FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Approaching end of chemo....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Approaching end of chemo....
    Posted: Mar 30 2013 at 11:56am
Hello everyone-  I am so glad I found this site.  When I was first diagnosed in Nov 2012' I thought - `negative` in health care must be a better diagnosis... I realized quickly that didn`t seem to be the case.

I will have my last Taxol on Tuesday, then off to the Cleveland Clinic the next week for surgery options. Both of my grandmothers passed from breast cancer.  My mind has been racing about surgery options, whether or not to have reconstruction... and I am so glad chemo is ending.... then my mind goes onto diet, exercise, etc. -what I need to do, eat, etc. once it ends..  So much to think about-

I found the lump on my own.  And I just knew, and I couldn`t believe how big the lump was when I found it.  

I have been married 8 years in April and we have a beautiful 6 year old daughter.  Again, I am glad I found this site, I just wish we were discussing our kids, hobbies, or vacations.  
IDC Stage 2, grade 3
DX 11/15/2012 @ the age of 40
Dose dense Neoadjuvant Chemo AC/ T started 12/13/2012
Lymph node involvement
BRCA 1/ BRCA 2 neg
Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2013 at 12:22pm
Hello bay,
I am so glad you found this site too.  We all thought being 'negative' was a good diagnosis too.  WRONG!!! 
I am happy that you are finishing your chemo.  I had the same chemo as you plus gemzar.  I had surgery first, a mastectomy.  I did not have reconstruction so I cannot address that question.  
Are you having radiation? 
I wish we were just discussing vacations and  happy things, but, I will be a 7 years survivor in June.  I hope this information gives you a bit of encouragement.

God Bless,
Lillie
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 L/Mast/w/SNB,1of3 Nodes+
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
8/8 thru 11/15 Chemo (Clin-Trial) DD A/Cx4 -- DD taxol+gemzar x4
No Rads.
No RECON - 11/2018-12 yrs NED
MarissaK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarissaK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2013 at 12:29pm
Welcome to the site. I too have been married 8 years and have a soon-to-be 6 year old son. Like you, I thought "it's always positive to test negative for something!" Congrats on being almost done with Taxol!! Surgery/reconstruction options can be overwhelming. My husb and I found this part of the treatment to be more stressful than anything! Will you be having radiation?
DX 5/18/12 at age 34. Stage IIIC IDC TNBC, grade 3, 3 cm (multiregional nodal involvement). DD ACT complete 9/5/12. BMX 10/15/12, ALND: 0/12 nodes. pCR. Rads x 25 + 3 boosts completed 2/6/13. BRCA neg
bay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2013 at 2:16pm
Hi Lillie and MarrissaK,

Yes, as far as I know, I will have radiation too.

I did set an appt with the plastic surgeon the day I go to the Cleveland Clinic.  

I had a PET scan last month and the chemo was doing its job.  The tumor was shrinking :)  
IDC Stage 2, grade 3
DX 11/15/2012 @ the age of 40
Dose dense Neoadjuvant Chemo AC/ T started 12/13/2012
Lymph node involvement
BRCA 1/ BRCA 2 neg
MarissaK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarissaK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2013 at 4:03pm
That's great news! Are your involved lymph nodes under your arm?

After considering all options and with the advice of my oncologist, I went with a double mastectomy with expanders. I had all of my drains out and began the expansion process 6 days after surgery. If you go this route you get expanded before beginning rads. The skin/tissue becomes damaged from rads & may not stretch afterward. I Received weekly fills for 8 weeks and then began radiation a few days after my last fill. There are risks w/getting radiated on top of expanders, such as developing a capsular contracture.  The expansion is working to stretch the skin while the radiation shrinks it. I didn't have too many problems w/the radiation & expanders seem to be doing fine so far (I am 2 mo out from completion of rads). I go see my PS again Mon, but think the standard wait time is about 6-9 months for expander-implant exchange.

There are risks associated with direct implants at time of mastectomy, as well as a tissue transfer from another area of your body later on (major surgery). A tissue transfer wasn't an option for me, so that made my decision a little easier! Just make sure you do all your research and that whatever option you choose, your doctors are all on the same page with the rest of your treatment. It can be overwhelming. 
DX 5/18/12 at age 34. Stage IIIC IDC TNBC, grade 3, 3 cm (multiregional nodal involvement). DD ACT complete 9/5/12. BMX 10/15/12, ALND: 0/12 nodes. pCR. Rads x 25 + 3 boosts completed 2/6/13. BRCA neg
JulieKCA2013 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JulieKCA2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2013 at 12:18am
Welcome.  When I found my lump it was large also.   My husband and I will be celebrating 10 years this year but we too instead of planning how romantically spend this event will most likely be recovering from surgery.   My surgery will be in the summer as long as everything goes well/as planned with my chemo regimen.  I understand how overwhelming all this can be.  I wish you well on your journey.

-Julie
Dx 3-7-13 TNBC, 5cm pT2N1M0
3-19-13 ACx4, 5-14-13 Taxolx4
7-17-13 BMX ypT1N2M0(.9mm) 4/24 nodes.
10-8-13 completed Rads x 30
12-3-13 completed Eribulin Trial
10-18-13, 3-19-14 Bone/Ct Scan Clear
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic