FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lupus / Breast Cancer Connection?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JenniferBentley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JenniferBentley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lupus / Breast Cancer Connection?
    Posted: Jun 10 2014 at 8:50pm
Just curious, has anyone here been diagnosed with Lupus too? I was diagnosed with lupus a year before my TNBC, curious if there is a connection. I heard that some autoimmune diseases can increase the risk of cancer. Has anyone experienced this or know others that have both?
Stage 1,grade 3, brca-, no nodes,reconstruction,Tumor removal 12/12, 4 rounds of chemo.
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2014 at 9:56pm
Jennifer,

There have been several members with lupus or other autoimmune diseases.  Hopefully they'll be along shortly to share their experience.  If you type in "Lupus" in the search field of this link, it will show you the members that have posted on this subject.

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JenniferBentley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2014 at 10:21pm
Thanks Donna!
Stage 1,grade 3, brca-, no nodes,reconstruction,Tumor removal 12/12, 4 rounds of chemo.
hydeskate View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydeskate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 14 2014 at 4:28am
I was dx with an autoimmune disorder Sjogren's shortly after I was given a chemo holiday in Sept 2009.  They thought it was Lupus or both Lupus & Sjogren's due to some flushing of my face, but test showed it was Primary Sjogren's.  Looking back at my medical history it looks like I have had Sjogren's my whole life, it really started flaring up bad in college attacking my lungs first then moving on to dry mouth and eyes. 

My doctor's believe there is some connection with the autoimmune disorder but they think right now it is actually keeping the cancer at bay, since I have been off chemo so long.   Other doctors are starting to pep into my medical file, I am taking a older chemo drug Methotrexate but in low dosage to treat the Sjogren's along with hydroxychlorquine among other things to control the flares from Sjogren's.  

Edited by hydeskate - Jun 14 2014 at 4:36am
IDC, 1cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 2/20 nodes, mets, ER-/PR-, HER-
Mets Liver & Lungs
Sjogren's Syndrome
http://heidiy13.blogspot.com/
http://heidyplayscalediorama.blogspot.com/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JenniferBentley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 7:17pm
My Sister has Sjogrens Syndrome too (no cancer though). I heard it is a form of lupus. Her and I both take the same meds as you, the Hydroxyclorquine. It has helped with my lupus side effects but I do still have occasional side effects, but up and down. My sister had similar side effects as you, but effected her eyes first, then lungs. She is doing OK at this time. I believe I have had lupus for many years too, but was not properly diagnosed. I really believe that most of my illness was environmental related. My sister and I grew up next to an oil refinery all our lives. It makes me wonder if that could be the cause. You could laterally smell the pollution in the air.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JenniferBentley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 7:20pm
Another side note. I was diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer so was never on the Tomoxifen, but had no idea that the lupus meds may prevent it from working. Crazy!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic