FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another Warrior joining the Ranks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Pink Sue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pink Sue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another Warrior joining the Ranks
    Posted: May 16 2016 at 9:22am
Thanks, Donna. I appreciate you sharing the article. I have an appointment with my radiation oncologist scheduled for this Friday. I suspect she's going to recommend radiation. But I'm not sure what's left to radiate. They removed all my breast tissue and 9 nodes last week and it all tested negative for cancer. The remaining lymph nodes would most like test negative too. So, what would the radiation achieve? I will obviously ask this same question of the rad onc -- but want to hear all perspectives prior.

Susan
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2016 at 8:55am
Hi Susan and welcome.  This is a club no one wants to join, but you'll find an amazing support system here of women who get what you are going through.  

You are asking some very good questions.  Here's a link discussing radiation therapy and possible benefits.  Have you met with the radiation oncologist yet?  You might want to consider getting a second opinion.  When I had my recurrence, I actually got 3 opinions regarding my radiation treatment.  Wishing you the best and congrats on achieving a PcR.

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Pink Sue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pink Sue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2016 at 8:25am
I am joining you a bit late in my treatment. I have been fighting for about 5 months. Early on in my diagnosis, I was trying to stay away from the internet for fear that the negative stats would dilute my hope.

My story is like many of yours. I am 48 yrs old with three kids (ages 9,14 and 17).   Back in April 2015, I went for my annual 3D mammogram and it was clean. Fast forward 6 months to October 2015 and I feel a lump. After a set of imaging tests, they find a 9.5 cm tumor in my right breast and 3 lymph nodes involved. The biopsy and original pathology analysis reported that I had triple-negative moderately differentiated invasive carcinoma.

My treatment--
1. Neoadjuvant Chemo -- 16 treatments over 21 weeks (4 DD A/C, 12 DD Taxol).
2. Surgery -- BMX and 9 lymph nodes removed with insertion of expanders on May 4, 2016. Result=PcR.
3. Radiation -- tbd.

My approach from the beginning has been to take this day-by-day. So, today I'd like to hear if there is anyone who had Neoadjuvant chemo,followed by a double mastectomy and removal of the majority of lymph nodes--to include a pathological complete response. Did you go on to have radiation? If so, why?

Thanks in advance for sharing.   You are an impressive group of warriors and I respect your opinions.

Susan

Dx: Nov. 13, 2015, TNBC, right breast (9.5 cm tumor) & 1 lymph node, BRCA -; Chemo: Dec 3, 2015 - Mar 4, 2016; 4 DD A/C, 12 DD Taxol; BMX with PcR on May 4, 2016; Staging: Stage 3B, Grade 3; Radiation: TBD
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic