FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Doctors that perform the DIEP

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pshivers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pshivers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Doctors that perform the DIEP
    Posted: Jul 22 2009 at 11:14am
I would like to hear from those of you who have had the DIEP in GA, SC, or AL.  I am looking for a surgain and want the one that has done the most with the least amount of problems.  I am 4 months out from my chemo/rad and have two docs in mind - Dr. Grant Carlson at Emory Hospital in Atlanta, GA and Dr. Robert Allen in Charleston, SC.  Please help....
SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down
Senior Advisor
Senior Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 22 2009 at 2:35pm
Dear pshivers,

Dr. Robert Allen is a pioneer in the procedure....

suggest you post on the FORCE message board and ask the same questions...I mention that because many women on that site are BRCA1+ or BRCA2+ and their focus is more on bilateral mastectomies or PBMs from what I can see rather than treatment on this site..I am not saying women here are not examining various surgical procedures but there is a heavier emphasis on FORCE..

also you can ask about NOLA...I think it is short for The Breast Reconstruction Clinic in New Orleans.

good luck to you and I am not recommending any surgeon and never will but it is my understanding that Dr. Allen is well regarded..

also I would recommend you pick up a copy of "The Breast Reconstruction Handbook" by Kathy Steligo. For full disclosure purposes, Kathy is a friend of mine but I have no financial arrangement with her...have just been told by several women that her book helped them..Sometimes, it is my understanding, the radiation compromises the cosmetic results of the plastic surgery and I believe that is discussed in the book.

good luck to you..

all the best,

Steve

Steve

Edited by steve - Jul 22 2009 at 2:38pm
I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
CAR-LH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAR-LH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 22 2009 at 9:19pm
I second Steve's recommendation.  I have the book by Kathy Steligo and it is full of really good information.  My surgeon is Dr Crisera at UCLA, so I don't know either surgeon mentioned in your posting.  Good Luck!
Cynthia
===========
Ini Dia 6/06; Stage IIB/Neg Nodes; Chemo FAC 6X
Radiation; BRCA 1&2 Neg
Recurrence 9/08; Pos Nodes and Supraclavical (18 of 21; Stage IIIC
Chemo for 9X; Done Chemo 7/27/09
evital View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evital Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2009 at 6:19pm
I am going to have the DIEP done by Dr. Laskin (who is the younger partner of Dr. Carlson) in early August. I have heard very good things about Dr. Laskin and have been impressed by him and the office.
As I approach my surgery I would love to hear from others who had this procedure done recently (DIEP using tissue from the lower stomach) I am just have one breast reconstructed but any advice on what to do or not do? Things that are helpful in the recovery period etc? I am completely done with chemo YEAH! And did not have to have radiation so this is the last step. Thanks Evital
Elaine
Mastectomy 9/17/08, Stage IIA, 3 lymphs neg, Grade 3
ACx4, Tx12
texasgirl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texasgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 07 2009 at 7:58pm

I had my diep done in Dallas on May 4th.  I consulted the 2 doctor in Texas and the NOLA in New Orleans on the phone, but since Nola does not take any any innetwork surgery they wanted $12,000 for the first surgey and after all the surgery and cost of staying there is would have been $20,000 our of pocket. After I told them I was only going to have to pay $250 for everything including the hospital and doctor in Dallas  they came down on their price to $6,000 for the first surgery.  I felt like they were only out for the money.    It is very important you have a doctor  that has done a lot of them(very important since it involves miscrosurgery).  The first doctor was in Houston Dr. Spiegal where I lived, but she was booked for over a year.  After doing research I found Dr. Fredrick Duffy in Dallas and he was the first surgeon in Dallas  to perfom the diep/siep and has done over 300 surgies.  He no longer any other types of  reconstruction because there is too many complications with the tram and lgap.  Plus I did not want implants since I had radiation and the failure rate is high.  I was in surgery for 13 hours but only in the hospital 3 day after surgery.  I had no complicationx and other then the pain from the tummy tuck.   I also had a simple  mastecomy on the other side because I was considered high risk.  I am glad I did my research.  You usually had to wait at least 9 month  after you have had radition for any type of reconstruction.  I am going in two weeks which is out patient surgery so he will even out my breast so  look the same and remove the scars.  Apparently there is no laser out that can also completely remove the scar and he will also add my nipples. I was only able to go to my original B cup because I did not have enough fat and skin but I have more cleavage.  I even has feeling in my breast so they feel so normal.  I feel like a new women with perky breast and a tummy tuck, plus he is going to do body conturing on my legs and hips since my stomach is so small, I have a hard time wearing clothes.  He is giving me a huge discount rate to do this extra surgery.  If you need more information on doctors I think there is a website called diep sisters who the only recommend qualified doctors.  I loved my doctor and would have flow across country to have him do my surgery.  If any of you want more information about this procedure or doctors plase send me a PM and I can give you more information. 

Cindy

dx 5/11/07 (Age 41), Stage IIIC, Grade 3, 12 weekly taxol, 4 FAC, 8.5 cm, Extensive positive nodes, Masectomy 0/17 nodes, 30 Rads, Currently NED
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic