FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Consuming Alcohol

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
CMDW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMDW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Consuming Alcohol
    Posted: May 10 2020 at 1:59pm
I am 67 years old, diagnosed with TNBC one year ago.  I have completed 4 AC 12 T lumpectomy and 30 radiation.  Everything appears fine at this point, but I do have some anxiety about recurrence.  Bringing this on is the fact that my husband and I enjoy a glass of wine with dinner-daily.  My surgeon and radiologist gave their blessing, but when I do online research, I feel conflicted.  This leads to more “googling” which is rarely beneficial.

I do exercise, maintain a healthy weight and eat what I consider to be a cancer fighting diet.  How do others that enjoy a wine or cocktail feel about this?  What do your doctors say?  

I know this seems trivial in the grand scheme of the disease and treatment and apologize if this post offends anyone.  
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2020 at 6:35pm
Hello CMDW,

My oncologist always told me everything in moderation.  I'd go with what your doctors say.  To me, a glass of wine is fine.  I agree with you about Dr. Google and creating more anxiety than we already need!

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Lisa s View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisa s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2020 at 9:45pm
I agree with Donna.  At first my doc talked about studies that show a correlation between alcohol and breast cancer and then said have that glass of wine.  The studies showed alcohol affected hormone positive cancers.
Tortar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tortar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2020 at 12:13pm
it very much depends. there are situations when alcohol may aggravate the health condition, but there are other situations when alcohol may ALLEVIATE the health situation. but then again, it very much depends. i definitely do not support the idea of binge drinking, but i want to say that anything in moderation may be helpful for a specific person in a specific situation
Plume View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plume Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2020 at 10:14am
Some very sensible replies.  If you are going to miss alcohol terribly and would feel somehow deprived, then go ahead.

I didn't drink for about a year during treatment and for about 3 months afterwards.  After that, I'd have a glass of wine on social occasions and sometimes just because I felt like it.

I am now awaiting the first stage of my reconstruction and I am walking daily, doing pilates daily, meditating daily and paying great attention to my nutrition.  So, for the time being, I feel that I would be scuppering (do you have that word in the US?) my bid to be the fittest and strongest ever.  So no alcohol for now and at least until the surgery is over.

It depends how you feel about this but I understand your question.  I spent many, many secret hours wondering whether my previous habit of drinking alcohol regularly contributed to my getting the cancer.  Now I no longer agonise over it......what's done is done and I only want to look forward.

I hope that you can now answer your own question.  You just go ahead and do what you feel is right for you.  Good luck! 
CMDW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMDW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2020 at 5:33pm
Thank you!  I would miss it terribly.  My husband has Parkinson’s and this is a nightly routine that we both look forward to.  We don’t consume after dinner, just while cooking and eating our meal.  

From what I understand, alcohol is more of a risk for estrogen positive cases.

It’s my only vice!
66 at diagnosis. 3/2019, AC/T, lumpectomy, 30 radiation. Complete 12/19. IDC, grade 2-3, 4 cores .2-1.5cm, yellow lobulated fibroadipose, stage pT1b, NO
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic