FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

vision after chemo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vivian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: vision after chemo
    Posted: Nov 03 2020 at 10:11pm
I had really bad vision after chemo: heavy and puffy eyelids, blurred vision, sensitive to light, easily tired, hard to focus both far and near, etc. I was so stressed with the condition.  

I thought the chemo made my eyes age fast and that was it. Until one day, I decided to see the eye doctor. She checked my eyes with all kinds of equipment. Then she saw the oil glands in my eyelids were clogged. She squeezed out the oil and unclogged the glands. I felt immediate relief. She told me I also had dry eyes. 

My guess is: chemo harms the glands (dry mouth, dry skin, etc) including oil glands in eyelids, causing dry eyes. Chemo also caused eyelashes to fall and then tiny particles could into the oil glands. And dry eyes can bring in all kinds of eye symptoms. 

The doctor let me use warm pad to put on my eyes twice a day, and recommended some eye gel to use at night to keep it lubricated. I am not doing either: my own eyes are working just fine without any aids.

I just want to write this out for anyone who might benefit from my experience. I am so happy to be able to see well again with this small fix.  
Dx 12-27-2019 TN,Stg 1, Grade 3 Ultrasound 1.5cm/MRI 1.8cm, node-,BRAC-.
DD AC x 4, ultrasound cCR;
DD T x 4
Lumpectomy:5-28-2020; 0/2 nodes. pCR.
Radiation: 20x
SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down
Senior Advisor
Senior Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2020 at 1:34am
Dear Vivian,

Thank you for writing such an important post. Two women I have helped both had vision issues caused by their chemo. The eye doctors they saw were not as knowledgeable as the oncologist I brought them to, who specialized in chemo related eye issues.  I am delighted you had a good experience with the eye doctor.

warmly,

Steve
I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
Vivian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2020 at 6:36pm
Hello Steve,

I have read many kind deeds you did for women on this forum over a decade. I am glad to finally virtually meet you here!

I am sorry that your friends are experiencing vision issues. Chemo strikes our system sometimes in ways that's not written in textbook. I feel lucky to have my issues resolved easily, and I can tell how much your friends want to restore their vision to carry on their lives after treatment! Good luck to them! 

Vivian

DD T x 4
Senior Advisor
Senior Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2020 at 8:12am
Dear Vivian,

Thanks for your kind words and very nice to 'meet' you, as well.

This is from a well respected site-

https://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/side_effects/vision_probs

with my love to all here,

Steve
I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
Vivian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2020 at 11:39am
Thank you, Steve! The link indeed lists my previous major eye problems. I guess it was Taxol (similar to Texotere) that caused these issues.
DD T x 4
Senior Advisor
Senior Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2020 at 10:38am
You're most welcome, Vivian.

I helped a young woman (in her 30's) with breast cancer about 7 years ago and she developed eye issues. We went to a plastic surgeon in San Diego who recommended surgery and then I was referred to a Dr. Bita Esmaeli who recommended the woman have patience, not surgery, and she recommended some medications and the problem resolved in a few months.

https://faculty.mdanderson.org/profiles/bita_esmaeli.html

I accompanied the PT to see Dr. Esmaeli at MD Anderson Cancer Center and it was one of the most fascinating presentations I have ever attended. 

with my love to all here,

Steve

123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2020 at 11:32am
Hi Vivian,

So glad they were able to diagnosis and fix your problem.  I had lots of eye issues during chemo, mostly watery eyes and blurred vision. 

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Vivian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2020 at 9:56pm
Hi Donna, Thank you for sharing your experience. I have been learning a lot from your posts on this forum!

Steve, your young friend's story is enlightening. I hope there are more doctors like Dr. Bita Esmaeli who will take consideration of the overall condition of patients, making efforts to minimize potential harm from forceful intervention. Our body has huge healing power if rightly directed; we, especially young people like your friend, should definitely be given the chance to activate our physical potentials. 

DD T x 4
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic