FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chemo before Radiation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Spiderman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spiderman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chemo before Radiation
    Posted: Jun 06 2009 at 8:31am
Hey all, just reading quite a bit around on here and seem to see lot's having radiation before chemo.

My mothers program is the opposite, chemo first, then radiation. Is there a difference?
mefowler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mefowler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2009 at 1:58pm
Dear Spiderman,

In my experience, chemo usually precedes radiation unless someone gets radiation without chemotherapy and then is found to have a recurrence or metastasis.  Hope this helps.

Maire
53 yo, dx'd 11/08 at 51, 2.9 cm IDC, node-neg, neoadj chemotx with Taxotere/carboplatin q3wks x 6, lumpectomy 4/09, path showed pCR, margin reexcision 5/09, rad'n 6-8/09, intermittent Tarceva, dc'd
Sunris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2009 at 3:08pm
Hello Spiderman,

I would venture to say that chemo before radiation is the standard of care in most breast cancer patients.
I live in Texas and go to M.D. Anderson and my course of treatment plan is as follows :

Taxol - 1 x weekly for 12 weeks
FAC - 1 x every 3 weeks for 12 weeks
Surgery - Lumpectomy or Mastectomy ( whichever I choose)
Radiation - 5 days per week x approx. 6 weeks

My oncologist prefers neoadjuvant therapy(chemo before surgery) as she feels being able to shrink the tumor before surgery offers less invasive options regarding surgery, and allows them to follow progress of the tumor while doing chemo.

Dawn

Age 43 at DX

DX 3-09 IDC 3.9cm

TN-Stage2-Grade3

Taxolx9, FACx2, halted TX,

Lump.8-25-09..rads x 8wks.

Spiderman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spiderman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2009 at 6:56pm
Thanks, that helps, at least I know they are doing what they are supposed to be doing. She had her lumpectomy done first, finishing chemo shortly, then onto radiation.

Diane in AZ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane in AZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2009 at 6:48am
Hi Spiderman,

I was one of the ones that had radiation before chemo.  I had Mammosite radiation, which is one week (twice a day) instead of the five to seven week post-chemo radiation.  Apparently, this is standard procedure for Mammosite, even if you're continuing on to have chemo.

However, I think radiation after chemo is standard and used the majority of the time.
Diane

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune--without the words,
And never stops at all
JustVal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustVal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2009 at 6:27pm
After my second diagnosis of bc on the same breast as the first diagnosis, I opted for radiation first, then chemo. It just makes sense to me. I had a double mastectomy and did not do radiation the first time around. I wish I had. May not have got it the second time around.
Val
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2009 at 5:12pm
Val,

I hope you won't feel like you may have done something wrong the first time and it came back. 
We do the best we can when we are diagnosed with the information given to us.

With this kind of breast cancer "they" don't seem to know which way to do what so one thing works for one woman and not another woman.  It's almost like someone throwing the dice in the air and seeing how it lands.

This has to change and hopefully yesterday!

Edited by trip2 - Jun 20 2009 at 5:14pm
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic