FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Carboplatin in first cancer occurance

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
ratherBdiving View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ratherBdiving Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carboplatin in first cancer occurance
    Posted: Jul 31 2009 at 5:16pm
Hi all -

Yesterday was my first chemotherapy treatment and it hasn't been too bad.  Lots of sleep and fluids but no other effects.  I'm happy about that!

My question has to do with my chemo cocktail.  I've read many people having AC/T or T/AC.  My onco is recommending AC every other week for 4 weeks (seems common) and then T plus carboplatin every week for 12 weeks.  She said there were new findings released at the oncology summit in June that adding carboplatin has worked well in stopping recurrence of TNBC.

Has anyone else gone with this regimen or had carboplatin with an initial diagnosis.  What I've found so far points to it being used in recurrent cancer.

Thanks in advance for any info you may have!

~ ratherBdiving
dx 5/09, age 35, IDC TNBC, BRCA-
stage 1, grade 3, 1.2 cm
bi-mx 6/09, expander recon, SNB - neg 0/2
A/C 4x DD, T/Carbo 12 weekly, completed 12/10/09
NED 12/31/09
CarynRose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarynRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2009 at 2:09am
Dear Rather,

The platinums have been used on TNBC for a couple of years now with some good success.  I'm here to tell you that I'm Stage 4 and there were mets to my lungs, lymphnodes, and even later to my central nervous system.

Well, using what they call PACA, (Abraxane, Carboplatin, and Erbitux), I got great news this week as all my scans can find NO CANCER!!  Now, I'm not sitting back and resting on my laurels.  We are going to be doing maintence dosing to keep me this way, but it certainly looks like it worked.

I will tell you that when I was first dxd, I had CMF.   In hindsight, that was a good thing because I did not get Adriamycycin and that protescted my heart.

Also, my sister, look into supplementing with nutrition, naturopathy, and other alternative complementary practices like acupuncture, and Reiki.  It will help your body heal itself.

All the best,
CarynRose
Orig dx 6/03 - St.2a, IDC
gr.3,0 nodes, TNBC/BRCA1+
7/07 St 4 mets to nodes/lungs. PACA/Rads NED 11/07-10/08
Lepto mets 10/08
Rads for 4 brain tumors 4/10.
Leptomets return 6/10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ratherBdiving Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2009 at 7:47am
Oh Caryn!  I'm so happy to hear about your scan results!!!  Clap  Keep up the fight and thank you for the info about Carboplatin.  I'm also looking into nutrition and vitamins/supplements for healing and especially keeping my hemoglobin/white counts up.  They are already low but I'll fix that!  Wink

I don't know that I could do acupuncture...I have a terrible disgust of needles.  What are neuropathy and reiki?

Thanks for the info...take care!

stage 1, grade 3, 1.2 cm
NED 12/31/09
newalex View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2009 at 1:10am
I had 4 rounds EC and 12 weekly taxol and carboplantin. (My blood count was too low for awhile, so I had in total 8 rounds of carboplantin instead of 12, as carboplantin can make your red blood cells low and cause bleeding which could be dangerous.)
kirby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2009 at 3:29pm
RatherBdiving,

I swore by accupuncture during my chemo. I didn't start it until after the first tx so felt quite a difference in energy level once I did start. The needles a really not felt. I too don't like needles and can visualize what I think is happening [which can sometimes make things worse !] but had no problem with accupuncture.

Alex, I have cleared my inbox !

kirby

dx Feb. 2001. Age 44
Lumpectomy

2cm. no nodes stage 1 grade 3

4 rnds AC, 35 rads
kidzrn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kidzrn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2009 at 2:49pm
Caryn & Rather,
I am so excited for your news Caryn and would like to find out more info on the reichi and nutritionals you are using.

Rather,
I did the AC x 4 rounds then taxol 4 rounds....went from stage 2 to 4 in one year. Then they added the carbo, with avastin and taxol.... my oncologist's words were tumor was obliterated..... anyway, i for one really think the carbo is awesome and when something shows back up, we will be ready for it!!!Can't help but wonder what would have happened had I gotten carbo with my AC/T...No regrets though....Praying avastin works and in the meantime, making dietary/lifestyle changes....Need help in that area...too much info, much of which is conflicting...HELP...thanks ct
christi
2006,TNBC,Gr3 dbl mast, 4AC/4T {NED 4/07}, Lung Met 4/08, Carbo, Avastin, Taxol/Taxotere (CAT)x4, Lung Surgery 9/08, 4 CAT, then Avastin every 3 wks...NED 2/09, 2/10, 6/10, 10/10 Scans 4/11
CarynRose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarynRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2009 at 3:17am
Kidzrn,

Reiki is a type of massage that redirects energy in your body to encourage relaxation and healing.  You can find out about it by googling and seeking out alternative practioners.

In terms of supplements, I take green tea extract; maitake mushroom; vitamin D3, Melatonin, vitamin B6, Boswelia; cranberry (to prevent uti), curcumin; coenzymeQ10; etc etc.   That's just off the top of my head.  I take so many capsules in addition to my meds, it took my huband 2 hours to get it right the other night.

Hope this helps,
Caryn
Orig dx 6/03 - St.2a, IDC
gr.3,0 nodes, TNBC/BRCA1+
7/07 St 4 mets to nodes/lungs. PACA/Rads NED 11/07-10/08
Lepto mets 10/08
Rads for 4 brain tumors 4/10.
Leptomets return 6/10
Tigger123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tigger123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2009 at 10:00pm
Hey,
     I am very new here but I am in a new research trial.  I am getting Carboplatin, abraxane(taxol w/out solvent) and avastin wk 1, abraxane alone wk 2 and abraxane and avastin wk 3 then I have a week off.  I have had trouble with my platelet count.  Mine was not very high to begin with and had to push back treatments for 2 weeks.  But after only one round the tumor has shrunk from 3cm to 1cm and the swollen lymph nodes are gone.  They reduced the dose of Carboplatin a small amount so maybe my platelets will stay up.  I am doing 4 rounds of this and then 4 rounds of every 2 wks adriamycin and cytoxin.  Then I will finally have surgery.  And after surgery I will get 8 more months of every 2 wks avastin.  This seems to be working and hopefully will prevent further problems.  Best of luck to you. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ratherBdiving Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2009 at 5:23am
Tigger -

That's very encouraging!  I've completed the A/C and just finished 4th round of T+Carbo.  My hemoglobin was really low so had  blood transfusion yesterday.  Otherwise things have been pretty uneventful.

Best wishes to you!  I hope you continue to have great success with the trial treatments.

Terra
stage 1, grade 3, 1.2 cm
NED 12/31/09
unklez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unklez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2009 at 5:43am
Dear ratheBdiving,

As your research indicates, Carboplatin is typically used for recurrent and metastatic cancers not for early first diagnosis. Not sure if that's due to cost concerns or something else.

Are you comfortable with the added toxicity?

Your doctor is recommending it but still a second opinion from another oncologist would be useful.

Good luck...
Wife Dx: Jul/09. Age: 37. Size: 3cm. BRCA: -ve. Lumpectomy: Aug/09. Micromet 1/9 node. Chemo Start: Sep/09. E5103. DD ACB-> DD Abraxane (Taxol reaction). Zometa (S0307). Canadian Fraction Rads.
cg--- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cg--- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2009 at 8:41am

Clinical

Carboplatin aids breast cancer therapy

by David Douglas

Last Updated: 2009-09-24 20:11:41 -0400 (Reuters Health)

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - A protocol of carboplatin and weekly paclitaxel with or without trastuzumab produced "encouraging" pathological clearance in advance of definitive surgery in women with newly diagnosed stage IIA to IIIB breast cancer -- and particularly in those with more aggressive forms of the disease.

Lead investigator Dr. William M. Sikov told Reuters Health that the high pathologic complete response rate in what he called "the triple-negative population" -- that is, women with estrogen receptor (ER)-negative, human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (HER2)-negative, node-negative disease -- "is consistent with prior reports that suggest a possible benefit to including a platinum analog -- carboplatin in our study -- in the treatment of these patients."

That concept "is consistent with our evolving knowledge of the biology of this subset of patients," he continued.

Dr. Sikov and his colleagues at Brown University in Providence, Rhode Island defined complete response as the absence of viable invasive tumor in the breast and axillary nodes at surgery. Residual ductal carcinoma in situ, isolated tumor cells in the breast (<1 mm in aggregate), isolated tumor cells, or tumor deposit <2 mm in a single axillary node also qualified as a complete response.

The study, which is reported in an advance online issue of the Journal of Clinical Oncology, involved 55 patients, 12 of whom had unresectable disease at baseline. All of those 12 "were rendered resectable" by the end of the trial, the investigators said.

Patients were treated with carboplatin every 4 weeks and paclitaxel weekly for 16 weeks. Women with human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (HER2)-positive tumors also received trastuzumab weekly.

Overall, the pathologic complete response rate in women with resectable disease was 45%. For HER2-positive tumors the complete response rate was 76%, and for HER2-negative tumors, 31%. Corresponding rates for estrogen receptor (ER)-negative and ER-positive tumors were 75% and 27%.

The pathologic complete response rate in triple-negative patients was 67%, compared with 12% in patients with estrogen receptor-positive and HER2-negative tumors.

"This will be investigated in a much larger number of triple-negative patients," Dr. Sikov continued, "in a recently activated national neoadjuvant randomized trial."

"The results," he concluded, "also demonstrate the ability to achieve a high pathologic complete response rate in HER2-positive patients with a well-tolerated non-anthracycline-containing regimen."

J Clin Oncol 2009.

Copyright Reuters 2009

unklez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unklez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2009 at 8:56am
Dear Connie,

Thanks for the article.

This study is encouraging:

For those who can not get Anthracyclines

A. Due to allergic reaction
B. Due to heart disease
C. Or whose tumors do not respond to Anthracyclines.

For these people, this study is promising and shows that a regimen of Taxol and Carboplatin could work.

But the concerns are:

A. It is pharma sponsored.
B. It is done on a very small population.

It also does not answer OP's question, i.e. does Carboplatin add any incremental benefit over and above AC-->T or would the added toxicity make it ill advised. That question needs to be answered by oncologists.
Wife Dx: Jul/09. Age: 37. Size: 3cm. BRCA: -ve. Lumpectomy: Aug/09. Micromet 1/9 node. Chemo Start: Sep/09. E5103. DD ACB-> DD Abraxane (Taxol reaction). Zometa (S0307). Canadian Fraction Rads.
lisalaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisalaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2009 at 2:33am
This is a very similar regiment to what I had Feb-August 08.  My very large tumor and lymph nodes melted away to nothing after neoadjuvant chemo.  It was a tough time but well worth the great results. All cancer was gone after chemo and lumpectomy. My sentinel lymph node biopsy showed only dead cancer cells in my 1 infected lymph node.  I hope your results will be the same.  Good luck
eclair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eclair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2009 at 4:43am
I'm am starting neoadjuvant treatment this week that will be 6 rounds of Carboplatin and Paclitaxel every 3 weeks.  My situation is a bit unusual since they haven't been able to find a primary tumor, despite the full body scans, etc.  However, a biopsy of an axillary node found  mestastatic adenocarcinoma and the presence of nodes in the axilla and subpectoral regions are strongly indicative of breast cancer--and pathology shows it to be TNBC.  I also have subclavicular node that is swollen and lit up on a PET scan with contrast.
Tabatha00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tabatha00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2009 at 12:55pm
I just finished my 4th and LAST A/C (thank God).    On October 29, I'll start 12 weekly Abraxane treatments and then I'll have bilateral mastectomies with reconstrution.   

I have to say I'm just so dang excited about being done with A/C that as I sit here typing this (had chemo on Thursday) I'm not complaining about the nausea.   O.k. o.k. I'm not complaining LOUDLY.   lol    O.k. that wasn't convincing either was it?   lol

mefowler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mefowler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2009 at 12:20am
Dear ratherBdiving,

I realize I am a little late weighing in, but I had neoadjuvant chemotherapy with carboplatin and docetaxel (aka Taxotere) every three weeks for six treatments, and I am happy to report that my 2.9 cm tumor responded so well that there was NO invasive cancer left when I had my lumpectomy.  I was able to work full-time throughout my chemotherapy, although I was tired (especially in retrospect).  I still feel it would have been worse for me to be home thinking about having cancer.  At least work took my mind off my own problems!  I had some minimal neuropathy that did not start until after I finished chemo and has since resolved.  I know that some people have had permanent neuropathy.  The most important thing for me, however is that pathologic complete response and improved outcome.  Carboplatin is being used as first-line treatment quite frequently recently with some impressive results.  Good luck to you!

And CarynRose, what fabulous news.  I am so happy for you!

Maire
53 yo, dx'd 11/08 at 51, 2.9 cm IDC, node-neg, neoadj chemotx with Taxotere/carboplatin q3wks x 6, lumpectomy 4/09, path showed pCR, margin reexcision 5/09, rad'n 6-8/09, intermittent Tarceva, dc'd
DisneyGirl1956 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DisneyGirl1956 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2009 at 3:07pm
Hi,

How are you doing these days?  I had TAC before my surgery two weeks ago and that didn't work for me so my oncologist wants to put me in a trial through UCLA with gemcitabine and carboplatin with a PARP inhibitor. 

I have been off work now for 5 months, just could not think straight enough to work on TAC, too much 'fog' for 10 days each round.  Did you feel foggy brain on carboplatin?  I really want to try this study and so want to be back with the land of the living also and work. 

any advise would be much appreciated and I hope you are doing well!

Patty
dx June 2009 Stage 3C
6 rounds of TAC
Lumpectomy 10/09 13 nodes removed, Chemo did not work tried BSI-PARP Trial 2 rounds, did not work, just started Ixempra/Avastin/ Xeloda
DisneyGirl1956 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DisneyGirl1956 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2009 at 3:13pm

How are you doing?

Patty
dx June 2009 Stage 3C
6 rounds of TAC
Lumpectomy 10/09 13 nodes removed, Chemo did not work tried BSI-PARP Trial 2 rounds, did not work, just started Ixempra/Avastin/ Xeloda

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ratherBdiving Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 10 2009 at 8:11pm
Hi Patty -

I've had 7 of 12 weekly Taxol/Carboplatin rounds.  I'm still working full time and the side effects haven't been bad.  I don't feel foggy...the main thing I notice is I have a hard time thinking of the right words sometimes.  I'm not quite as quick as I used to be but eventually my brain kicks in.  :) 

I'm really tired on days 3 & 4, day 5 is still a little rough and then I'm fine.  It's been hard on my blood...RBC bottomed out a few weeks ago and I was dizzy, had a hard time breathing, had heart palpitations for a couple of days.  Had a transfusion and RBC came right back up and I felt much better.  WBC is very low as well...Neupogin shots for that.  I also had a bit of peeling skin on my feet but it never got to the point that it was sore.

So, it's not fun of course, but definitely tolerable.

Good luck to you!  I hope you tolerate the new cocktail much better than the last.  Welcome back to the land of the functioning!!!  Lucky for you to be in a PARP trial.  A lot of exciting news floating around about PARP inhibitors!

Let us know how things go for you.  Take care!

Terra
stage 1, grade 3, 1.2 cm
NED 12/31/09
newalex View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2009 at 3:14am
Terra
I had exactly the same treatment as you had, 4 biweekly AC and 12 weekly taxol/carboplantin.
Did you doctor say the taxol and carboplantin combo is a good one, better than taxol alone? alex
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic