FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chemo course of treatment for new diagnosis

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Donna7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donna7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chemo course of treatment for new diagnosis
    Posted: Oct 30 2013 at 10:49am
Hello to all.  I was diagnosed September 26th.  I am 45.  My tumor in my right breast is 2.5 x 2.1, nuclear grade 3. Lymph nodes are negative.  I am concerned about the aggressive course of treatment my oncologist has recommended -- 8 weeks (1 week on, 1 week off) of AC; then 12 weeks (1 x/week) of Taxol)...I'm getting freaked out about the cardiotoxicity of the Adriamycin.  I read recently that the TC regime is becoming more common for node-negative breast cancer than AC.  Hence, why the recommendation of AC, then Taxol?  I've put off the chemo start date on friday and asked that the appointment be a discussion instead.  I just do not have a comfort level right now...should I also get a second oncologist opinion?  (already did for the breast surgeon).  Comments, please!  By the way, I am reading "Surviving Triple-Negative Breast Cancer" by Dr. Patricia Prijatel....that book and this website have been my saving grace!  Thumbs Up

debB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2013 at 3:56pm
Donna,

What is recommended is currently the standard of care for TN. Since chemo, surgery, and radiation are the only tools that we have to treat this, they go after it with the big guns. I think there are some folks out there that are starting to back off on Adriamycin, but I don't think it is wide-spread yet.

If you have any concerns at all, it is very advisable to get a second opinion from an NCCN facility. Even without reservations, it is not a bad practice anyway!

Keep us posted on your decision,
Deb
Dx 4/29/11, 46 yrs old, 3.9 cm tumor, Stg 2 Grade 3 chemo 4 rounds DD AC, 12 weekly taxol, finish. Lumpectomy, 2mm residual tumor. 37 rounds rads completed. Cisplatin/PARP trial
Donna7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donna7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2013 at 4:07pm
Thank you, Deb!  As I read this thread and some more today, I do see that...will question what I read with respect to the TC approach.  I have lots of questions for the oncologist on Friday and will keep  you posted on my decision.
Best in health,
D
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2013 at 9:00pm
Donna7,

Hello to another Donna!  If you can, I'd get a 2nd opinion.  It's the one advice I wish I had done when I was first diagnosed.  

Have you had your Vitamin D level checked?  Most of us were deficient when diagnosed.

http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/vitamin-d3_topic5338_page37.html

Donna

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2013 at 12:33pm
Dear Donna7,

A/C T is the Standard of Care for triple negative.  You will see that most here have this regimen in one way or another. 
Others, like 123Donna above had T/C x 4.  She gave you good advice about seeking a second opinion.  It is a personal decision, but please get a second opinion before you make a decision to skip the Adriamycin.

Good luck with your decision and treatments.  Keep us posted.

God Bless,
Lillie
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 L/Mast/w/SNB,1of3 Nodes+
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
8/8 thru 11/15 Chemo (Clin-Trial) DD A/Cx4 -- DD taxol+gemzar x4
No Rads.
No RECON - 11/2018-12 yrs NED
Donna7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donna7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2013 at 1:32pm
Hello, Donna!  Thanks so much for your input.  I feel well-prepared for this consultation tomorrow and got a name from a friend for another consult....it  may be that I start the chemo, but still seek a fuller second opinion, depending how satisfied i am with the meeting on Friday.  Will keep you all posted!

Oh, by the way, I don't know how to put all that info. at the bottom of a message (everyone has it underneath their messages re: diagnosis, treatment, etc...)?
Donna7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donna7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2013 at 3:53pm
Dear Lillie,

First, your profile picture of you and your hubby is adorable!  I got the name of another oncologist that I will speak with on Monday, while asking additional questions of mine tomorrow...thanks a million for the input!  Oh, my oldest daughter is a Lillie too, but we spell it Lily-Max...Smile
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2013 at 6:08pm
Donna7,

Here's how to get your information so that it shows up at the end of your posts.  

1. On the upper left side of your screen, click on Member Control Panel
  2. Click on Edit Profile
  3. Scroll down until you see Signature, type the information in the box you want to appear at the bottom of your posts
  4. Once you are happy with your info, scroll down to the bottom and click on Update Profile to save your changes
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Donna7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donna7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2013 at 8:46am
Hello to all!  It's been a bit since I posted, so apologies.  Did  my research for the recommended course of treatment, had second oncology opinion, and moved forward with initial recommendation.  Just felt so much better that I became informed and my own advocate -- very empowering.  So, I started chemo on Nov. 6th and had my second round this past Wed., November 20th....Day 14 and the hair began falling out.  Had it shaved this weekend and kept a little buzz....got the wig, hair secret and scarves and hats, so ready to deal!  My head hurt and at first I thought it was because i had the top of my hair in a ponytail when I exercised, but no go....2 days of head hurting, but that has gone away with the shave....so far, I've pretty much been fatigued first few days.  But, I've been able to continue to exercise, even if it is just walking with arm weights on some days. Fortunately, the anti-nausea meds prior to chemo infusion have been working well.  Going to a "Look good, feel better" session by American Cancer Society in early December.  Looking forward to getting some pampering before the holidays!  Blessed Thanksgiving to all!
D
DX 9/26/13 IDC TNBC; Grade 3 tumor; Stage 1; tumor deep, about 2.3 cms; surgery post chemo
SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down
Senior Advisor
Senior Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2013 at 11:14am
Hi Donna,

Thank you for posting and we all wish you good results from your chemo. 

Don't see a profile for you and perhaps you have told us before and you have my apologies if you did but have you seen a Certified Genetic Counselor and been tested for BRCA1/2?

again, good luck,

Steve
I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic