FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

cancer testing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
gsbisht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gsbisht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cancer testing
    Posted: Apr 16 2010 at 2:58am
Our goal is to educate Ashkenazi Jewish women about a gene mutation which substantially increases their risk of breast or ovarian cancer. However, we want to do more than just educate you about this gene mutation. We want to encourage you to seek genetic counseling so you can determine if you carry this gene mutation. Our mission is to support education and genetic screening of Ashkenazi Jewish women around the world so we can break the cycle of hereditary breast and ovarian cancer!
 Destroying bad seeds
Scientists have found a microRNA that blocks the development of breast-cancer stem cells

Cancer stem cells are thought to be the 'bad seeds' of cancer. They are the only cells capable of giving rise to new

tumours and are resistant to chemotherapy. Destroying cancer stem cells could potentially block cancer development.

Erwei Song at Sun Yat-sen University in Guangzhou, Judy Lieberman at Harvard Medical School and co-workers1 showed that

breast-cancer stem cells could be blocked from self-renewal and differentiation through the interference of let-7.

brca gene 1 and 2  
SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down
Senior Advisor
Senior Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2010 at 7:36am
Dear gsbisht,

you are preaching to the choir regarding the BRCA mutation. I am an Ashkenazi Jew and carry the BRCA1(187delAG)+ mutation and I passed it along to my daughter. I agree education is important but why limit your efforts to the Ashkenazi community? It is my understanding that the mutation is more prevalent in the Ashkenazi community..maybe 1 out of 40 but there are lots of other folks on the planet and although it may be 1 out of 400 there is an audience out there of non-Ashkenazi folks who are at risk and don't know they are..

could you provide links to papers (Song and Lieberman) establishing the validity of blocking breast-cancer stem cells....are there ongoing clinical trials?

good luck to you and again I agree with your mission...just suggesting you might impact/save more lives if you broaden your audience.

all the best,

Steve
I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
fountain_eee2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fountain_eee2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2011 at 6:23am
Thanks for the info..

תיקון תריסים

123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2011 at 8:08am
Steve,

Is this one of the research studies?

http://genomebiology.com/content/10/7/310
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic