FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Covid Booster shots ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down
Senior Advisor
Senior Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Covid Booster shots ?
    Posted: Aug 24 2021 at 11:42pm
Dear TNBC family,

I have been following the news regarding booster shots as they apply to our community.

Today, I received the following email from Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, NYC, one of the top cancer centers in the U.S.

As I have written many times, on this forum, I am not a doctor or epidemiologist and I am not saying whether anyone here should get vaccinated (if they haven't already) or whether they should get a booster shot but I wanted to share this will all of you because I feel it is important-

https://www.mskcc.org/coronavirus/third-dose-covid-19-vaccine-recommended-some-cancer-patients-weakened-immune-systems?utm_source=MSKNow-08-24-21&utm_medium=email&utm_content=GeneralCancerResearch&utm_type=COVID-19

My personal belief is that the Delta variant may bring our country to a new, concerning, level of illness. 

It is also clear to me that in some cases where I am helping women with severely compromised immune systems their oncologists sometimes recommend that they do not get vaccinated and other oncologists disagree. I will not tell anyone, I am helping, what to do but I do feel it is an important discussion that should be had with your medical advisors. 

I would encourage all here to please try to be safe/careful. 

with my love to all of you,

Steve
I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
Mary Anne K View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary Anne K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2021 at 5:36pm
Thanks Steve, this is good info. I'm going to get a third shot next week. I had my second shot three days after my first chemo, so not sure if I actually built any antibodies or not. Called the oncologist (don't get to talk to him of course, just the PA) and she hadn't heard anything about it. (What??) She said talk to my regular doctor, which I did, and we spent half an hour googling on it and reading cdc stuff and she said she agrees, go ahead and get another one. So I'll do that next week, not early, as I am recovering from BSO. :( 
SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down
Senior Advisor
Senior Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2021 at 5:50pm
Good luck, Mary Anne,

Thanks for sharing your story. I was able to get my booster shot this morning and my wife is getting hers this afternoon. 

Wishing you the best of luck as your recover from surgery.

Be well/safe.

warmly,

Steve

Edited by SagePatientAdvocates - Aug 27 2021 at 5:51pm
I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic