FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Telling it like it is

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Plume View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plume Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Telling it like it is
    Posted: Sep 26 2019 at 8:37am
Here is one woman's account:  it is frank, no glossing over the more unpleasant aspects of our cancer and treatment, it's even brutal in parts and definitely NOT for everybody.
https://www.theguardian.com/news/2019/sep/26/life-as-a-cancer-patient Hope the link is live as I haven't posted a link before so maybe I haven't done it correctly.

I realise we are all different and my situation is very like that of the writer's.  I would not know how to tell children or elderly parents.  It was difficult enough telling my husband and siblings.

We all cope with our diagnosis in different ways.  I know of some who can only manage if they convince themselves that this is no big deal, that it is all a nightmare which will be over and done with one day.

I belong to the other school of thought;  I want to face this thing in all its awefulness.  In fact I got, and still get, angry at people telling me I would be "cured", that I only have to be "positive"!  I have mellowed after 2 years of NED, I can just smile, not contradict and walk away but, when I was in the midst of treatment, I'd answer back sharply "no, it's NOT about being positive; the cancer doesn't know the difference between negative and positive, it carries on merrily multiplying itself!"  I didn't really care if I upset people or drive them away.  THEY are upset?  They should try being ME!!!

Please don't read it if it's not to your way of thinking.  The writer is American so I put this on here as I am sure many on the forum would find lots in common with what is said.

If you have comments of your own, please do feel free.  Time to chat....yes, sometimes it really is good to talk (smile emoticon)
strongtogether View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strongtogether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2019 at 9:22am
I want to punch triple negative breast cancer in the face. 
I don't believe in the death penalty, and I dont agree with torture under any circumstances. 
But I want to kill TNBC. I want to pull bits of TNBC's face off his skull with pliers. I want to watch him scream without a face. I want to make him not even human. Because Triple negative cancer is not human. Shouldnt be human. Shouldnt be anything at all. Shouldnt exist. 

I want to punch triple negative cancer in the face.

Plume View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plume Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2019 at 11:08am
Yes, strongtogether, I understand.  I too am angry but I am not sure at what. But sure as eggs is eggs, tnbc is evil.

Look, can I hold him down whilst you do the punching? 
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strongtogether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2019 at 9:13pm
Be my guest
sdlw211 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sdlw211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2019 at 11:58pm
I named this cancer Oscar...a name I absolutely hate!

Kellyless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2019 at 11:13pm
"Thoughts and prayers" cure cancer y'all. And CBD oil. And eating vegan. And juicing. And fasting? And yoga. or was it meditation? 

So many people told me, "I don't know how you do it! I don't think I could go thru all that!". I want to blurt, "so you'd just DIE instead? It's a really crappy way to die, worse than the treatment actually, so if you just want to avoid the unpleasantness of cancer in general you'd need to find an appropriately simple suicide route I guess..". Evil Smile
IDC, 2.2 cm, Stage IIb,lumpectomy 1/30/09 ACx4,Tx4 36 rads
6/1/16 Local recurrence same breast, same spot 1.8cm Carb.4x every 3 wks, Taxol 12x once wk. Dbl Mast. PCR!! Reconstruction fail, NED!
GeriC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeriC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2019 at 2:47pm
TNBC sucks!
Had my lumpectomy last week and got results of pathology on Wed, good margins all around, next step port and chemo for the next 5months or so followed by radiation. I know, nothing new to TNBC carriers. At first I put TNBC victims - but we are NOT victims - we are strong willed, kick it in the butt doers, who do what has to be done - period!

So for those in the know - - what's the process for the port - what's it like to have one -  what does it look/feel like - what are the draw backs - what should I know before hand? I meet with Oncologist Monday to get everything started - - so knowing a bit about a thing always makes me feel a little better. Thanks!

Also - my family and friends thinking I've already beet the cancer. Clean margins after lumpectomy means the cancer is gone - right? - no wrong - this cancer requires chemo and radiation to have a fighting chance of survival. No matter how many times I try to explain "not my type of cancer" people don't get it.  Is there anywhere I can send people to read an honest description of TNBC, treatment and cure rate and recurrence. People say I'm being negative when I tell them, and that's farthest from the truth.

Thanks!
Plume View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Plume Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2019 at 2:19pm
GeriC, how I identify with EVERYTHING that you have said but, more of that later.

First thing is to tell you about the port.   It's like a little plastic box which they embed in your chest (usually) on the opposite side of your cancer.  It sits below the clavicle (collar bone) and most people don't even know it's there after a while.  The box (sorry to keep calling it a box but I live in France and the doctor called it a boitier!) has 2 tubes, one for the medication to go in and one to conduct the medication to one of your larger jugular veins for distribution throughout your body.....phew, hope you can understand what I'm saying...lol

It's only fair to tell you that the procedure I underwent was NOT normal or usual.  But, in the usual run of things, it only takes a quarter hour or so to install and it is usually done under local anaesthetic.

The "box" enables the chemo stuff to be dripped into you and it avoids damaging the veins in your arms because those are not strong enough to take the chemo.  It also avoids having to find a jugular vein to put in the chemo at each dose.  The nurses use a special needle to enter the box and so all the drugs can be given to you intravenously.  Also blood samples, etc can also be taken out of the port.

I didn't realise until my last dose that you could ask for special patches to put over the port before each chemo session.  The patches numb the skin and you really should not feel any pain (as I did and that made me dread each session even more!)

OK then to your frustration at people who simply do not understand tnbc.  I too got impatient and even angry when people made slick remarks like, oh my friend had breast cancer 3 months ago and she is all right now.  Or indeed, like you have said, telling me not to be negative.  I used to get so mad that I wouldn't even bother to say but I am NOT negative.  I said, so I'm negative, so what, I've EARNED the right to be as negative as I want; is that OK with you?     gggrrrrgghhhhh.....

All the best, take care of yourself and continue to think you are special....
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote strongtogether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2019 at 4:01pm

Getting the port put in is often painful, but even then it's the right choice.
Good luck with it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic