FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Basic questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nenny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Basic questions
    Posted: May 04 2020 at 2:59pm
hello everyone, I am new to the forum.  
I have two questions
1- there are different trains of thought regarding chance of recurrence of TNBC, or metastasis. Are the chances lower after five or seven years? Also , when do you start the count? From diagnosis, last treatment, or news of complete response to chemo?
2- does anyone suffer with moderate tightness in neck and shoulder area after radiation.  Four negative axillary nodes removed but have moderate cording and nerve pain in arm on side of radiation. Chemo ended June 2019,  lumpectomy July 2019, last radiation treatment September 2019.
Thank you for any response 
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2020 at 11:57am
Hi Nenny,

There has been much discussion in the past on when you start counting.  It seems most of the time it's from diagnosis.  Studies seem to use the five year end point when comparing breast cancers and recurrence patters.

The following are a few links to studies:

In response to your other question about tightness from radiation, this is a common side effect.

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Nenny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2020 at 2:47pm
thank you so much for your response 123 Donna!  I appreciate it so much 
Nenny
Plume View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plume Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2020 at 5:28am
Donna, this is not the first time (and probably won't be the last) that I have to send you special thanks.

Your first link was of the most interest to me because it relates best to my situation.  After reading it, I actually feel really upbeat about my cancer condition.

The link talks about 5-year survival and how the threat of recurrence recedes after that.  I am nearing the end of my 3rd year and, also taking into account other factors like age mentioned in the article, I have every reason to be reassured.

Having had crippling doubts and fears for nearly 3 years, it's meant the world to feel so happily reassured.

Thank you for all your good work on the forum and, I am sure, elsewhere.
Marymom View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marymom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2020 at 6:08am
Ditto for me too!  Thank you Donna! Your information over my last 2.5 years has gotten me through some rough days.  The first link was for me as well, uplifting and encouraging!

Thank you for your generous information, time and goal to keep us informed in a positive way!
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2020 at 12:23pm
Nenny, Plume & Marymom,

You are so welcome.  The highest risk for TNBC is within the first few years and then goes down.  After 5 years, we actually have better odds than other types of bc.  The fear of recurrence is the worst part of this disease and it's hard for others to understand what you are going through.  You'll get through this and each year, worry less and less.  Take care and stay strong!

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Marymom View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marymom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2020 at 11:24am
123 Donna...a real big social distance virtual hug!  Happy Mother’s Day all!♥️
kirby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2020 at 12:43pm
Nenny, I had problems with my shoulder and arm from "cording" due to scar tissue. Surprisingly the tissue in my breast, not the axillary. I got permanent relief from massage. An experienced therapist that knows how to break up the scar tissue. It was rather painful and bruised at times but it worked! It took maybe 4 sessions. Hard to remember that far back now. 

Kirby

kirby

dx Feb. 2001. Age 44
Lumpectomy

2cm. no nodes stage 1 grade 3

4 rnds AC, 35 rads
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic