FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Carboplatin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
hlynne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hlynne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carboplatin
    Posted: Jun 11 2010 at 11:35am
Hello Ladies~
  I was on here earlier this year and have had a re-occurence w/ in two months of my bi-lateral mastectomy in Feb.  I was told to get my affairs in order because they thought the new cancer was metaplastic. I went to the CTCA this past week and they suggested doing radiation to the new cancer on my left side and treat me w/ carboplatin every 21 days w/ the radiation. I have mets ro my liver and left lung as well. Has anyone tried this treatment plan and had success? Thank you for you replies. God Bless you all.Heart
~mets to lung and liver~Dx triple negative 42 years old 1/2010 ~stage 4
negative gene mutation of BRCA1
lymph nodes positive 4
tumor over 4 cm in left breast only ~double mastectomy Feb 10 3 TAC
CarynRose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarynRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2010 at 3:59pm

When my mets were first dx'd, they were to the axillary lymph nodes and lungs.  CTCA gave me radiation for the axillary lymph nodes (VERY targeted) and a chemo cocktail (carboplatin, taxol, avastin, and erbitux) that disappeared the lung mets.  I was in remission for about a year.

Caryn
Orig dx 6/03 - St.2a, IDC
gr.3,0 nodes, TNBC/BRCA1+
7/07 St 4 mets to nodes/lungs. PACA/Rads NED 11/07-10/08
Lepto mets 10/08
Rads for 4 brain tumors 4/10.
Leptomets return 6/10
EWKSeattle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EWKSeattle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2010 at 7:50pm
Hi hlynne,

Similar story.  I recurred on my chest wall 6 weeks after my mastectomy.  I did a combination of radiation and cisplatin (chemo relative of carboplatin).  It completely zapped those lesions, and they haven't been seen since.  That was February 2007.

I've since done the same radiation + cisplatin regimen in the other areas where I've recurred over the years -- opposite side axilla, and later my mediastinal nodes.  Both times it was very effective, and no sign of those mets since. 

So it's been a hugely successful approach for me.  I really hope it will work as well for you too!

But I won't kid you.  The combination is a pretty harsh one.  Carbo is a little easier to tolerate than cisplatin, though, so I hope you have an easier time than I did.  Be sure you line up people to help you, and take it easy on yourself.

Elizabeth
Dx 05/06 Stage IIIC
Local Recurrence 01/07
Mets in opposite side axilla nodes 12/07
Mets to mediastinal nodes confirmed 11/08
NED March 2009-March 2010
Brain met March 2010.
chermilodina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chermilodina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2010 at 8:44pm
hlynne,

I was diagnosed with Stage IIB triple negative breast cancer in May of 2009. I underwent chemo treatments of Adriamycin and Cytoxin, followed by Taxol, then CPT11.  I then had a mastectomy (with 3 positive lymph nodes removed). This was follwed by 34 radiation treatments ending February 1, 2010. As I started to make arrangements for reconstructive surgery, my oncologist insisted that I have a CT scan first to make sure that there was NED (no evidence of disease). The CT revealed that my TNBC had metasisized into my lungs and am now classified at Stave IV.

I am not doing any kind of additional radiation, but I just had my 3rd treatment today of a chemo regimen of Avastin, Carboplatin and Docetaxol every 21 days. After 2 treatments, a follow up CT revealed this week that the tumors in my lungs have reduced to less than half size of the CT done in April - so that is great news! 

As far as side effects from the chemo I have had very little.  Mostly some fatigue, which has been helped with some exercise (mostly walking) and taking lorazepam occasionally to help me sleep at night.  My only other side effect has been constipation.  After having significant problems with the first round, I now try to ward that off by eating as much food as I can with fiber, as well as taking miralax for a few days before and after my treatments.  That seems to really be helping.

I also am trying to stick to a very healthy diet - low fat, low sugar, lots of fresh veggies (organic when possible) and fresh fruits.  We typically have a spinach salad at least 5 days a week with our meals.  We've also started trying to eat more fish and less red meat (we have been eating a lot of chicken for quite a while now, too).

Even though nobody can tell us how much time we have, please try not to give up hope.  There are so many success stories out there of women just like us who have had long-term survival!

Hang in there and try to stay positive!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic