FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Proton Therapy has Less Side Effects

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Proton Therapy has Less Side Effects
    Posted: May 30 2019 at 9:36pm
Proton therapy has fewer side effects than X-ray radiation

New research finds that while cure rates for X-ray therapy and proton therapy are the same in the treatment of cancer, the risk of severe side effects is much lower with proton therapy.

New research suggests that proton therapy, also known as proton beam therapy, may have fewer and less severe side effects than X-ray radiation.

Dr. Brian C. Baumann, a radiation oncologist at the Washington University School of Medicine, in St. Louis, MO, is the lead author of the new study. Dr. Baumann and colleagues will present their findings at the American Society of Clinical Oncology's annual meeting, which will take place in Chicago, IL.

. . . .

Specifically, only 45 — or 11.5% — of the 391 people who received proton therapy had a severe side effect within 90 days of starting the treatment.

By comparison, 301 of the 1,092 people who received X-ray therapy — or 27.6% — had a severe side effect within the same timeframe.

Furthermore, the study did not find a statistically relevant difference in the survival rates, meaning that proton therapy was just as effective a treatment as X-ray radiation.

To read the entire article:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/325306.php

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Monarch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2019 at 1:18pm
Donna,

My mother died from Lung Cancer and the radiation was the worst for her.  So, I don't really want to enter that realm if I don't have to.  My tumor is in the left breast and axillary node.  Behind is the heart, so I am concerned.

I immediately told my surgeon of my concern about conventional radiation therapy.  I asked her about Proton Therapy and she quickly refuted that there is no scientific basis that it even works.  (I wonder if they had a proton machine if that answer would change since the treatment costs 2-3X's that of traditional.  

Has anyone opted for proton therapy in this forum?  If so, what was the outcome or their thoughts?

Monarch
Kellyless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2019 at 8:17pm
The radiation they usually do for us is far easier and safer than what they usually do for late stage lung cancer. Mine was on the left, other than mild fatigue and a sunburn effect on my skin I had no complications. I wouldnt be surprised if they wanted to use it on your axilla. I did. I no longer have to shave that armpit, but my heart and lungs are fine. 
IDC, 2.2 cm, Stage IIb,lumpectomy 1/30/09 ACx4,Tx4 36 rads
6/1/16 Local recurrence same breast, same spot 1.8cm Carb.4x every 3 wks, Taxol 12x once wk. Dbl Mast. PCR!! Reconstruction fail, NED!
Monarch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2019 at 8:06am
Kelly,

What does NED stand for in the bottom of your regiment?  Sorry, trying to learn.

Monarch
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2019 at 8:16am
Monarch,

NED = no evidence of disease.  It's the sweetest words many of us will ever hear.

Someone created this thread with a list a while back with common abbreviations:

Regarding Proton Therapy, if you can get it and your insurance company will pay for it, it's definitely something to consider.  When I had radiation therapy 8 years ago after my recurrence and after implants, they offered me a newer technology at the time (CT Guided IMRT radiation).  The cancer center I went to had 2 of these machines and the only one in our city.  I'm glad I was able to have this option vs traditional radiation because of where the recurrence was located, internal mammary nodes. 

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Monarch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2019 at 2:06pm
Donna,

I just found that link after I sent you the post.  I am not sure proton will be an option.  I was in touch with a facility here in North Texas.  They would have to fight my insurance, so I am not really sure.  
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2019 at 7:47pm
I know someone who had lung cancer and their insurance company denied Proton Therapy too.  When a treatment costs more, insurance companies are likely to deny coverage even when it's recommended by a doctor.

Kellyless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2019 at 10:09pm
Monarch, does your insurance allow you to go to UT Southwestern? Dr. Ann Spangler,  Radiation Oncologist is the bomb. My husband actually said during a  chemo treatment this go round, " so you won't be doing radiation this time? I'd love to see Dr. Spangler again.... " We both think she's the smartest doctor we've ever met. And I've seen a lot of doctors! And a sweetheart, a rare combo in a brilliant dr. https://utswmed.org/doctors/ann-spangler/
Here's a quote from a Q&A on her bio page:
"We’re also concerned about the dose to their heart, particularly for patients who have a left-sided breast cancer. We have the ability to treat them with a procedure called the breath-hold treatment, which is just what it sounds like – we treat them while they hold their breath. In some cases, that simple act effectively moves the chest wall away from the heart and decreases the dosage to the heart. Not everybody requires this, but we assess it on all left-sided breast cancer patients."

I thought everyone did the breath holding thing during radiation? I guess not. 

IDC, 2.2 cm, Stage IIb,lumpectomy 1/30/09 ACx4,Tx4 36 rads
6/1/16 Local recurrence same breast, same spot 1.8cm Carb.4x every 3 wks, Taxol 12x once wk. Dbl Mast. PCR!! Reconstruction fail, NED!
mary2025 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mary2025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2020 at 6:04pm
Hi Donna, thank you so much for the information! I am to discuss the options with my current radiation oncologist next week, and also getting a second opinion from Sloan which offers Proton therapy.  Will decide once find out more.  
dx 10-29-19 | TNBC stage IA grade 3 | 0.4cm 0/1 nodes | BRCA- | lumpectomy clear margins 11-14-19 | ACx4 started 12-18-2019, finished 1-31-2020 I Taxol x12 started 2-14-2020 finished 5-1-2020
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic