FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do your best not to skip appts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mainsailset View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do your best not to skip appts
    Posted: Feb 18 2016 at 2:55pm
A new study underscores the importance of not skipping any radiation appointments
https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_157261.html

From the article
MONDAY, Feb. 15, 2016 (HealthDay News) -- Cancer patients who miss two or more radiation treatment sessions are at increased risk for a return of their cancer, a new study finds.

The study included more than 1,200 patients who had radiation therapy for head and neck, breast, lung, cervical, uterine or rectal cancer between 2007 and 2012. Of those patients, 22 percent missed two or more scheduled radiation treatment appointments.

While all patients eventually completed their radiation therapy regimens, they were prolonged an average of one week for those who missed two or more treatment sessions.

Rates of cancer recurrence were 16 percent for patients who missed two or more radiation sessions and 7 percent for those who did not, according to the study published online recently in the International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics.

"This study shows that the health of our patients can improve only when a course of treatment is completed in the prescribed period of time," researcher Dr. Madhur Garg said in a news release from the Montefiore Einstein Center for Cancer Care. Gard is clinical director of its department of radiation oncology and a professor of clinical radiation oncology at Albert Einstein College of Medicine's Albert Einstein Cancer Center in New York City.

"These findings should serve as a wake-up call to physicians, patients and their caregivers about the

Edited by mainsailset - Feb 18 2016 at 2:57pm
dx 7/08 TN 14x6.5x5.5 cm tumor

3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT clear 10/18/10 CT clear
Tulips View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tulips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2016 at 3:50pm
This is so interesting!  I had my radiation treatments start prior to the holidays, so they were closed on Christmas Day and New Year's Day.  So I didn't *miss* any scheduled appointments, but wouldn't these 2 closures be similar to me skipping 2 appointments?  Plus, I always wonder how they come up with the ideal dosing…..I mean, how convenient that they decided 5 times a week (weekdays) works well….perhaps radiation should really be 7 days per week to maximize effectiveness?  I guess I just have to cross my fingers that my treatment was "good enough"!!  

Thanks for posting the article, Mainsailset!

Tulips
Dx April 2015 IDC TN 2.2 cm, Grade 3, Chemo started May 2015: Taxol/Carbo then AC, Lx with SNB Nov 2015, 33 Rad Dec 2015-Feb 2016. 6 months Capecitabine starting March 2016

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2016 at 4:54pm
Tulips, there are several different choices I've seen for radiation schedules, and like you I had a day cancelled for a 'holiday'. Let's hope for the best for both of us. If it makes you feel any better my last radiation treatment was in Sept '09 and so far so good! Wishing you all the best, Mainy.

3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT clear 10/18/10 CT clear
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 19 2016 at 1:24am
This is good info to have when I start radiation after my surgery. I have stage 3 tnbc with at least 2 lymph nodes involved. They didnt biopsy all the "suspicious" nodes they saw on ultrasound. Later they found DCIS in the other breast. There was some speculation that dcis would have become TNBC also. It didnt matter for my treatment. I will have double mastectomy on march 8 followed by Radiation. I only have to more chemos this month left. I will be very careful not to miss a radiation therapy applintment.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 19 2016 at 9:16am
Hi, seems like a close scheduling your team has you under. I was told that there needs to be an optimum of 6 weeks between final chemo and surgery. The immune system needs time to recuperate before surgery. Best of luck to you, Mainy

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic