FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Integrative Medicine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
CMDW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMDW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Integrative Medicine
    Posted: May 13 2020 at 8:32am
I had so many questions for my oncologist.  He is a well respected doctor and is willing to spend the time but when I began asking questions about organic food and supplements, he referred me to an integrative medicine doctor.  This was not covered by my insurance but his advice was worth every penny.  I saw him at various stages of my treatment (ACT, then lumpectomy, then radiation) and will continue to do so.  This additional treatment was instrumental in my management of side effects, I believe.

I also am in agreement with getting Vitamin D levels checked.  Mine was borderline at time of diagnosis (30) and I wonder if I would have been able to ward off the disease if it had been higher.  I now take a supplement daily. 
femmelyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmelyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 2:12pm
I am also wondering about the connection between breast cancer and Vitamin D deficiency. I was diagnosed as deficient several times in the 4 to 5 years before my diagnosis and was on a supplement. But the possible connection was never mentioned and other than my annual blood work, I never knew if I should continue to take the supplement or not. One year it would be fine and the next it would be low. You can bet I share the connection with everyone I can these days. Even if it isn't actually the cause, it doesn't hurt to stay on to of it.

I'm glad to hear about the integrative medicine doctor -- I am going to ask about a nutritionist or holistic doctor again. It was so hard to remind the oncologist as I just finished my dense-dose ACT after a lumpectomy. Radiation will be next, but I'm concerned about my increased heart rate at this point. I did try to take supplements based on things I read (after clearing them with the oncologist who agreed with all my requests) but would like to get more deliberate about what I'm taking now that the chemo isn't going to be messing with my thought process quite as much.
dx 12-10-19 | age 55 | TNBC stage IB grade 3 | 1.2 cm 0/2 nodes | BRCA- | lumpectomy 1-6-20 | ACx4 started 2-5-20 finished 3-26-20 | Taxol x4 started 4-9-20 finished 5-21-20 | 20 rads finished 7-20-20
Neen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 5:35pm
Femmelyn, do you know what your radiation treatment will be?  You and I mirror each other in many ways. Interested in your progress! Thank you...
femmelyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmelyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 6:15pm
My appointment with the radiation oncologist is June 9 so I will find out the plan then.
dx 12-10-19 | age 55 | TNBC stage IB grade 3 | 1.2 cm 0/2 nodes | BRCA- | lumpectomy 1-6-20 | ACx4 started 2-5-20 finished 3-26-20 | Taxol x4 started 4-9-20 finished 5-21-20 | 20 rads finished 7-20-20
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 11:40am
CMDW,

Yes, there definitely seems to be a link and most diagnosed with bc had low or was deficient in Vitamin D.  I found out I was deficient when going through treatment.  Vitamin D helps chemo and radiation work better so you want to get your levels to normal or optimal.

From breastcancer.org  "Research suggests that women with low levels of vitamin D have a higher risk of breast cancer. Vitamin D may play a role in controlling normal breast cell growth and may be able to stop breast cancer cells from growing."

Please check out this thread, there is so much information and discussion of Vitamin D.

Donna

Edited by 123Donna - May 26 2020 at 11:43am
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

CMDW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMDW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 1:19pm
Thank you!  Your posts have been most informative and interesting.

Keeping up the 2000 units per day from a food based supplement. Will get rechecked in July.  Hope this helps many others.
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2020 at 12:45pm
Hi CMDW,

It's good they are checking your Vit D levels every few months.  It takes time for the levels to increase.  My levels were extremely low (deficient) when I finished chemo.  It took me taking 5,000 to 7,000 ius of D3 daily for several months to get me to a normal level.  My onc tested me every 3 months.
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic