FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taxol/carboplatin completion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
strongtogether View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strongtogether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taxol/carboplatin completion
    Posted: Oct 19 2019 at 12:56am
So the AC was completely awful, but it's all done. It is now halfway through the Taxol/carboplatin. Initially 12 were scheduled. The neuropathy is not nice, and the MO is indicating that she thinks it may be that we will have to stop around 9.
I'm-as usual- terrified. There are no second chances with this sh*t disease. What do people know about completion rates for T/C ?
Kellyless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2019 at 5:51pm
Are you doing ice baths on hands and feet? BATHS not ice packs? I completed Taxol with high dose carboplatin. It wasn't fun but I finished on schedule with full doses. I've done dose sense taxol x4 and taxol x 12 - ice baths saved me from neuropathy both times. I can give you details of you're not doing them. 
IDC, 2.2 cm, Stage IIb,lumpectomy 1/30/09 ACx4,Tx4 36 rads
6/1/16 Local recurrence same breast, same spot 1.8cm Carb.4x every 3 wks, Taxol 12x once wk. Dbl Mast. PCR!! Reconstruction fail, NED!
Laurarev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laurarev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2019 at 8:44pm
I think I might be getting the neuropathy too. I’m not sure if that’s what it is though because the nurses and my oncologist keep asking if I feel tingling or numbness in my fingers or toes. That’s not really what this feels like and it actually just started last night while I was sleeping (kept me up most of the night) and all day today. My joints in my fingers ache, like arthritis... and my fingertips feel like they would if they were blistering and being smashed by a hammer. Not sure if that makes sense but that’s what it feels like. Also my feet feel weird and kind of itchy and sore. My legs feel a lot of bone pain too. Ugh, I don’t know what’s going on. The AC was just awful, and I’m so glad to be finished with that. I thought I was having a much easier time on the taxol until now. I had my 5th infusion on Monday, so I’m almost halfway through. I haven’t dont the ice baths because I have a condition called Reynauds Syndrome. I lose circulation in my fingers if they get too cold. It’s very painful. Any other suggestions? 
sophie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2019 at 8:54pm
are you doing weekly or bi- weekly? My MO switched me to weekly schedule and give me abraxame instead. 
Laurarev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laurarev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2019 at 5:19pm
I’m doing weekly. What is Abraxame?

Does anyone know if it’s ok to take cbd oil while on taxol? I’ve read that it can help with the neuropathy, but I’m not sure if it changes the efficacy of the taxol. 

Laura 
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strongtogether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2019 at 8:09pm
Not doing ice baths, no. The MO doesn't believe in it.
She has recommended acupuncture and I am booked in to get some.

Edited by strongtogether - Oct 27 2019 at 8:10pm
Kellyless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2019 at 11:53pm
MO doesn't believe in it? The best doctors at the world's greatest cancer center, MD Anderson believe in it. So do the doctors at UT Southwestern Simmons Cancer Center. And the Mayo clinic. It worked for me  Thru 2 regimens - I know it worked because both times I did one treatment without it and I did get neuropathy! Back in the ice and it stopped. A simple, basically free thing you can try and.... He doesn't "believe in it? Maybe because it's a hassle to the nurses and they can't bill you for it? Pfffffft that's absurd. 
IDC, 2.2 cm, Stage IIb,lumpectomy 1/30/09 ACx4,Tx4 36 rads
6/1/16 Local recurrence same breast, same spot 1.8cm Carb.4x every 3 wks, Taxol 12x once wk. Dbl Mast. PCR!! Reconstruction fail, NED!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strongtogether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2019 at 2:07pm
Hi Kelly,
 Can you please share some links about ice baths from me Anderson and the mayo clinic etc? I'm desperate. 
Thank you 
Marymom View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marymom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2019 at 5:33pm
I soaked my hands and feet...and suffered no neuropathy.  I also soaked my feet and hands in cider vinegar...because my nails were darkening and that was helpful as well.  I went to Sloan in nyc.
Laurarev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laurarev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2019 at 6:06pm
a friend of mine who went through the same treatment as me (AC-T) did not ice her hands or feet. Her doctor recommended that she take a vitamin b complex everyday to stave off neuropathy. She did and she said she NEVER had neuropathy. 

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strongtogether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2019 at 6:10pm
 Have you done that too Laurarev?

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strongtogether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2019 at 6:12pm
Hi marymom 
 When you say you soaked your hands and feet, what do you mean by that? Did you soak them in ice water during the infusion?
Marymom View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marymom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2019 at 7:18pm
I submerged them in ice...actually they had these type of plastic gloves with ice in a pocket...and my hands went into the gloves and another pocket held the ice.  My feet went in a small tub of ice and I kept ice chips in my mouth to avoid mouth sores...I believe that was just during AC.  Aside from losing my hair, lashes and brows and darkening of a few nails..AC and Taxol went rather smoothly.  I was just very tired...I would sleep for days and then when I started to come out of it...I was ready for the next round.  I liken it to a boxing match...I would get beat up...heal up and then get back in the ring for another round! I had nothing to complain about and  have no lasting effects from treatment.  So, Sloan actually had a special type disposable icing gloves for the hands.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strongtogether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2019 at 11:43pm
Thank you Marymom 
I was so caught up in PN that I missed blood counts :(
Her reds and white cell count are so low. She had to spend the night in the hospital and she is getting neulasta (GCSF) as well as a unit of blood. 
Her white count was down to 200. I think it has to be between 500 and 1000 before the next treatment. She has been getting the GCSF since the last taxol/carboplatin on Thursday so it should be starting to go up now.
Is there a chance of them going up too high?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic