FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chances of recurrence after mastectomy. .

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
My threesomes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote My threesomes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chances of recurrence after mastectomy. .
    Posted: Nov 26 2013 at 7:12am
I just had a mastectomy on October 4, 2013. My pathology report showed no evidence of disease. Which is great. However why do I feel so scared now. I am afraid that it will come back and with poorer results. How do I keep from feeling this way? What are the chances of recurrence?
Annie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Annie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2013 at 8:27am

Dear My Three Sons, You did not mention your stats as far as tumor size, node involvement etc. Are you BRCA positive or negative and have you been tested for this. I believe Donna will be by shortly to send you a link that addresses the concerns you mention.

In the meantime fear is something we all share and especially so early on. It is not uncommon. The one thing that will help is to take one day at a time. Try to focus on the good things and be grateful for all of that which comes to you in that day that is good and you will soon begin to find as a member on this site says "THE BEAUTY IN EACH DAY".

Know that all of us here have felt that fear so you are in good company and not alone.

Have you had treatment chemo or radiation. Sometimes we are a little more anxious after all of this and if you are you could if you wish ask your Dr. for Ativan sublingual which you could take occasionally if the need presents itself.

Please post here often and view the posts they will bring a great deal of help to you as you learn how each of us has dealt with various situations and feelings, all the while sharing hope and encouragement with each other.

Keeping you in my prayers, God Bless, Love, Annie

Annie TNBC Stage IIA Gr 3 1cm lesion 2/5 lymph nodes+ lumpectomy,FEC & D 30Rads finished(08/2009) BRCA- Chronic Cellulitis due to Radiation-- L.Mastectomy Jan 2012
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2013 at 8:28am
Can you tell us a little more about your pathology?  What stage were you?  Grade?  Size of tumor?  Any nodes involved?  
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2013 at 9:33am
Dear Threesomes,
So glad you found us.  Please know that the fear it"normal" for all of us TNBC girls.  I do believe when we know more about your situation, we will be able to help you through this.

WE UNDERSTAND and please keep posting.

Love and God Bless,
Lillie
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 L/Mast/w/SNB,1of3 Nodes+
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
8/8 thru 11/15 Chemo (Clin-Trial) DD A/Cx4 -- DD taxol+gemzar x4
No Rads.
No RECON - 11/2018-12 yrs NED

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote My threesomes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2013 at 12:49am
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone,

Let me tell you my story. My Mother was diagnosed with breast cancer at 75. My sister and I took her to all of her appointments, so I became very familiar with the treatment of breast cancer. I lost my Mom in October 2012. She was a wonderful lady. Well I started running to help deal with my grief. I entered the Nike Women's Half-Marathon. In April I completed my first half marathon. In May I had my yearly mammogram, the office was offering a new screening so I took it since my Mom had breast cancer. Two days later they called back and requested me to come back and have another mammogram /biopsy.

On May 13th I was told I had triple negative breast cancer. The tumor was 2cm/stage 2A and has not spread to any nodes.   Within two days I had a port put in and within a week I started chemo. I was tested for BRCA 1 and BRCA2. These test came back negative. I had 4 cycles of A/C and 4 cycles of Taxol (this one was the hardest). I continued to work full-time while undergoing my treatment. I completed my last cycle of chemo on September 12th.   I had a MRI prior to my last treatment, the result showed that the tumor was completely iradicated. On October 4th I had a masectomy with DIEP Flap.   My pathology report showed no evidence of disease.

I returned to work on November 18th. Prior to returning to work I joined a support group to help me deal with survivor issues and how to respond to questions from coworkers.

I am doing well. I just register for the Nike Women's Half-Marathon. Once I get approval from my surgeon I will start running again. This time it will be not only to honor my Mom but to celebrate my new life.

My Three Sons
MaxEmily View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaxEmily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2013 at 8:32am
Hi everybody, another newbie here.  I have received so much support from this site over the past year, I am finally in a place where I would like to be part of this community and great group of women ( and the occasional man!!) I went in for my yearly mammo on Jan 3rd.  January 4th around 1:30 I received that dreaded phone call.  I went in January 8th for a compression mammogram and ultrasound, and the dr knew as soon as she saw the ultrasound that it was cancer.  I honestly do not remember much of the rest of that day, I do not think I stopped crying the whole day.  I kept saying, ¨I do not know what to do¨, because I didn't......this was the last thing I thought I would be dealing with and it caught me completely off guard.  No family history.  Anyway, got the results of the biopsy on January 15th, & had a double mastectomy on January 21st.  Pathology came back as Stage 1a, 8mm tumor, triple negative, clear margins , 0/5 lymph nodes.  Started chemo in February, 4 dose dense AC followed by 12 weekly Taxols.  Finished July 8th, and I am finally getting my hair back!!

I have the same questions as the other newbie here, how do I get control of the fear of it coming back?? What are the chances of it coming back?  I try not to let it ruin my day, but sometimes it wells up in me and I feel like I have a panic attack.  I am a math teacher, and there have been two times this year that I had to leave my class and go in the hall because I just felt like the world was coming down on me. I do take Zoloft since all this started, and it does help, but still have those bad days!!

Anyway, it is so good to ¨meet¨ you all and be a part of this group Smile!!!!  I am not sure how to get that thing you all have at the bottom of your signature, I will try to figure that out!!

Blessed,
Deborah
SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down
Senior Advisor
Senior Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2013 at 9:16am
Dear Deborah,

Welcome to our TNBC Foundation Family and sorry you have need to be here. I think you will find there are a wonderful, supportive group of folks here.

I don't know if you had any treatment/opinions at MD Anderson but I would like to suggest their Integrative Medicine Center as a resource.

http://www.mdanderson.org/patient-and-cancer-information/care-centers-and-clinics/specialty-and-treatment-centers/integrative-medicine-center/index.html

In addition to the programs offered there are various support groups that you might find helpful. You are not alone on this journey.

I will be in Houston December 16, 17 after the San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium and would be happy to say hello. I work actively as a volunteer patient advocate.

Will send you my contact information in case you would like to meet.

good luck to you and again, welcome.

warmly,

Steve

p.s. did you see a Certified Genetic Counselor and were you tested for the BRCA mutation?
I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote My threesomes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2013 at 9:59am
All,

in 2009 I started loosing my hair, I was diagnosed with alopecia. By 2010 I went from alopecia araeta to alopecia totalis. I lost all the hair on my head, eye brows and eye lashes. My hair has never grown back. So when I diagnosed with breast cancer, I was wondering it the alopecia was an onset to the cancer?

So when the doctor and nurses told me that by I would loose my have during chemo I did not go through that emotional stage as other cancer patients. I went through stage five years prior.   I finished chem on September 12th. Since then my eye brow on the right side started coming back. I see very faint patches of hair on my head as well. Do you the chemo treatments helped my alopecia.?

Really hoping my hair comes back but don't want to get my hopes up.

I was told alopecia comes from stress. I know that I stress about recurrence whenever I feel something strange.

How can I get past this. I see a movie were the main character dies from cancer and I always feel that the character could be me.   Help me get past this.

My Three Sons
Annie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Annie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2013 at 10:47am

Hello MaxEmily, Sorry to hear what you have been through and thank you for visiting this site. Hope you continue to do so as you will be supported through any of your fears, questions with great help and encouragement.

In order to place your stats you need to go to the Member Control Panel on the far side of the Screen. Fill in the necessary information, some is not necessary and then at the bottom of that page you will see a small area where you can type in your stats.

Please try and take one day at a time. It is difficult for some time after treatment I feel for us to relax after all we went through. This is totally understandable. Rest is still a good thing and trying to see the BEAUTY in EACH DAY as Steve always tells us. This really helps as our focus becomes a little less on ourselves and more onto the blessings of the day which do strengthen us.

Post anytime, we welcome you, God Bless, Love,Annie
Annie TNBC Stage IIA Gr 3 1cm lesion 2/5 lymph nodes+ lumpectomy,FEC & D 30Rads finished(08/2009) BRCA- Chronic Cellulitis due to Radiation-- L.Mastectomy Jan 2012
MaxEmily View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaxEmily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2013 at 4:35pm
@Annie, thank you for the tip and the welcome, I think I did it, we will see in a minute!!  I have really embraced the whole "be thankful for your blessings¨ part of this whole journey, I am thankful for my family, my kids, my friends, and just being here :-)  I guess the thing that hurts the most is my kids are young, 7 & 6 , and I am desperate to be here for them.  That is the part that rips my heart out when i think about it.

Blessed,
Deborah
Diagnosed 1/15/13 at age 44 with TNBC < 1cm, Double mastectomy 1/21/13, 4 rounds DD A/C followed by 12 weekly Taxols
MaxEmily View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaxEmily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2013 at 4:47pm
@ Steve, I did try to get into MDA, my doctor gave me the name and number of a doctor there that his mother had used the day we discussed the path report, but when I called they said that it would be about 3 weeks before I could get in just to talk to somebody. I wanted that tumor out of me IMMEDIATELY, & I was very fortunate that my brother in law is an internist in Tyler and associated with the hospital there.  I found out on a Tuesday and he got me an appt that Thursday at the hospital there and I had my double mastectomy that Monday.  I am now with a wonderful doctor at Texas Oncology in Houston that I was referred to by the Texas Oncology dr in Tyler.   I did do the genetic testing at her encouragement, and both 1 & 2 came back negative.  Thank you so much for writing, it helps so much just to have people there who know what it is like and to know I am not alone.  My husband was and still is wonderful through everything, but he cannot possibly understand.

Blessed,
Deborah
Diagnosed 1/15/13 at age 44 with TNBC < 1cm, Double mastectomy 1/21/13, 4 rounds DD A/C followed by 12 weekly Taxols
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic