FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Calling out all survivors What to eat?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MomsBabyGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MomsBabyGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Calling out all survivors What to eat?
    Posted: Jun 12 2012 at 8:08pm
I need some help....My mom has tnbc and I want to help her out. I've Been out on maternity leave so I've been able to cook new and healthier dishes for my parents. Now I'm back to work and over 2hours away from her but I still want to help. She has her lumpectomy tomorrow (wishing for the best!) so I want her to have a clean start. What foods are best for her? Tasty meal options? She isn't too thrilled to go vegetarian but she will try any thing. What foods should we stay away from? I want to know what you did to remain tnbc free.my friend from college just lost her mother yesterday to tnbc of 5 years. I love my mom and she is a very very strong african American woman. Age now has a grandson who needs her. So anyone with some great tips for this long journey feel free to help us out! Thanks in advance!!
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2012 at 9:03pm
MomsBabyGirl,

You'll find many writings about trying to follow an anti-inflammatory diet (think Mediterranean diet).  There is a great book you might want to purchase and share with your mother.  Here's a link to it and the AntiCancer Action Guide:

Here's a link to an anti-inflammatory food pyramid by Dr. Weil:

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

nmunoz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nmunoz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2012 at 2:33pm
I second Donna's recommendations and wanted to jump in to first of all let you know I believe that what you are doing for your mom is wonderful, and second to give you another website with good information regarding nutrition and cancer:

http://www.cancerproject.org/

Best,

Natalia
Natalia, 38 years

Dx TNBC 10/22/08, BRCA1+

Double Mx 11/20/08 with Recon.

3/37 nodes

Rads 7 weeks done 8/09

ACx4 every 2 weeks and Tx12 weeks. Avastin e/3 weeksx10 (Clinical Trial) Done Dec/09
dmwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2012 at 6:49pm
Hi,
You are a sweetie to help your mom out like this.  Has she had chemo yet?  What stage is she at (tumor size? number of positive nodes?)?  Dietary changes are probably best made after chemo is over, as she may not feel like eating much.  The biggest thing you can help her do is keep her blood sugar in check to avoid insulin spikes, and to exercise, exercise, exercise.    Of course, as I type this I'm finishing off a cookie with my latte, so who am I to talk.  Sigh.  
Anyways, I wish you both good health and long lives.
love,
-Denise
DX 2/08@43 stg II IDC; gr2,0 nodes. Neoadj chemo, first ACx2 (fail) then CarboTaxotereX6(better). Lump, Rads done 11/08; Clodronate. False alarm queen: PetCT lung & TM marker. NED. PBM w/recon 9/10.
sarah66 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarah66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 14 2012 at 10:41pm
iam reading a book called anti-inflammatory foods for health. it makes a lot of sense to me. the aurthor of the book are barbara rowe and lisa davis. i borrowed it from the library. it talks about what foods are helpful in lowering your bodies inflammation response naturally. and the association of inflammation in the body and certain conditions: cancer, heart disease, obesity, diabetes to name a few. how this is helpful. sarah
Katdoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katdoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2012 at 1:30am
Ask if your mom's cancer hospital has a nutritionist who specializes in advising cancer patients.  Mine had one and she was great.  One important thing she advised was that heavy doses of Vitamin C can interfere with chemo so stay away from Vitamin C supplements during chemo.  After my chemo ended she counseled me on the "anti-cancer diet," which she also called a "plant based diet," which seemed pretty much like an anti-inflammatory diet.  Lots and lots of fruits and vegetables and berries (preferably organic) of varied colors, as different colors signify different nutrients.  Good fats (olive oil, nuts and nut oils, avocados, fatty fish wild caught).  Lean meats.  Beans.  Whole grains.  Limit saturated fats, animal fats, refined flours, sugar.  Your mother should talk to her oncologist or a nutritionist about supplements, but these were the ones recommended to me: fish oil, vitamin D, low dose aspirin, calcium citrate with magnesium.  As to meat, I think most nutritionists would say lean meat is fine, but I try to get most of my protein from nuts, fish, nonfat dairy, products, and beans because they seem to have much more nutritional value than meant and poultry.  You are good daughter!  Tell your mom we are all pullin for her.
Tested positive for BRCA1 mutation (187delAG) in 4/09 @ age 44; BSO 9/09; diagnosed w/TNBC in 10/09; 1 cm Stage 1 TNBC IDC, grade 3 + 1.5 cm DCIS; BMX 11/09, nodes clear; chemo (AC/T).
teamconnor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teamconnor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2012 at 3:43am
Momsbabygirl,
welcome to this sight this is the best possible place to find out anything you need for your mommy.  There are so many helpful woman and men that has helped in so many ways.  with your mom having tnbc make sure your doctors know and will keep a close eye on you.  Our moms have taken care of us for so long and now its time to do the same for them.  Healthy is the way to go from what i understand no soy products what so ever protein protein protein to keep her strength even ifs a mix.  I wish your mom the best of luck and so many other woman! and congrats on your baby
age 39, BRCA 1,dmast 6taxol/carbo, mest to lung, liver, FEC 8 rounds, xeloda 3000mg&ixempra 6 brain tumors within 2 mths radioactive surg complete,6 brain tum radation radioact surg on new
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic