am
Dear TNBC Family,

I have seen many people with heart conditions have chemotherapy or people on chemo develop heart conditions and others not properly tested before they embarked on chemotherapy and I just wanted to mention an emerging specialty (probably in last 3-5 years) of cardio-oncology. The numbers of cardio-oncologists are growing, as they should.

Here is a link to one center and an explanation of services offered-

https://www.pennmedicine.org/for-patients-and-visitors/find-a-program-or-service/heart-and-vascular/cardio-oncology-program

As many of you know the standard ACT regimen has cardio toxicity and it is important, if possible, in my unprofessional view, for a person embarking on that program or others 
to make sure they are properly evaluated cardio-wise prior to starting treatment and/or if they run into problems to again be properly evaluated, perhaps by a cardio-oncologist.

The following is an article from the Cleveland Clinic (number one ranked cardio center in the country) on the topic-

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/16858-chemotherapy--the-heart-cardiotoxicity

with my love to all here,

Steve

Edited by SagePatientAdvocates - Nov 04 2020 at 1:55am
I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic