FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Expanders

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rpotts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpotts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Expanders
    Posted: Oct 27 2011 at 6:46pm
I was diagnosed with stage 3 tripple negative breast Cancer in March of this year. I finished my chemo in August and had a bilateral mastectomy September 23rd. I have expanders and just finished another expansion today. My pain level from the fill ups are really bad. Any advice on how to deal with the pain? 
Stage 3 breast cancer survivor
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2011 at 7:17pm
Have you tried valium and/or ibuprofin (advil) or tylenol?  My plastic surgeon recommended taking a valium muscle relaxer prior to each fill.  I found it helped the first time or so, then after that Advil work just fine.  The pain is uncomfortable at first so try to take something that will give you some relief.  Hope it gets better.  How many more fills will you need?

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

rpotts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpotts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2011 at 7:28pm
Thank you for your reply. I took pain meds before hand but the left aches worse than the right side. I have one more expansion and then start radiation.
Thanks again!
Renee
Stage 3 breast cancer survivor
ann u View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ann u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2011 at 10:04pm

Renee

I found that just moving around and doing my normal everyday activities helped to ease the discomfort of the fills - I took ibuprophen every 4-6 hours for a couple of days.  I compare it to what your muscles feel like after a really good workout where you are sore and stiff.  You usually feel better if you move and stretch rather than sitting still and stiffening up more.

If it is really painful, maybe your PS can ease up on your fills a little?

Ann
8/06: IDC 1cm, 0/9 lymph nodes, lumpectomy, Mammosite radiation, 4 x A/C
5/07: BRCA1+ (5382insC)
11/09: IDC 3mm, double mastectomy w/reconstruction

overwhelmed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote overwhelmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2011 at 11:17pm
I just had my last expansion. Because I had delayed reconstruction after radiation, the dr used the latissimus muscle from my back to create a blood supply for tbe implant. The muscle often contracts and spasms. So, I've used the  muscle relaxer Flexaril to stop the spasms. It helps before and after the expansion. I   am having the exchange on Monday, and I am so excited. I hate this expander. This has been difficult, but it will pass. Hopefully, yours will be gone soon too.
DX ILC TNBC 3/10 at 50, Stage IIb; Grade 3; 5.1 to 7 cm,SNB neg;TC-6 rnds, 30 rads, Avastin-18 rnds, BRAC 1&2-
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic