FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oncologist Recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Leahstuffle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leahstuffle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oncologist Recommendations
    Posted: Oct 27 2018 at 9:15am
You should be able to do what serves you and your body the best!
lisab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2018 at 7:29pm
Thank you both very much.  I've read only great things about Dr. Mayer, so I'm going to contact her office and see if she will accept me as a new patient.  

I had forgotten to mention that I did find a doctor here in Knoxville, but when she found out I was 10 years out from chemo treatment, she said she would not accept me as a patient.  She said any patient she has who has been "cancer free" for five years or more is dropped.  She considers them cured.  My issue revolves around the fact that when my cancer metastasized to my chest wall, surgery was not an option because of the location of the tumor being so near to my heart.  It's something I just want to follow-up on.  I would hate to find out the cancer has metastasized to another area of my body, which is what happened to me the last time.  Maybe I am crazy for thinking an oncologist would see me for follow-up every year, but recently I read in a report from the American Cancer Society that people who have had cancer mets should see their oncologist every year for the remainder of their lives.  
Diagnosed June 2004. Lumpectomy and radiation. BRCA2+. PBM w/DIEP Recon March 2005. Mets in chest wall June 2007. Chemo (Gemzar and Carboplatin) with radiation completed January 2008 - 5+ years ago.
Leahstuffle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leahstuffle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2018 at 11:57am
I live in Nashville, and although I'm not being treated by Dr. Mayer, she is TOP NOTCH and very highly regarded! Also, coming to the Vanderbilt 100 Oaks location means not having to drive all the way into and out of Nashville's midtown area each time. Could not recommend more!
cheeks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheeks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2018 at 10:07am
Hello Lisa ,

I have been seeing Ingrid Mayer and her Nurse Practioner, Katherine Sibler, at Vanderbilt for followup appointments since 2012. We had moved from where I was originally treated for my first TN diagnosis. As Kelly said we travel from North Carolina to see her.

Her contact information is
Vanderbilt Health
One Hundred Oaks
719 Thompson Lane, Suite 25000
Nashville, TN 37204
615-322-2064
615-322-3970 (fax)

Let me know if you would like any other information.

Blair

Edited by cheeks - Oct 26 2018 at 10:09am
Lump found 11/08
DX: 2/09 @52 TNBC
L. Mast. 3/26/09, SN-, BRCA-,
4.5 cm (post surgical)T2NOMO
Chemo: 4/09-10/09 Taxol x 12,
A/C x 4, No rad.No recon. NED 1/17. New Primary right breast TN, 2/2018.
lisab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2018 at 10:43pm
I recently moved from the Dallas Texas area to the Knoxville, Tennessee area.  I've been looking for an oncologist who specializes in TNBC, with no luck.  I have not researched Vanderbilt oncologists in Nashville yet, but that would be an option, as Nashville is only 2-1/2 hours from Knoxville.  I would appreciate any recommendations for oncologists who specialize in TNBC.  Thank you.

Lisa
Diagnosed June 2004. Lumpectomy and radiation. BRCA2+. PBM w/DIEP Recon March 2005. Mets in chest wall June 2007. Chemo (Gemzar and Carboplatin) with radiation completed January 2008 - 5+ years ago.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic