FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chemo - should I or shouldn't I??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
BanR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BanR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2013 at 3:33pm
kind of boundary condition mine is. it is 1.2 cm. 
margaretc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote margaretc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2013 at 9:15am
Well I have finally made a decision!  I will be starting chemo next week with CMF.  I did get a second opinion at Sloane Kettering. My first MO thought I should have TC but did give me the option of CMF (she did say that Sloane would recommend that).  I was afraid of the taxane drugs as I already have some neuropathy in hands and feet.  I hear that CMF doesn't make your hair fall out! They say it is the least toxic of the three regimens they suggested. I do have some anxiety about this especially with the holidays so near.  Has any one had treatment with CMF? Would love to hear from you.  Thank you all again for being such great support.  God Bless!
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2013 at 9:35am
Margaretc,

I think you've made a good decision.  So glad you got a second opinion as I really think it helps us make the best, most informed decisions.  I didn't have CMF, but others have and hopefully will post soon.

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

margaretc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote margaretc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2013 at 2:11pm
Thanks Donna.  Looking forward to other posts.  Margaret
Fats1976 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fats1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2013 at 4:18pm
Hi Margaretc

My mom did Cmf, Schedule A infusions Day 1 and Day 8, with tablets Day 1 to 14... Then two weeks off, she did 6 rounds, so treatment took 6 months... She didn't loose her hair, but had of thinning, have a look at www.macmillan.org.uk search cmf Chemo it will give you all the info... It was tough, but mom survived it! Keep us updated on your treatment, all the best Fats
Mom Dx 9/12
Stage 1c No Nodes involved.
Lump clear margins 10/12. Started 6 months of cmf chemo 11/12. Ended 4/13. RADS 28 tx 7 boosts ended 7/13. 02/14 Scans NED. 10/14 Scans NED. 6/15 Scans NED.

Fats1976 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fats1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2013 at 4:33pm
Margaretc

My mom started the Chemo in November, then again beginning December, on her two weeks off, we went on holiday over Christmas and new year, She did get tired easily, so we just allowed her to rest most afternoons.... She still helped with my boys because she wanted to, I think with the cmf, it got harder with every round! But everyone is different, I think all Chemo's now a days are managed better with all the medication they give to help with side effects! Just think of all the amazing ladies here that have managed to do chemo, You'll manage! GOD Bless
Mom Dx 9/12
Lump clear margins 10/12. Started 6 months of cmf chemo 11/12. Ended 4/13. RADS 28 tx 7 boosts ended 7/13. 02/14 Scans NED. 10/14 Scans NED. 6/15 Scans NED.

margaretc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote margaretc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2013 at 10:26am
Thank you for all the info Fats.  I will check the website.  Not sure if i will have pills.  I was told all IV.  God Bless to you and your Mom.
Fats1976 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fats1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2013 at 10:40am
Hi Margaretc

Yes, there is a few different ways that cmf is given, the Iv one, if I remember is every 3 weeks, The tablets were very hard to take, towards the end, mom hated them, so I think the IV is better! 
Have a great weekend! 
Fats
Mom Dx 9/12

margaretc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote margaretc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2013 at 11:21pm
Hi all.  Had my first chemo last Thursday and I'm still feeling good!!  I get a bit "jumpy" at times but the nurse navigator said that it was from the steroids I was given prior to the IV drip.  I have heard that the SE can be cumulative so I will just have to wait it out.  I'm trying to be VERY positive about this because I have so much to look forward to in the next few months - my daughter and family are coming here for the Christmas holidays and I have a cruise planned for the end of January.  (Planned long before my diagnosis but I did take out insurance!!!!) I was hoping to hear from others who had the CMF regimen but I will report back after the next chemo which is in 2 weeks.  God Bless 
lisab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2013 at 8:16am
I am so glad to read that you are responding well to the chemo.  I hope this continues and know that we are here for you.  I wish I knew about CMF but I don't - I am sorry.  

Keep us posted and God be with you through this journey.  So many wonderful things for you to look forward to.  Keep focused on those and your loving family.

Lisa B.
Diagnosed June 2004. Lumpectomy and radiation. BRCA2+. PBM w/DIEP Recon March 2005. Mets in chest wall June 2007. Chemo (Gemzar and Carboplatin) with radiation completed January 2008 - 5+ years ago.
amw3806 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amw3806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2014 at 5:10pm
Just saw this forum and I can really relate. I was diagnosed with TN IDC in Nov. My tumor size was measured at 1.7 cm and I just recently had a lumpectomy with node bx. Thankfully I had clear margins and no node involvement. Also I had the BRCA test and was neg and blood work came back really good as well. I have been trying to decide if I want chemo as well. I do have a fear of recurrence but I am also 31 and want to have a child and have heard about chemo and infertility. The procedures for fertility ( egg/embryo freezing) are too expensive for me. I will definitely be getting a second opinion but I have to meet with my Oncologist Thurs to discuss treatment....Good Luck I guess it really comes down to what is right for you :)
TriplePositiveGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriplePositiveGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2014 at 11:55am
Hi amw3806,

Since you are very young with this diagnosis (31), I would bet that even if you had chemo, you would probably see your periods resume normally after treatment is finished. Of course there are no guarantees, but I bet there are other women on these boards that were in your situation (wanting children) that experienced chemo. I hope they share their stories. Since your tumor is 1.7 cm, I'm sure the doctor must be wanting you to do the chemo, right? I think getting a second opinion is smart too. Just keep in mind TNBC is very aggressive, and attacking this cancer with all that is available from the start can help keep recurrence odds down.

Best of luck to you,
Lisa
Diagnosed Jan 2010; Stage IIa, grade 2, 3.2cm in rt. breast, no nodes and BRCA-. 4 cycles Carbo/Gemzar 3/10; Lump 6/10; 2 cycles carbo/gem after surgery 8/10; 35 Rads finished 12/1/10. NED.
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2014 at 12:26pm
amw,

It's a good idea to bring a list of questions with you when you meet with your onc on Thursday.  Do you have a recorder or smart phone where you can record the session?  A second opinion is a great idea.  I'm just throwing my 2 cents - get the chemo and radiation.  Your tumor was 1.7 cm, Stage 1.  We only get one chance to throw everything at this beast.  TNBC is very aggressive, but usually responds well to chemotherapy.  My tumor was 1.5 cm, I did chemo and it still came back.  Don't take this diagnosis lightly.  Please do everything you can to prevent it from returning.  Live with no regrets.  At your age, you should get your period back.  I've seen several women on this forum and on facebook groups who've gone on to have children after treatment.  Wishing you the best.

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic