FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taxol bi-weekly x 4 or weekly x12?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Neen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2020 at 10:34pm
You will be fine... sounds like you have a plan and choices. Tips for Taxol that help, ice hands and feet to fight neuropathy. Take folic acid and iron for white blood count. Stay strong and get through this.. we will survive and live!
Vivian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2020 at 12:02am

Yes, Neen, survive and live! Treatment for survival, and minimize the side effects to live after we are through all these. Thank you for the tips!!
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2020 at 11:52am
I just wanted to drop by and give you a word of encouragement.  I got it over 11 years ago with Taxotere, 4 treatments 3 weeks apart.  The weekly Taxol or biweekly Taxol looks like it may have less neuropathy side effects due to lower doses at a time.  At the time, my onc suggested B-6 Vitamin 100 mg twice a day.  I had the side effects during treatment and after treatment ended.  I found the more I moved and exercised, it helped improve the condition.  The mornings were always the worst getting out of bed.  I felt 100 years old.  Now it's been 11 years later and the only continuing thing I notice is a slight tingling in my fingers from time to time.  It doesn't bother my day to day activities and I'd say I'm 95% recovered.  Hopefully any side effects you experience are short term and will get better in the year or years following treatment.

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Vivian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2020 at 7:16pm
Hello Donna, 

Thank you for sharing your experiences and links! Sorry that I didn't reply earlier: I didn't notice the page number at the bottom where you post is on the 2nd page. 

I will start my first bi-weekly Taxol next Friday. As much as I'd like to finish Taxol quickly, if I run into any concerning Neuropahy symptoms, I will not hesitate to make adjustments. 

Thank you again for the information! I will watch closely how my body reacts and remember to ask my doctor about Vitamin B6. 

Cancer treatment will leave permanent marks on us. I truly hope any side effect is short term even if it takes years to go away; we all do.  
Andrea Sherman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrea Sherman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2020 at 3:19pm
Hi. Sounds like I'll be on the same regimen as you with 8 biweekly over 16 wk, 4 AC, 4 Taxol. I'm being treated by Sloan and starting in a week or two since post-surgery healing. I know everyone reacts differently but I'm trying to decide whether to schedule my treatments midweek or Fridays, ie, time when I potentially may feel the worst. Did the few days of steroids help? (if you took them) I'm wondering if the steroids would enable me to try and work a couple days or if will likely feel crappy the first few days, get treated Fridays so no work pressure over weekends. If you were doing every other week, how did you feel on your off-treatment weeks? Up for exercising, socializing? Thanks, I find it so helpful to hear experiences to demystify the process ahead, even though we surely have different experiences with side effects.
Vivian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2020 at 4:07pm
I just finished AC and will start Taxol next Friday. 

For AC, I usually feel bad in the first 3 days. I take 2 long naps in the first days. From day 4, I regain a little energy. Day by day I feel better. I still need a lot of rest and always take a nap but am able to eat/drink more regularly. I start moving/exercising more from there. 

Somethings I learned: 
-each something solid before bed at night helps: it won't be too empty to feel nauseatic, and I can sleep more soundly. 
-prepare soupy food for the first several days. Crackers won't do as they are too rough and dry. 
-I eat while watching drama so I don't focus on the taste of the food. Nothing feels really tasty so as long as I can get it in, I try not to think of it. 

I was given steroid through IV before chemotherapy. I had occasional heat rashes for a few days after each infusion, which I assume it was from the steroid. 

I know some people continue working during chemotherapy. Each person is different. Your body will signal you what it needs. Good luck! 
Dx 12-27-2019 TN,Stg 1, Grade 3 Ultrasound 1.5cm/MRI 1.8cm, node-,BRAC-.
DD AC x 4, ultrasound cCR;
DD T x 4
Lumpectomy:5-28-2020; 0/2 nodes. pCR.
Radiation: 20x
Andrea Sherman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrea Sherman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2020 at 6:52pm
Thanks for sharing these tips Vivian, noted! Maybe I'll have treatments Fridays when husband around over weekend to help me and hope better each day after and able to work in between resting. I work from home, as do so many now with the COVID19 frenzy! I truly can't believe starting chemo in the midst of this health crisis. 
Kellyless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 04 2020 at 4:09am
Ive.done both, 12 weekly is much better than dose dense - which is what the 4 ever other is. And theyve.proven they're equally effective, so dose dense is unnecessary. Trust mw, in the grand scheme of things the time factor is inconsequential, and you're less ill. You probably can ditch the shots for white blood cell production - less.risk of those complications as well. 
IDC, 2.2 cm, Stage IIb,lumpectomy 1/30/09 ACx4,Tx4 36 rads
6/1/16 Local recurrence same breast, same spot 1.8cm Carb.4x every 3 wks, Taxol 12x once wk. Dbl Mast. PCR!! Reconstruction fail, NED!
Beth1280 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beth1280 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2020 at 5:53pm
Hello everyone,

I have been lurking the forum for a little while. I bumped into it while searching online about my diagnosis. It is hard to find out that you have cancer, let alone to know that you have the most aggressive form. I was diagnosed a week before thanksgiving 2019. A 3cm tumor was removed, triple negative ,no limph nodes involved KI67 20%. I received 4 a/c every three weeks and now I am on taxol weekly .My oncologist never mentioned anything about dose dense. She is a great doctor, but she hasn’t had many triple negative patients. If someone could recommend a triple negative expert I live in San Diego C.A. I will like to see one once I am done with my treatment. I feel that the more I learnt about this disease, the more I think I could have made a different decision. I don’t Know everything happened so fast.

Thank you 
Vivian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2020 at 12:45am
Hi Beth,

I don't know any doctors in San Diego but I am sure other people can give you some recommendations when they see your post. 

You said you had the tumor removed before chemo. My treatment is chemo first, then surgery. I wanted to know how my tumor would respond to the chemo drugs. Either way will lead to the same survival rate (research shows). It's just that knowing how tumor responds to chemo helps to know the prognosis. But again it doesn't affect the treatment outcome. 

I see you had A/C every 3 week. Mine is every other week. My doctor followed the guideline exactly since I don't have other health/genetic situations.  
https://www2.tri-kobe.org/nccn/guideline/breast/english/breast.pdf  (page 51 & 53 for triple negative breast cancer) Mine is the 1st preferred regimen. 

My doctor also didn't mention dose dense Taxol. I requested it and he agreed. It all went all. I will write a update later with more details. 

Will you have radiation after Taxol? I will have surgery soon (3 weeks after my last chemo), and then radiation starting one month after surgery. 

It's a good idea to seek 2nd opinion/different doctor if you don't have full confidence in your doctor. I hope you get some recommendations soon. 

Our diagnosis came around the similar time...good luck to us!

DD T x 4
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2020 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by Beth1280 Beth1280 wrote:

Hello everyone,

My oncologist never mentioned anything about dose dense. She is a great doctor, but she hasn’t had many triple negative patients. If someone could recommend a triple negative expert I live in San Diego C.A. I will like to see one once I am done with my treatment.

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Beth1280 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beth1280 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2020 at 4:46pm
Hi Vivian,

Thank you for answer. My biopsy came back negative. It seems like the tumor was hardened and did not catch cancer cells. They did a lumpectomy that is when they realized it was cancer. I will talk to my doctor about dose dense Taxol. I am receiving 12 one every week. The last 4 A/C left me in really bad shape and with low counts. I am also having radiation after Taxol. Hopefully everything turns out well for both of us. 
Beth1280 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beth1280 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2020 at 4:48pm
Thank you for the information Donna.
Vivian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2020 at 1:27am
Hi Beth,

I hope your Taxol infusion is going well. My oncologist told me weekly Taxol was more tolerable, and less toxic than bi-weekly ones. 12 weekly Taxol is one of the standard regimens, more frequently used than 4 bi-weekly Taxol. I chose bi-weekly hoping to get a less total dose of the drug, but it might not matter so much. 

I am recovering from the side effects from chemo. AC was hard on me, and Taxol was much easier. During Taxol, I didn't have allergic reaction, nail problem, nausea/vomiting, or bad taste. The downsides of bi-weekly Taxol are:
-The infusion time was long: with pre-meds, it could last 4 hours. I had to ice my hands & feet for at least 3 hours. 
-I had to use white blood cell boost shot (filgrastim, a short term daily shot) for 7 days for each infusion. This shot caused some bone pain/muscle sore.
-I felt some bone/muscle pain from the chemo: weekly Taxol may only trigger mild symptoms.
-neuropathy: I had mild symptoms after each round of chemo. It usually appeared abouot 1 week after chemo, and improved after several days. The symptom is odd: my feet feel itchy if I exercise/walk a lot and they become warm. My fingers handled it better, especially in the last 2 rounds. My doctor said he had never heard of such form of neuropathy. He considered the symptoms mild and temporary. It's been 2 weeks since my last chemo and I still feel the itchiness when I go for walking, but like in previous rounds, it's getting better. So there is hope.

Everyone is different in how they respond to chemo drugs. To me, Taxol is a much easier course than AC. I am simply happy that I have completed it.  

DD T x 4
Debaura211 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debaura211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 1:51pm
I am new to this forum. I started T/C (Taxol weekly, Carbo every 3rd week) in early March. It's been brutal on my blood, causing delays in treatment due to low platelet, hemoglobin, and neutrophil counts. I've had a red blood transfusion and filgrastim injections, and my dosage has been reduced twice.

When I complete this regimen, I switch to AC, which I hear is worse. Has anyone else experienced these kinds of delays?

Deborah
DX 2/11/2020, Age 65m TNBC, IIb, 2 cm
Vivian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2020 at 10:57am
Hi Deborah,

I managed to get through chemo without delays but I read other people's posts talking about delays they had during chemo. You can talk to your doctors about your concerns and the potential impact on prognosis.  

I had more and worse side effects during A/C than Taxol; I didn't have carboplatin with Taxol. You may or may not feel the same as others; everyone reacts differently. I hope you can get through chemo without too much hardship. 

Vivian
DD T x 4
Debaura211 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debaura211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2020 at 4:59pm
Thanks, Vivian. I saw Doc yesterday and she is eliminating the Carbo from my 4th cycle of T/C; she thinks Carbo is the culprit. Let you know how it goes...
Vivian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2020 at 8:17pm
I also think Carbo is the cause. It can promote pCR but it has a lot of serious side effects. 
Let us know how you do without it.

Since you’ve pulled yourself through this very difficult drug combination, A/C probably won’t be even harder. You can make it! 
DD T x 4
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic