FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thyroid cancer after radiation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
joni31 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joni31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thyroid cancer after radiation
    Posted: Dec 06 2019 at 8:21pm
Hi everyone..its been ages since I have been on here. It's been almost 5 years since I completed radiation for stage 1a TNBC. I am almost 3 weeks out from a complete thyroidectomy.  I've been dealing with nodules since February.  I went to the surgeon this week and was told it's thyroid cancer. Does anyone know if there is info out there linking breast radiation to thyroid cancer? I haven't been able to find anything . I had genetic testing and had no predisposition to any kind of cancer. So having it twice now has me stumped.  Thanks for any info. 
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2019 at 11:13am
I'm sorry you are dealing with this.  Yes, there is a link to radiation.  I had extensive radiation to that area with my recurrence and then it triggered my hypothryoidism.  I have Hashimoto's so I knew it would probably present itself.  They have been monitoring a nodule for a couple of years.  I just had an ultrasound and there was no change from the previous year.  It's something people should monitor if they've had radiation to that area.

Radiation exposure and thyroid cancer: a review.

Abstract

The association between radiation exposure and the occurrence of thyroid cancer has been well documented, and the two main risk factors for the development of a thyroid cancer are the radiation dose delivered to the thyroid gland and the age at exposure. The risk increases after exposure to a mean dose of more than 0.05-0.1 Gy (50-100mGy). The risk is more important during childhood and decreases with increased age at exposure, being low in adults. After exposure, the minimum latency period before the appearance of thyroid cancers is 5 to 10 years. Papillary carcinoma (PTC) is the most frequent form of thyroid carcinoma diagnosed after radiation exposure, with a higher prevalence of the solid subtype in young children with a short latency period and of the classical subtype in cases with a longer latency period after exposure. Molecular alterations, including intra-chromosomal rearrangements, are frequently found. Among them, RET/PTC rearrangements are the most frequent. Current research is directed on the mechanism of genetic alterations induced by radiation and on a molecular signature that can identify the origin of thyroid carcinoma after a known or suspected exposure to radiation.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28225863

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Kellyless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2019 at 12:49pm
Is this why my thyroid lit up on my pet scan this time? I have nodules they're watching, my thyroid bloodwook has stayed normal, and so far they say they nodules are "nothing". they've not changed in three years. Hmmmmm
IDC, 2.2 cm, Stage IIb,lumpectomy 1/30/09 ACx4,Tx4 36 rads
6/1/16 Local recurrence same breast, same spot 1.8cm Carb.4x every 3 wks, Taxol 12x once wk. Dbl Mast. PCR!! Reconstruction fail, NED!
joni31 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joni31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2019 at 1:56pm
My thyroid stopped working after my 1st son was born. My meds haven't changed in 28+ years. So when I noticed a lump in my throat in Feb I watched it for a couple of months and it kept growing. By the time I got to have surgery, a couple of weeks ago, I couldn't even get the pain pills down that they gave me right b4 I went back to the surgery room. I had 3 nodules that were surrounding my esophagus ( I think that's what its called). Hard to tell how long they had actually been there, but I no longer have the pain running up to my ear that I've had for over 4 years. Was just surprised by the diagnosis.  I've always said "I'm not doing cancer again "  🤷‍♀️  It'll be ok..I'll get thru it. Was just surprised and wondered if the rads could be a culprit.  We'll see where this goes.?
Thanks for the info Donna...it's nice to be able to go somewhere people understand.
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2019 at 2:13pm
Joni,

I completely understand.  It's bad enough to go through it the first time, but when it rears it's head again, it's just a bit overwhelming.  It's heartening to know that sometimes the treatments that save us, can also harm us over time.  Keep us posted on how you're doing.

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

joni31 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joni31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2019 at 2:18pm
Donna 
Thank you so much!!❤  I see the oncologist Wednesday. Will let you know!
💗 Joni 
joni31 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joni31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 17 2019 at 6:10pm
God is so good!! He has protected me from further harmful treatment! Dr said I don't have to do radioiodine.  I'm SO thankful!! He will keep an eye on my bloodwork as my endocrinologist will do also.  Thank you all so much for prayers!!
Have a Merry Christmas!!🎄🎄
Joni
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 18 2019 at 7:50am
Joni,

Great news for sure!  So happy for you.

Donna

Kellyless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 18 2019 at 3:09pm
YAY!
6/1/16 Local recurrence same breast, same spot 1.8cm Carb.4x every 3 wks, Taxol 12x once wk. Dbl Mast. PCR!! Reconstruction fail, NED!
joni31 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joni31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 18 2019 at 5:11pm
❤❤❤
Monarch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2020 at 9:35am
Kelly,

Look at your newbie giving her mentor advice Big smile.

My meeting with the surgeon confirmed that the thyroid is very susceptible to radiation in that area, particularly if you already have nodules.  What they thought was cancer in my case was not.  Final pathology showed a goiter.  I had nodules for decades, but no known goiter.  He said that the goiter will show metabolic activity, being suspect to cancer.  It is most likely from an iodine deficiency.  I was told to have an ultrasound every year to see if there are changes in size.  If there are, move forward if needed.

Monarch
DX IDC, Metastatic Stage III, 6/6/2019, Nodes pos, 5.6 x 3.3 x 3.5 left breast. Ki-67 90%. AC x 4, T x 12, Partial Mastectomy and Targeted Axillary Dissection, Thyroidectomy,
Kellyless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2020 at 9:44am
#proud Big smile

And happy! Ms Monarch went thru chemo and a large lumpectomy with half her axilla lymph nodes removed thinking she also had thyroid cancer that had to come out! SOoooo glad they were wrong about the thyroid cancer. That's why it's called PRACTICING medicine, they're only practicing Wacko
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic