FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FNA/biopsy of axillary node

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
orangekiwi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangekiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FNA/biopsy of axillary node
    Posted: Feb 20 2020 at 1:56pm
My mom just had a TNBC diagnosis after a biopsy. She was asked to get an ultrasound of her axillary nodes and after that they suggested she get FNA because the node did not look cancerous but was a bit swollen (they said it could be swollen from the previous biopsy so not to be too worried yet). 

I was trying to find research that showed what 
* % of women who had an ultrasound of their axillary nodes were recommended to get an FNA
* Of those women who were recommended to get an FNA of the axillary node, how many came positive for cancer vs. negative. 

Do you happen to know if such research exists? 
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2020 at 2:33pm
FNA = Fine needle aspiration

When my PET scan and MRI showed suspicious nodes (internal mammary nodes), I had a fine needle aspiration of those nodes.  It did turn out cancerous.  The FNA procedure doesn't hurt and I was awake during it.

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic