FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newly Diagnosed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Penny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Penny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newly Diagnosed
    Posted: Oct 07 2019 at 2:38pm
Hi There,

Yes, it continues to take the same course (at least it did for me) however the fatigue after each infusion seemed to get worse each time.  Mouth sores were remedied for me with Magic solution that your doctor can order and has to be prepared at a special pharmacy.  I only needed one RX.  Soon you will be through the TC chemo regiment and on to RADS which (for me) was SO much easier than chemo.  Then it's off to healing and feeling grateful that the treatment is behind you.  ~ Penny  

DX IDC, TNBC 12/7/16 (age 55), Stage 1a Grade 2, .6cm, 0/1 nodes, Lumpectomy & node dissection 12/22/16, BRCA1&2 negative 1/23/17 Chemo TC. Chemo completed 3/28/17. 30 RADs completed 6/6/17.

Windhover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Windhover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 06 2019 at 8:20pm
Another newbie, completed my first TC chemo last Wednesday.  First day after was surprisingly OK - fatigue, chills, sweats and a headache but nothing worse. Friday woke up with a very sore throat, bad mouth sores, coated tongue; used the recommended Biotene and salt washes, and felt better.  Last night was a misery - conflicting GI issues, severe joint pain, headache, nausea, complete insomnia. Today just heavy fatigue and sore throat again. Does it continue like this throughout the course - up and down? I know I am very lucky that it hasn't so far been worse, but curious if this is sort of roller coaster is something others have experienced. 
nancygayle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nancygayle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2019 at 6:24pm
My diagnosis was Stage 3 TNBC invasive ductal carcinoma in the right breast at age 73, along with PALB2 gene mutation.  I had 8 rounds of chemo, 2 weeks apart, before surgery in order to shrink the tumor.  It went from 6mm to being undetectable.  Pathology after double mastectomy showed no active cancer cells.  That was followed by 30 radiation treatments, which ended and the end of February, 2019.  I was told that chemo before surgery was best in my case and that proved to be true.

I would love to communicate with anyone else who also had TNBC with a PALB2 mutation after menopause -- or at any time for that matter.  How are you by now?  
sophie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2019 at 3:14pm
News > Medscape Medical News > Conference News > ESMO 2019

Immunotherapy Active in Early Stage Triple Negative Breast Cancer

Has anyone read through this document on the benefit of taking keytrude after chemo and surgery is over?

The latest review which also shows in TnBC main page saying great benefit so shall we take a shot as preventive? Anyone is doing that?
JudyLynne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudyLynne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2019 at 2:49pm
I’ve been told to rinse with Equal parts of mylanta and liquid benedryl 3 times a day
Laurarev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laurarev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2019 at 7:49am
Nobody told me about the mouth rinse with salt and baking soda! Thanks for sharing, I will have to try it!
A lovely gentleman sitting in the chair next to me on Monday suggested I try manuka honey ( with at least 20 something or other 🤷🏻‍♀️) He said it has amazing antibacterial properties and swears by it! He’s been getting chemo for 2 + years! 
JudyLynne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudyLynne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2019 at 10:45pm
Great info to know!
Monarch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2019 at 10:21pm
The mouth pieces do not work well with Oral Mucositis.  Ask you doctor for a RX of magic mouthwash.  They have to compound it.  It has lidocaine and gives you relief. There is also another mouthwash they can give you also.  If you need it, I will go check mine out.  I cannot remember what it is.  It's a little thing called chemo brain, and it will hit you probably 8-10 weeks in.  Short-term memory just goes, "Poof.  It's gone!"

They also insisted that I keep a batch of the following made up and rinse four times a day.  This helped me the most.  I just now developed the oral mucositis.  If you don't have to get it, don't!  It is excruciating pain.  

Mix 8 oz of water
1 tsp salt  (I add more salt probably double)
1 tbls of baking soda (heaping)

Shake and use it several times a day.  It calms the burn after brushing your teeth.  It comes in handy.

Monarch

Edited by Monarch - Oct 01 2019 at 10:28pm
DX IDC, Metastatic Stage III, 6/6/2019, Nodes pos, 5.6 x 3.3 x 3.5 left breast. Ki-67 90%. AC x 4, T x 12, Partial Mastectomy and Targeted Axillary Dissection, Thyroidectomy,
Monarch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2019 at 10:13pm
Welcome JudyLynne and Jeannie to the group.  

I am a newbie as well.  This forum is a fantastic resource of those that have done it, and lived to get the t-shirt.  The older survivors can give you tips and tricks and Donna123 is your best resource for research information. 

I am only 14 weeks into my neoadjuvant chemo therapy (before the surgery).  My breast surgeon explained to me, that in most cases of TNBC (today), they attempt to reduce the size of the tumors prior to surgery, because our TNBC is so aggressive and the outcomes are better for the patient.  As always, I am sure there are doctors that differ in approach.  The protocol I am most familiar with is A/C-T.  It is very important to remember that each person reacts differently.  Some can fly through with few symptoms, while others, seem to check every box on the "rare symptom" list.

Keep in mind, this chemical journey is CUMMULATIVE!  Each chemo adds to those before it and, brings your body down a bit further.  Listen to your bodies!  You know best.

Monarch

Edited by Monarch - Oct 01 2019 at 10:16pm
DX IDC, Metastatic Stage III, 6/6/2019, Nodes pos, 5.6 x 3.3 x 3.5 left breast. Ki-67 90%. AC x 4, T x 12, Partial Mastectomy and Targeted Axillary Dissection, Thyroidectomy,
Plume View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plume Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 30 2019 at 1:36pm
Make sure you know where the loo is and how to temporarily disconnect the drip for you to go!!

I was put with an "old hand" the first time and she showed me what to do and also how to alert the nurses' station when the pack runs out and a new one is needed.
JudyLynne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudyLynne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2019 at 10:37pm
Thanks yall—good ideas and yes I plan to use a cold cap-saw that mentioned on this forum and ordered one.  I saw a thing to put in your mouth to reduce mouth/teeth issues. Do those work?  The thing I saw looks so big I thought I’d gag so I’m planning to try a small frozen baby teething ring to see if it helps. 
Laurarev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laurarev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2019 at 8:50am
I would definitely bring someone with you if you can. You will most likely be there a long time. That being said, even though I always feel like I’m there FOREVER, I never seem to have any desire to do any of the “things” I’ve brought with me to do... coloring, word search, read a book, etc.  At this point (I’ve now had 5 treatments) I could possibly listen to an audio book, but mostly I just talk with whoever has accompanied me, or even to my fellow fighters sitting in the chairs next to me. Everyone had a story, and they usually want to share it... and it helps connecting with other people. At least that’s been my experience. Your infusion center will most likely have a place to get ice and water, so be sure to bring your own water bottle. Some people are really bothered by the metallic taste, so if you have a plastic or glass water bottle that would be better. Also, your infusion will probably give out snacks, but you may want to bring some of your own. I was told that sucking on the candy lemon heads during infusion helps with your taste buds. A “chemo friend” once offered me a package of her Belvita toasted coconut crackers (she’s been getting chemo for 2 years and knows some tricks). Ever since she gave me those crackers it seems to be one of my favorite treats to eat during chemo. I also like to pack blueberries, a banana, and a plain turkey sandwich. The friend who gave me the crackers also suggested that if you fill a water bottle up with water and put about 3 drops of pure organic peppermint oil in there it helps with mouth sores. So, just a couple of my suggestions for what it’s worth. Good luck! Let us know how you do!! 💕
strongtogether View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strongtogether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2019 at 2:04am
 Will you be using a cold cap? If so I'd suggest something warm. A support person who can spend some of the time with you, especially to take instructions from the nurses regarding how to handle your symptoms over the next week. Make sure you have a clear idea of what to do if things are getting hard with side effects!
JudyLynne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudyLynne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2019 at 6:05pm
I am supposed to start my first chemo treatment on Tuesday. Other than things to pass the time, what are some helpful items I should take with me?

Edited by JudyLynne - Sep 28 2019 at 6:05pm
JudyLynne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudyLynne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2019 at 8:34pm
Thanks for the insights!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strongtogether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2019 at 8:19am
A lot of people do. I just wanted the thing out asap, and the thing with lymph nodes is that they dont really know unless they get them out and biopsy them. 
I think to be honest that both have advantages, but from an outcome perspective that both options are equally good. 
JudyLynne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudyLynne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2019 at 9:47pm
Hi y’all. Sad to need to find this forum too! I’m 55 and was diagnosed with TNBC-ductal, Stage 2/Grade 3 on 9/11/19; first oncology visit today; port going in Thursday (9/27) and first chemo (ACT) on 10/1; seeing breast surgeon on 9/30—like Jeanne I am nervous about how chemo will make me feel. Also, current plan is to do chemo every 2 weeks for 4 rounds and then weekly for another 12 before surgery. That completely caught me off guard as my first opinion surgeon (general surgeon) already had me thinking surgery first (mastectomy and maybe double depending on genetics). Seeing a breast surgeon oncologist for second opinion. Anyone else have all this chemo on the front end?

Edited by JudyLynne - Sep 24 2019 at 9:48pm
Jeannie69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeannie69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2019 at 12:59am
That would be great. The nausea is not that bad and the meds they gave are working. Sooo this I can cope with. 
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strongtogether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2019 at 5:27pm
It might. I've heard people talk about a 2 week lag, and you have to keep an eye on things like constipation. 6ou might be lucky and not have bad effects!
Jeannie69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeannie69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 21 2019 at 1:43pm
I'm just a little confused I guess. I do have a little nausea but I take the med they gave me and I'm fine. But I've only had one cycle, will my reaction change with more cycles. They're also adding another med next cycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic