FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Chemo Brain" Study

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DebraM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DebraM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Chemo Brain" Study
    Posted: Sep 29 2011 at 10:01pm
Hello and I would like to echo the heartfelt THANKS that many of the other newbies have expressed for this site.  I have found so much information, sharing, and most-important caring on this site.  I was blissfully unaware of how my life would change just a couple of short months ago and then... "breast cancer?...triple what?"  And the Googling began and I found you all.

I did meet with an oncologist, decided not to have chemo -- got a second opinion (with a different chemo regimen suggested) and have decided to have chemo.  Such a personal decision and probably the hardest decision I ever hope to have to make.  My treatments start next Monday, Oct 3.  Your insights and tips have been invaluable in making me more knowledgeable and comfortable with my decision.

But on to the subject of this post: I was asked to participate in a study on the effects of chemotherapy on the cognitive functions in chemotherapy patients.  It is called URCC 10055:  URCC CCOP Cognitive Study.  It will take a couple of years to complete the study (so of course will not benefit me personally) but I am hoping it will be of benefit to future patients. 

I thought this study might be of interest to the members of this site.  Keep up the great informative and supportive posts.  I'll be visiting often.

Debra
Diagnosed 7/2011;right breast mastecomy 8/2011;Stage 1, grade 3 TNBC 1.9cm tumor;reconstruction currently in progress;chemo of docetaxel/cytoxan beginning 10/3/11.
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2011 at 11:53pm
Debra,

This sounds like a great clinical trial that will help all women going through treatment.  I believe chemo brain happens and the more they research it, the more they'll learn about ways to help or improve the condition.  I applaud you for deciding to join this trial.

Donna

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

kirby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 30 2011 at 2:09am
Debra,
Do keep us posted. You will be helping many by doing this trial. I am so glad to hear chemo brain is still being looked at. Would love to hear ongoing details.
kirby

dx Feb. 2001. Age 44
Lumpectomy

2cm. no nodes stage 1 grade 3

4 rnds AC, 35 rads
DebraM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DebraM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 30 2011 at 11:14am

I was more than happy to help with this research -- think of all of those who have gone before us and agreed to clinical tests to help us to where we are today.  I've read about "chemo brain" on more than one site so maybe they will eventually find a way to help lessen that effect.  If you ever want to feel like a total dope, take one of these tests  *laugh*  The clinical researcher warned me it was hard, but wow!  Can't even imagine what my results will be after I start the chemo.  The tests are before I start treatment, throughout the treatment and then one last test six months after treatment ends.

Diagnosed 7/2011;right breast mastecomy 8/2011;Stage 1, grade 3 TNBC 1.9cm tumor;reconstruction currently in progress;chemo of docetaxel/cytoxan beginning 10/3/11.
cheeks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheeks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 30 2011 at 12:03pm
I would also love to know because from just reading about it online it doesn't come close to describing what i experience almost 2 years out from my chemo.
Lump found 11/08
DX: 2/09 @52 TNBC
L. Mast. 3/26/09, SN-, BRCA-,
4.5 cm (post surgical)T2NOMO
Chemo: 4/09-10/09 Taxol x 12,
A/C x 4, No rad.No recon. NED 1/17. New Primary right breast TN, 2/2018.
Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 30 2011 at 5:15pm
Dear DebraM,

First, Welcome to the TNBC site. So sorry you have a need to be here, but so glad we have a place like this to come and share and find support.

Second, Congratulations on making the decision to have chemo. You could be OK without it, but triple negative is a type of cancer that needs all the ammonition we can use against it.

Third, How wonderful that you are participating in the 'chemo brain' trial. It takes people like you to pave the way for 'hopefully' easier times in the future. The trial really sounds interesting and I will be looking forward to learning more about it as you report to us.

Take Care and God Bless,
Lillie
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 L/Mast/w/SNB,1of3 Nodes+
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
8/8 thru 11/15 Chemo (Clin-Trial) DD A/Cx4 -- DD taxol+gemzar x4
No Rads.
No RECON - 11/2018-12 yrs NED
DebraM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DebraM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 30 2011 at 11:14pm
Hello Cheeks -- This is the information I was given and the information I found online which describes the reason behind the study.  I have no experience yet with chemo-brain but I'm sure I'll know about it soon enough... Confused

Why is this study being done?

Many cancer patients report mild to moderate cognitive difficulties (such as problems remembering things, multi-tasking, or concentrating) during and following treatment of their cancer and currently we do not have very good treatments for these difficulties. We also do not know what may be causing these difficulties.

This study is being conducted to better understand how common these cognitive difficulties are by using cognitive testing measures, as well as self-report measures. We believe that cognitive difficulties associated with cancer and chemotherapy treatments may be related to increased inflammation and other processes that can impact inflammation in the body; inflammation and inflammation-related processes are associated with cognitive difficulties in other diseases, and the same may be true for cancer and cognition. Inflammation is the basic way in which the body reacts to infection, irritation or other injury. We will evaluate these relationships in this study by assess your blood and DNA.
cheeks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheeks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 30 2011 at 11:30pm
Thanks for the information and it will definately be interesting because I have been having some difficulties with word retrieval and spelling words among other things.

Blair
Lump found 11/08
DX: 2/09 @52 TNBC
L. Mast. 3/26/09, SN-, BRCA-,
4.5 cm (post surgical)T2NOMO
Chemo: 4/09-10/09 Taxol x 12,
A/C x 4, No rad.No recon. NED 1/17. New Primary right breast TN, 2/2018.
kirby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2011 at 2:14am
There have been many studies done on chemo brain. It will be interesting what this new study comes up with. I did a term paper on chemo brain probably 2 years ago. According to studies I read then imaging was being done on the brain of people that had had chemo , those that hadn't and before and after. They could see differences but just weren't sure of how it was happening. It was once thought that chemo didn't cross the blood to brain barrier but they are not so sure that is true anymore. I think the Danes did the first studies in 1998. UCLA and researchers in Japan had seemed to make the most headway in studies.  Hurricane Voices [a breast cancer organization] did a fairly in depth study with results posted in 2008. The organization needed to close as did the website[ perhaps due to funding] so I am not sure if their 15 [or so] page study is still available online.
kirby

dx Feb. 2001. Age 44
Lumpectomy

4 rnds AC, 35 rads
MaryinSarasota View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaryinSarasota Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 04 2011 at 8:32am
Debra, thanks so much for posting about the Chemo Brain clinical trial. I too have many cognitive abnormalities since chemo 3 years ago. Word-finding, no more multitasking (the hardest to give up), depression, short-term memory loss. I would love to join a study for this but will settle for the results and hopefully some treatment advise. I will try to find that paper Kirby. If I can I will post it. Thanks again ladies.

Mary
53 @ Dx 5/08 Stage 1, grade 3, IDC 1.6 cm, 0 nodes, TNBC, lumpectomy, chemo TAC-6, radiation-34 12/18/08
NED-10/09, PBM w/TE recon. 7/10, removal of TE/infec 8/10. CT chest. Rec fat-graft & stem cells

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaryinSarasota Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 04 2011 at 8:43am
Hi, I managed to find it. Sorry to see that one go, seemed interesting.
http://www.fhcrc.org/patient/support/survivorship/MovingBeyondCancer/pdfs/2011/Cognitive.pdf
53 @ Dx 5/08 Stage 1, grade 3, IDC 1.6 cm, 0 nodes, TNBC, lumpectomy, chemo TAC-6, radiation-34 12/18/08
NED-10/09, PBM w/TE recon. 7/10, removal of TE/infec 8/10. CT chest. Rec fat-graft & stem cells
kirby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 04 2011 at 11:10pm
Interesting that this study also quoted the Hurricane Voices study.

Thanks for the link. Do keep us posted.

kirby

dx Feb. 2001. Age 44
Lumpectomy

4 rnds AC, 35 rads
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2011 at 10:43pm
Debra,

I was at a lecture this evening and we were talking about side effects from treatment.  When we mentioned chemo brain, the speaker questioned whether it could be from chemo since most chemo doesn't cross the blood/brain barrier.  She thought cognitive issues may have more to do with other drugs given and anesthesia from all our surgeries.  Could you ask this question to one of the trial coordinators?  I believe chemo brain is real, but now wonder what may actually cause it.

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

DebraM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DebraM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2011 at 11:04pm

Donna -- The American Cancer Society believes chemo brain is real too.  If you haven't read their take on it, you can follow this link:

I need to ask the Trial administrator another question, so I will try to see if they have any further information than what they have all ready provided.  One thing I did forget to mention is that at each testing, they take several vials of my blood for testing.
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2011 at 12:10pm
DebraM,

I believe chemo brain is real too.  I saw the change from personal experience and know it happens.  I just thought the comment about chemo not breaking the blood/brain barrier thought provoking.  Maybe it effects the brain through other ways we don't know about or maybe it's more than just the chemo (everything in combination) that causes chemo brain.  I'm looking forward to learning more from your study.  We need studies like these to look at the long term effects.

Donna

Edited by 123Donna - Oct 16 2011 at 12:10pm

123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2011 at 8:10am

Neurological Impairment Associated With Chemotherapy

A report in the November issue of the Archives of Neurology, one of the JAMA/Archives journals outlines cases of women who survived breast cancerand showed neurological impairment. The problem seems to be markedly worse in those who received chemotherapy compared with those that did not.

Breast cancer is one of the most common public health issues, with global incidence estimated at 39 per 100,000 individuals per year. Although primary Breast Cancer has not in the past been associated with neurological problems, a growing body of evidence supports the case that patients are at increased risk for altered brain structure and function. 

Shelli R. Kesler, Ph.D., and colleagues at Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, Calif., conducted an observational study to find out if profiles of brain activation were different among breast cancer survivors treated with or without chemotherapy, compared with healthy control women. The study included more than sixty women matched for age and other demographic variables : 

• 25 women with breast cancer who received chemotherapy
  • 19 women with breast cancer who did not receive chemotherapy
  • 18 healthy female controls
The women were asked to perform various tasks, and the researchers used functional MRI to measure activation in several areas of the brain.

The report states : 

"Women with BC demonstrated significantly reduced activation in the left middle dorsolateral prefrontal cortex and premotor cortex compared with healthy controls ... The chemotherapy group also demonstrated significantly reduced left caudal lateral prefrontal cortex activation and increased perseverative errors and reduced processing speed compared with the other two groups."

In addition it was deemed possible that chemotherapy may well affect brain function according to the person's level of education and with increased age. Clearly a side effect of chemotherapy that is seldom discussed, would appear to be a duller brain.

The report concludes that : 

"This study provides further evidence that primary breast cancer may cause measurable brain injury ... Women treated with chemotherapy may show additional prefrontal deficits and have difficulty compensating for neurobiological changes such that they also show impaired executive function."

Written by Rupert Shepherd 
Copyright: Medical News Today 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaryinSarasota Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2011 at 8:33am
Well Donna, I am glad to see this. I know, just know I am not the same person I was 3 years ago. Thanks for the confirmation, I think..

I hope you are doing well. xxoo
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic