FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BRCA negative, prophylactic bilateral mastectomy

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Are you BRCA negative and chose prophylactic bilateral mastectomy?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [100.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Jennasnyder31 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennasnyder31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BRCA negative, prophylactic bilateral mastectomy
    Posted: Aug 12 2014 at 6:47pm
Hello,
I'm trying to decide between bilateral mastectomy or lump w rads. I'm 30 and BRCA negative. I am concerned about the rest of my life and the not knowing what caused this in the first place. What did you choose and why? Did any doctors recommend prophylactic surgery or provide statistics? I can't seem to find any. I know that it's the same for this specific occurrence of bc but what about chances if developing a brand new one or a local recurrence?
Thank you,
Jenna
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2014 at 7:37pm
Hi Jenna,

I think if you search for the studies, they will tell you the statistics are the same whether you choos bi-mx or lumpectomy with rads. I was Stage 1 and lumpectomy was recommended, but I chose bilateral mastectomy. I can't tell you why I did, it just felt like the right decision for me. I was 49, always had dense, fibrocyctic breasts and just worried. My path report after surgery showed precancerous areas in the good breast. It was just a hunch, but don't regret my decision. Even so, I still had a recurrence to an internal mammary node on the opposite side of the tumor. It appears not all cancer cells drain to the sentinel nodes and I was one of them. I think you have to choose what is best for you. You will hear from many of our members who had a lumpectomy and rads and never had a recurrence. It's a deeply personal decision. Wishing you the best.

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

noordinarymom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noordinarymom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2014 at 9:29pm
Many BRCA negative girls choose BMX when the cancer is in only one breast, whether it be for aesthetics or for peace of mind that they won't get it in the other breast. I've read that it's uncommon for cancer to come back in the opposite breast, but I can see how the thought of that happening can overcome you which is why some women choose bilateral mastectomies. Talk to your onco.
xo 
DX 2/16/14 Stage 1 1.5cm Grade 3 Node negative, BMX with expanders 3/14/14, AC/T Chemo 4/24/14, Implant exchange scheduled for October
BRCA1+ (187delAG)
Jacquie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jacquie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2017 at 4:14pm
I was diagnosed withTNBC and my surgeon recommended a lumpectomy with radiation and chemo. I agreed initially because he of course knows what’s best. Well, what is best medically for some is not best for others. The days following that decision I constantly questioned if that was the right choice. I can remember my oncologist saying, you will be fine as long as you make the right decisions. Well, what are the right decisions? And how do I know what choice is right? I called my oldest daughter to tell her that I was going to have a lumpectomy and the surgeon felt confident this was the right surgery choice for me. She cried and cried and I knew immediately at that moment that was not the right choice for me. It immediately became clear. I was questioning it, my children were upset over it, maybe I shouldn’t do that. I changed my mind, told my surgeon and everything and I mean everything was rescheduled. But once I made that decision, I never once questioned it like I did the lumpectomy, not once. I was afraid but I was sure this is what I wanted. I am now 2 was post op and still 100% am sure I made the right choice for me.

My reasons:
1- reconstructive surgery is very difficult and sometimes impose after radiation so if it came back or the dr couldn’t get clean margins and you had to have the mastectomy anyway. Reconstructive surgery may not be an option
2 - I didn’t want to take the chance the cancer would come back in either breast
3- my children wanted me to do the bilateral mastectomy for fear of it coming back
3 - I won’t have to have radiation
4 - I only had to definitely have the only one surgery
5 - with a lumpectomy it is possible to have additional surgeries due to achieving clean margins
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2021 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by Alishan	Alishan wrote:

I am sorry you find yourself here, especially at this time of year, but welcome to the Forum.I found it full of good advice and support since I was diagnosed earlier this year with similar Grades to you, Gleason 4+3=7, with a PSA of 9.6, bi-lateral. Were you given a PSA result, if so it might be useful to post it here as all info helps. I used an app called Ankr to help make my decision. I think it's free and available on app store (iPhone) -- search for Ankr - Cancer care companion. I ended up taking Hormone Therapy, HT, and Radiotherapy, RT, but many seem to be offered Radical Prostatectomy. I’m sure someone who had RP will be along shortly to post on that treatment

Hi Alishan, I see you posting all the time on different threads with the same information promoting your ANKR app. 

You mentioned your Radical Prostatectomy.  You do realize this is a breast cancer forum?  I don't think you'll find anyone here who has had a Radical Prostatectomy. 

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic