FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ways to prevent reccurence

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Suebhs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suebhs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ways to prevent reccurence
    Posted: Jan 25 2020 at 10:55am
Hi ladies. As I'm starting to finish up chemo (one more round left) and beginning radiation, I'm starting to focus more things I can do and lifestyle choices I can make to reduce the chance of cancer returning. I was wondering if anyone can share some proven strategies we can untake in our lives to take control and reduce the risk of reccurrence. Some things I've researched and have read about that are specigic to tnbc are daily exercise, maintaining a healthy weight, drinking green tea, hibiscus flower tea/extract, walnuts, a fruit and vegetables based diet. Any others?

Edited by Suebhs - Jan 25 2020 at 4:19pm
Laurarev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laurarev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2020 at 1:04pm
I would love to hear some replies to this as well. I have 6 radiation treatments left, and then I guess I’m finished. I am so apprehensive about what I should or shouldn’t be doing to prevent reoccurrence. I recently read an article that stayed TNBC survivors should eat a low fat diet and avoid foods containing high levels of methionine. 🤷🏻‍♀️
Suebhs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suebhs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2020 at 1:16pm
Yes, I just found another article online that said eating a low-fat diet, plant based diet, engagingg in regular exercise and maintaining a healthy weight is particularly beneficial for tnbc and preventing reccurrence. 
Laurarev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laurarev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2020 at 1:20pm
It seems as though some of the healthy foods (like avocado , salmon, eggs, and almonds) that are recommended for other breast cancers, are not advised for TNBC. It’s so confusing to know what we should be eating. I just want to make the best choices I can. I have spoken to the nutritionist at my hospital numerous times, and she has said that we just don’t know enough. A lot of studies have only been done on mice, and clearly we are not mice! Ugh 
Suebhs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suebhs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2020 at 2:35pm
I totally agree with what you're saying! I eat all of things you listed regularly thinking I was making healthy choices. Now I'm more confused than ever. I'm meeting with my clinic's oncology nutritionist next week and I'm curious what she recommends. I honestly have no problem with making some serious lifestyle changes if it will help prevent reccurrence but I just want to make sure I'm helping the situation and not making it worse. 
mainsailset View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2020 at 5:35pm
I don't think the idea of having a recurrence has ever, in the over 10 years it's now been, far from my conscious thinking. It's still just always there.

I live by some simple rules; I avoid stress whenever and however I can. And I have read books about how to hardwire your brain to survive and remodel stressful situations.

I exercise much more than I ever used to and plan outings and places to go that will let me out into nature rather than a gym. Being out hiking in the mountains has been a gift of strength I know has helped.

I used to use sugar products and chocolate as kind of a mini vacation, or anxiety med. They were the first thing I reached for when something bad cast its shadow. But then I also discovered that sugar and chocolate can act as a stimulant for anxiety and that's not what I want in my life.

The rest of my food choices are 3:1 ratio of veggies to any kind of meat. I use lots of grains, pretty much no canned goods and I stop eating in the early afternoon. No dinner. I know that's a weird one but it works really well for me on several levels.

Healthy choices of any meds are worthwhile figuring out. I still take a large dose of D together with Cal-Mag. I also take an anti inflammatory for my joints since Taxol left my joints pretty funky and besides, I'm getting older!

It's worth the effort to get to know your body post treatment and get ahead of some of the issues. That way you can help your body heal more completely. Along the way I have tried all kinds of suggested remedies and I think it was helpful to check them out. To this day, I'm pretty positive that an open mind on trying new things is key.

Edited by mainsailset - Jan 25 2020 at 5:38pm
dx 7/08 TN 14x6.5x5.5 cm tumor

3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT clear 10/18/10 CT clear
Laurarev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laurarev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2020 at 7:35pm
Thank you so much for your input! These all sound like great pieces of advice. So it sounds like you have been thriving for 10 years. That is fantastic! 

Would you mind sharing the names of the books that showed you how to hardwire your brain to survive and remodel stressful situations? Ive heard so many times that this is vital for our health. I’ve tried meditation, but I’m not very good at it. I know it takes time to get the hang of it. 

Also, could you tell me the name of your calcium magnesium supplement? I can’t seem to find one that has both.  I do take a high dose of vitamin D daily. Do you know if that is supposed to be taken at the same time as the calcium?

I like your idea of eating your large meal earlier in the day and eliminating dinner. I’m usually not hungry later in the day and I find myself eating dinner out of habit, not hunger. There also seems to be so much discussion these days on intermittent fasting. 

Do you ever eat dark chocolate? I thought that was actually healthy. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2020 at 12:03pm
One of my favorite books on dealing with anxiety is by Rick Hanson and it's called Hardwiring Happiness. It has actual lessons on how you can identify scary stuff thoughts and then replace them with calm and good memories. You actually teach your brain so that when an old tried and true rotten fear arrives you can switch it over to a comforting or happy thought before it takes hold and drives you nutty!

I have found several brands of the CalMag, right now my medicine chest has a bottle of Country Life CalMap w/Potassium. I take more Vit D in the winter months.

Haha, well you got me on that one, yes I do still eat chocolate. These days, when I indulge I stop and think for a second why I'm reaching for it and if it's to soften the blow of anxiety I go for a walk instead and promise myself that I'll have some later. 'Later' has become a gift of a word to me. I use it in all kinds of circumstances like, 'I'll cry tomorrow', I'll have chocolate tomorrow and of course, 'I'll clean house later'. But putting distance between cravings and instant gratification seems to work for me...

3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT clear 10/18/10 CT clear
Laurarev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laurarev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2020 at 2:27pm
Thank you for the book suggestion. It sounds like a good one!! I am going to look for it at Barnes and Noble this week:)

The calcium/magnesium supplement with added potassium sounds great too. I’ll check out amazon and see if I can get it there. I’ve heard it’s really important to have the magnesium too, as we tend to lose magnesium as we age. 
Do you also take a probiotic? The chemo threw me into early menopause and I’ve been reading that I should include a probiotic as well. 

I think a little dark chocolate now and then is ok. 😉

Suebhs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suebhs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2020 at 9:26pm
Met with the registered dietician at my oncologist office today and I asked her about all the confusion concerning what patients with TNBC should and shouldn't eat. So, she said based on what experts know now, the best diet to follow is a low-fat (30 to 40 fat grams per day) plant-based diet. Limit animal protein to about 20 percent of daily diet. Majority of diet should be veggies, fruits, legumes, whole grains, nuts, seeds. Eat healthy fats such as olive oil, limit saturated fat and avoid trans fats. Avoid processed foods. Limit added sugar or foods with added sugar. Plus, get regular exercise - recommendation is 30 to 45 minutes of moderate intensity 5 days per week. So basically common sense healthy practices kind of advice. Everything in moderation, eat a variety of healthy foods. She said until research proves otherwise the best proven diet to prevent reccurrence is low-fat and plant-based. Also, she said maintaining a healthy weight is important. 
Suebhs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suebhs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2020 at 9:36pm
And I understand what ladies are saying about sugar! It's my weakness. A little suggestion the dietician gave me to handle those cravings is to always combine carbs with a fat or fiber to help avoid those insulin spikes which drive more sugar cravings. 
Laurarev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laurarev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2020 at 7:41am
Thanks so much for this response. Yes, it all sounds like healthy eating advice, but it’s nice to have it all layed out like this! 
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2020 at 8:22am
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2020 at 10:46pm

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic