FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taxol/AC Treatment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
yestalinem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yestalinem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taxol/AC Treatment
    Posted: Nov 07 2020 at 8:04pm
Hello, 

My mom was diagnosed with TNBC Stage 2, 2cm, end of June 2020. It hasn't spread to her lymph nodes. She just completed her 9th round of Taxol/Carbo, she has 3 more to go. Then she has 4 treatments of A/C. She received immunotherapy (Kaytruda) before starting chemo. So far, Taxol and Carbo hasn't been too bad. We ice her toes and fingers so she doesn't get neuropathy. She gets slightly nauseous time to time, but it's mostly because of digestion. Her skin has gotten very sensitive (she breaks out) and her legs get restless at night, which I find is a weird side effect. She also has gotten a nose bleed here and there. I think the most significant side effect is her energy. She sleeps a lot. She describes it as feeling like she has a head cold. Claritin 24 hour helps her with this. 
She has lost a lot of hair, but not all (she cut it very short too). She hasn't lost her eyebrow hair or eyelashes.
She smokes marijuana to help with any side effects since the nausea meds they prescribed were harsh and the idea of adding that to the poison already being pumped through her, didn't sit well with her. It helps her a lot.
Hope this was helpful.
Butterflygal70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterflygal70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2020 at 8:02am
Thank you Steve. I heard of the cold cap but i have already lost most of my hair since this post. Yesterday was my first day of work wearing a cap. I was nervous at first but pushed through it and it’s not so bad. Losing my hair is so minimal I realize. Thank you for the suggestion though. 
Radnam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Radnam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2020 at 7:45am
Hello,
We are in the same boat. My wife was diagnosed with TNBC on 01-Oct. 3.5 cm tumor in right breast + 2 lymph nodes. Starting chemo today. AC w/ Immunot.herapy (4 doses every other week), followed by TC. That's the treatment plan.

We've heard that AC is pretty strong. Question... Today is Day1. Is Keytruda (immunotherapy) ok to be administered alongside AC, right from the 1st day?
IC1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IC1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2020 at 7:34pm
Oh and yes I have done genetic testing. No genetic markers, I guess just bad luck. :-(
IC1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IC1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2020 at 7:21pm
Thank you very much SagePatient.  That's helpful.  So much information out there, and decisions need to still be made timely, hearing about one treatment after starting your own can be jolting to the psyche. 
I did look into the cold caps and decided it was not for me.  Cancer and chemo was daunting enough, I felt the technology needed improvement.  I also did not have someone that really would have been able to perform the treatment as it would be difficult on my own.  I hope your daughter is doing well and thank you for being and advocate. 
SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down
Senior Advisor
Senior Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2020 at 7:07pm
Dear IC1,

Welcome to our wonderful TNBC forum. 

I am a patient advocate and have helped hundred of women here. When my daughter was diagnosed in 2004 the 'standard' chemo treatment was ACT. Now various cancer centers may have different approaches, based on many factors.

Has your oncologist mentioned a 'cold cap' to you? I am not a medical professional and will not give you advice about whether to use it or not but many women I have helped have used it in recent years and have not lost their hair. There are some definite negative issues about using it and you may decide it is not for you. But I think it is worth a talk.

Hopefully you have done genetic/molecular testing?

wishing you the best of luck with your treatment.

warmly,

Steve
I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
IC1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IC1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2020 at 4:53pm
Hi, I'm so sorry about your diagnosis.  I have also recently been diagnosed and feel like I am still disoriented.  I had my lumpectomy Sept 9, 0.6cm, clean margins and negative nodes, staged at 1b, grade 3 TNBC.  Since lumpectomy I moved my treatment to a major research hospital.  I started my 1st of 4 chemo rounds but mine is with Taxotere/Cytoxan.  I wasn't even given a choice about AC.  I will then have radiation.  I was under the impression chemo treatment was standard.  Is anyone aware about which chemo treatment is better? The steroids I was put on messed with my sleep, and I am starting to shed.  I'm told the chemo will impact me more as it builds up in my body.  I plan to shave my head by the end of this week.  I just read a study that TC was more toxic than AC but at 27 months they both had the same survival rate.  I learned something new I guess.  Hope this helps. If anyone has any insight on AC v. TC please share. Thanks.
Butterflygal70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterflygal70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2020 at 8:53pm
Hi. I was diagnosed Sept 13 and started chemo Oct 1.  I have been reading a lot of treatment experience starting with AC then 12 weeks of taxol. I am doing 12 weeks of taxol with every other week adding Carbo. Then 2 months of AC every 2 weeks. Has anyone had this same treatment plan to give me some things to expect? I’ve been feeling good so far and had 4th treatment today. Hair barely shedding but I cut it short recently so will I lose it along with eyelashes etc on taxol.
Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic