FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Delayed radiation therapy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jinah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jinah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Delayed radiation therapy
    Posted: Apr 26 2013 at 7:43am
Hello.  Jinah here.  Was wondering if anyone had a significant delay in getting radiotherapy.  I was diagnosed with TNBC in July 2012.  Had quadrantectomy.  Chemo FACx4+Tx4.  Chemo started in August 2012 and finished in January 2013.  Found out that I had an Unknown Variant in BRCA1 and BRCA2.  Genetic counsellor suggested that the BRCA2 is probably insignificant, but the BRCA1 is probably a significant mutation, considering my family history.  Mom ovarian cancer at 45 and sis bilateral breast cancer at 35.  Me breast cancer at 37.  So the idea of bilateral mastectomy was floated around.  Stupid me.  Spent too much time agonizing over radiotherapy vs. bilateral mastectomy.  Now, it is 15 weeks post last chemo.  I feel like I want radiotherapy given the possible benefits in preventing loco regional relapse in the lymph nodes and chest wall.  My tumor was quite close to the chest wall and under armpit lymph nodes.  I could always have bilateral mastectomy later should I choose to.  But I feel like, after much thought, I cannot miss this window of opportunity to kill those microscopic cancer cells hiding in the nodes...  Yet, alas, I feel like it is TOO LATE!  I know I cannot take back time, but did anyone have a similar experience?  Any one know anything about diminished efficacy of delayed radiotherapy please??  THANKS..!

MLindaG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MLindaG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 28 2013 at 12:47pm
IMHO It doesn't seem like you are that off in getting the radiation.  I had TNBC diagnosed in June 2012, Chemo started in July ending 12/20/12. Surgery was delayed due to a few issues - 2/13/13 and  I started Rads 3/25/13.  No one made any comment that I was delayed or there was any problem or issue with getting the rads.  I will be done this coming Friday 5/3/13.  Discuss with your onc. 
Dx TNBC 6/12; age 59; Stage 3, Grade 3; 3.5 cm, 3/10 nodes + chest wall nodes; A/C x4, T x 12 completed 12/12 with PCR, 2/13/13 lump; IMRT Rads x 33 completed 5/22/13 BRCA 1 negative.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic