FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Intense Chemo May Reduce BC Recurrence

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kellyless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Intense Chemo May Reduce BC Recurrence
    Posted: Mar 07 2019 at 3:04pm
Isn't this what we typically already do? Dense dose A.C. Every 2, followed by T either dense dose  every 2 or weekly 12? This last time with T.plus carb i was told I was doing highest dose allowed? Any higher would've freaking killed me. And it worked so {{shrug}} And they confirmed that the first time I'd done my lifetime allowable of Adriamycin, unless I'm stage 4 so... Couldn't higher that dosage.
IDC, 2.2 cm, Stage IIb,lumpectomy 1/30/09 ACx4,Tx4 36 rads
6/1/16 Local recurrence same breast, same spot 1.8cm Carb.4x every 3 wks, Taxol 12x once wk. Dbl Mast. PCR!! Reconstruction fail, NED!
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2019 at 8:07am
Increasing Dose Intensity of Chemotherapy By More Frequent Administration or Sequential Scheduling

Reducing the interval between chemotherapy treatment cycles or administering chemotherapy medications sequentially at higher doses, rather than simultaneously at lower doses, increases treatment efficacy and decreases the risk of breast cancer recurrence and death, a study suggests.

The study, “Increasing the dose intensity of chemotherapy by more frequent administration or sequential scheduling: a patient-level meta-analysis of 37 298 women with early breast cancer in 26 randomised trials,” was published in The Lancet.

Previous studies have shown that conventional chemotherapy medications, such as anthracyclines (e.g., doxorubicin) and taxanes (e.g., paclitaxel and docetaxel), reduce breast cancer mortality by one-third in women at the earlier stages of disease. However, “the optimal dosage and timing of these two drugs is still unclear,” according to the study.

Additionally, previous modeling studies proposed that increasing chemotherapy dose intensity might enhance the elimination of cancer cells, reduce the odds of cancer recurrence, and maximize the chances of a cure.

In theory, there are two different ways to boost chemotherapy dose intensity: The first is to shorten the interval between treatment sessions; and the second is to administer chemotherapies one at a time (sequential chemotherapy) at higher doses, instead of all at the same time at lower doses (standard concurrent chemotherapy).

[To clarify the relative benefits and risks of dose-intense and standard-schedule chemotherapy in early breast cancer, we did an individual patient-level meta-analysis of trials comparing 2-weekly versus standard 3-weekly schedules, and of trials comparing sequential versus concurrent administration of anthracycline and taxane chemotherapy.]

To read the entire study:
https://breastcancer-news.com/2019/02/25/high-chemotherapy-dose-reduces-breast-cancer-recurrence-death

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(18)33137-4/fulltext

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic