FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New to TNBCF

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
monimay01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monimay01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to TNBCF
    Posted: Jan 31 2019 at 2:37pm
Hello everyone, 
I was recently diagnosed with stage 1, grade 3, triple negative breast cancer. I am waiting on my genetic testing results, but in the mean time, my surgery is scheduled for the end of Feb, then I'll have chemo and possibly radiation. I am 34 years old with an 8 month old daughter, my first. I am terrified! But remaining strong and positive!! 
Currently, I am struggling with the lumpectomy vs mastectomy decision. I am taking in all of the facts, weighing pros and cons, and I still do not know how you make the decision. If the genetics come back positive, then it will be a double for me, but I until I know those results, I need to think about this surgery. Any advice or previous experience stories would be extremely appreciated. 
I do have a question about nutrition. I am waiting for my appointment with the nutritionist, but until I get in to see her, I want to know what I should and should NOT be consuming. I have heard to cut out sugar, which I am doing now. My sister bought me a juicer and I am starting to juice (first batch was disgusting!, but I have some good recipes now that I will try). Do any of you have good resources for nutrition guidelines for TNBC patients? What have been your experiences with changing your diets/lifestyles? 
I am very glad that I found this foundation. When I tell people I have breast cancer and then triple negative breast cancer, I don't think they understand my fears and anxiety. 
I am determined to beat this and become a stronger person. 
Thanks for reading :) 
Monica
archanapc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote archanapc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2019 at 12:31am
Hi Monica,

I am so sorry about your recent diagnosis. I am 33 years old and I was diagnosed with stage II TNBC in August 2018 and am currently finishing my ACT chemo regimen (4AC, 12Taxol). I chose to take lumpectomy with sentinel node biopsy, chemo and then radiation route as my genetic testing result came back negative for BRCA1/BRCA2 plus 6 other gene mutations. 
My surgeon explained to me that as my genetic test result was negative, lumpectomy with radiation is equivalent to a mastectomy with regards to a long term cure. He stated the pros of lumpectomy with sentinel node biopsy to be: smaller surgery (one day outpatient surgery) and quicker recovery time (1-2 weeks), less possibility of developing lymphedema, the cons of lumpectomy to be: cannot avoid radiation, and if after the first surgery they cannot get clear margins he would have to go back again for a second surgery. 
He stated the pros of mastectomy with axillary lymph node dissection as: peace of mind, no radiation required and the cons as: bigger surgery and longer recovery time (6-8 weeks), high risk of developing lymphedema, need for future plastic surgeries for reconstruction.
Hopefully all this information helps you too. In the end, it is your call, do what feels right to you and have faith that everything will be OK Heart  
JenAus01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JenAus01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2019 at 5:03am
This is a great website regarding food.

monimay01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monimay01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2019 at 10:32am
Thank you very much for your response and I'm glad to hear you are finishing up treatment. I am still waiting on my genetics results to come back and then I will make the final surgery decision. All of the waiting is almost unbearable. I'm just so ready to get the surgery and start treatment. I know it's in my head, but it's like I can feel this dang thing every minute of the day in my boob and I want it out and gone! 
monimay01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monimay01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2019 at 10:33am
Thank you! That is really a great site. I used it when I went grocery shopping last night. 
Everyone is saying to buy only Organic now, but aren't there some things that being organic wont make a difference? Any websites or resources to break down what we should be eating organic and what doesn't matter?
archanapc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote archanapc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2019 at 12:39pm
I know, the initial waiting time for the treatment to start is the hardest. Plus until they do a complete biopsy on the entire tumor and the nodes you are walking on egg shells to know the extent of the damage. Just keep yourself busy by doing the things you love Smile.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic