FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chemo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
holly elgin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holly elgin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chemo
    Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 10:52am
OK I am nervous about the chemo.Did you all loose your hair? I hate to throw up. How sick did you get?

Holly
DX sept, 1.2 cm stage I, no lymphnodes, bilateral mas on Oct 5th,start chemo on Nov 4th
Sunris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 11:13am
Holly,

I am not sure what type of chemo you will be taking, but I would say that odds are you will lose your hair.

I took 9 weekly treatments of Taxol and lost my hair after the 3rd treatment. Doesn't mean anyone else will.
Each person is different in how their bodies react to chemo. Generally speaking though, it is almost inevitable.

Here is a link about chemo which includes side effects

http://www.chemotherapy.com/treating_with_chemo/treating_with_chemo.jsp?src=ppc&WT.srch=1

Gosh darnit! I have been taught several times how to make these links "hot", but still can't seem to make it happen. I feel fairly? confident that someone will come along and make this link "hot" for you. If not, then you can just copy & paste it.

Hope this helps.
Dawn

Age 43 at DX

DX 3-09 IDC 3.9cm

TN-Stage2-Grade3

Taxolx9, FACx2, halted TX,

Lump.8-25-09..rads x 8wks.

Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 11:16am
Nancy
DD Lori dx TNBC June 13,2007
Lumpectomy due to incorrect dx of a cyst
mastectomy July 6 2007
chemo ACT all 3 every 3 weeks 6 tx Aug-Nov
28 rads ended Jan 2008
Sunris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 11:46am
Thank you   
Dawn

Age 43 at DX

DX 3-09 IDC 3.9cm

TN-Stage2-Grade3

Taxolx9, FACx2, halted TX,

Lump.8-25-09..rads x 8wks.

unklez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unklez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by holly elgin holly elgin wrote:

OK I am nervous about the chemo.Did you all loose your hair? I hate to throw up. How sick did you get?

Holly
DX sept, 1.2 cm stage I, no lymphnodes, bilateral mas on Oct 5th,start chemo on Nov 4th

Dear Holly,
Most common chemo regimens -- AC->T, or TC or AC -- will lead to complete loss of hair. It WILL come back after you finish chemo. As far as nausea and vomiting are concerned, there are excellent drugs now to prevent these. Ask your doctor or chemo nurse to explain how these drugs work. You should not have worries on that front....
Wife Dx: Jul/09. Age: 37. Size: 3cm. BRCA: -ve. Lumpectomy: Aug/09. Micromet 1/9 node. Chemo Start: Sep/09. E5103. DD ACB-> DD Abraxane (Taxol reaction). Zometa (S0307). Canadian Fraction Rads.
mainsailset View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 12:43pm
Holly, good advice above. The meds I was given 15 minutes before infusion worked well for me, I wasn't nauseated for the entire 6 months I was on chemo.

Yup, you're gonna lose your hair, very very few women are able to hang onto it and of those most find the hair loses its texture so just as well. You'll also find that your head will sweat! For me that meant getting a skull cap that I could wash easily and then I wore the pretty ones over them.

Many women here went ahead and got wigs and that worked out well for them, you'll find some great discussions here on the site. Just go to the top of the page to the "search" button and then you can type in wigs and it will find discussions for you. That's a good button for lots of things, so put it to use!

Make sure when you go in to the doctor's office to always get copies of your tests, they'll do blood work on you and keep those, make sure you question the nurses that they have the right bag of chemo that has your name on it, wear comfortable clothes, have a friend drive you home the first time, then drink tons and tons of water.

You'll do fine, I found the anticipation was 10x worse than the reality (not that the reality isn't a challenge mind you)

dx 7/08 TN 14x6.5x5.5 cm tumor

3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT clear 10/18/10 CT clear
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 2:36pm
Holly,

While not everyone will have the same side effects from chemo, you'll most likely lose your hair.  I definitely did about 15 days after my first chemo.  The good news is this website has a link to "Good Wishes Scarves" where they'll give you a free scarf.  Take look at the different scarves they have available and order one before you start treatment.  I ordered mine about 3 weeks ago and haven't received it yet, so give yourself enough time to get yours.   Let us know what type of chemo you'll be receiving and feel free to ask any question.  The side effects are manageable and you'll get through it!

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

ChrissieD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrissieD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 5:27pm
Hi Holly,

Chemo is nerve racking for sure!  You can and will get through it.  I had 4 cycles of AC followed by 4 cycles of Taxol.  My hair started falling out about 14 days after my first infusion. I would recommend you get a wig before your tx start.  That way you will have it.  Paula Young (I am sure you can google them) has really great ones and they are not too $$.  I only wore my wig 5 times.  I was much more comfortable in scarves and hats (it was winter in New England!) but was happy to have my wig for "dress up" and when I felt like not feeling like I was getting chemo. 

There are so many anti nausua drugs available now to help control any stomach upset.  Your nurses should give you a schedule of what to take when.  Take the meds as directed to ward off any sickness.  If you stay ahead of it it should be better.  If the meds are not working call your onc right away and ask what to do.  Again, there is so much out there that they can give you. 

Best of luck to you.
chrissie
Bonnie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2009 at 12:51am
Holly:  Yes, the nerves leading up to your first chemo can really get to you.  The treatment itselt is pretty uneventful for Ashley, my daughter.  She usually starts feeling the effects mid-afternoon on treatment day.  Very fatigued and nausea but no throwing up yet!  The Neulasta shot received 24 hours after chemo can cause some bone pain.  Day 13 is when she started losing her hair.  She chose to go ahead and buzz it.  She looks beautiful and I know you will, too. 
Bonnie - Daughter Ashley dx TN 8/09 @ 22; St3, BRCA1/2-; AC&Ixempra done 2/10; mets to lung 3/10; G/C 3/10; PARP 6/10; sternum mets 9/10; NK012 failed; mets to liver, spine, kidney; Avastin/Xeloda
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2009 at 4:30am
Holly,
You might look in the News/Resource section where we have some great tips for chemo treatments.

Getting your headwear ready is something to help keep you busy whether you buy wigs, scarves, caps, etc..   You will also find links in the News/Resource section for several places to go online.

A couple are    http://www.headcovers.com  
Another        http://www.tlc.direct.com

Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
kmartin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2009 at 10:10am
Dear Holly,

I, too, preferred to wear scarves...I wore bandanas from Wal-Mart. Every few weeks they have new one to choose from. I did have 2 synthetic wigs for "dress up" and wore them less than 10 times. They were very hot, and induced hot flashes for me. It was summer.

I took Emend, an anti-nause pill taken the day before, day of and day after chemo. I had NO nausea. It is expensive, so check out what the cost will be to you. I had insurance that paid for all but $15.

See the Tips and Resources sections of this site for many tips before chemo....this is a very doable bump in the road. You can do thisClap

We are here for your questions...always write them down for your doctor.

Try to relax, b/c as was stated earlier, the anticipation is worse than the actual infusion. You will do fine. Did you get a port?

Kathy
Found Lump, 2/8/08
Bx IDC, Stage 2, Grade 3, TN
Lumpectomy, axillary node dissection 3/11/08
4/33 positive nodes
TAC x 4, AC x 1
RT x 33-finished 10/14/08
BRCA 1 & 2 Negative
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic