FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Comprehensive Guide to MBC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bestbird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bestbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Comprehensive Guide to MBC
    Posted: Feb 22 2019 at 12:40pm

When contending with an initial diagnosis, treatment change, or side effect, it can be quite difficult to obtain current science-based information.  When I was diagnosed with MBC in 2011, I began researching the disease and its treatments and shared my notes with other patients.  In 2015 I organized everything into a .pdf entitled “The Insider’s Guide to Metastatic Breast Cancer” that I continually update and have forwarded free of charge in .pdf format to more than 3,100 patients and caregivers worldwide over the past 4 years.  Those interested in receiving a free copy may email me at bestbird@hotmail.com

I’m delighted to say that “The Insider’s Guide to Metastatic Breast Cancer” is now offered in paperback and eBook format on Amazon at https://www.amazon.com/Insiders-Guide-Metastatic-Breast-Cancer/dp/179586060X/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1?crid=2EL3W64I1UXA0&keywords=the+insider%27s+guide+to+metastatic+breast+cancer&qid=1550509998&s=gateway&sprefix=insiders+guide+to+me%2Caps%2C684&sr=8-1-fkmrnull

The Guide contains information that many patients may not be aware of, for example:

·         Hormone Receptor (HR) positive, HER2 negative premenopausal patients are now eligible to take a combination of Kisqali (Ribociclib) which is a CDK4/6 inhibitor, along with an Aromatase Inhibitor (AI) as initial endocrine-based therapy.

·         BRCA positive, HER2 negative MBC patients have the option of taking the FDA-approved PARP inhibitors Olaparib or Talazoparib for their disease.

·         Heavily pre-treated HER2+ MBC patients may be interested to hear that a Phase 3 study called “SOPHIA” showed that the experimental drug Margetuximab in combination with chemotherapy reduced the risk of disease progression or death by 24% compared with patients taking Herceptin and chemotherapy.

·         If Xeloda or 5-FU has been prescribed as treatment, patients may first want to speak with their medical team about getting tested for specific mutations in the DPD (dihydropyrimidine dehydrogenase) gene that could cause a severely toxic or potentially life-threatening reaction.  Approximately 3% to 5% of the population has some degree of DPD deficiency that can put them at risk when taking these drugs.

Since 2015, the book has elicited 19 pages of positive feedback from readers, including:

“Anne, your Guide was a godsend for me when I was too sick and worn down to have ever initiated researching this on my own.  Thank you so much for all you have done.”

“I can’t stop reading it!  So much valuable information in one place.”

“You note a promising drug that I will mention to my doctor.  This is an incredible contribution to the community of women living with various forms of breast cancer. Kudos to you for your professionalism of the writing and for your kindness in sharing.”

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic