FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Attention Newbies: Important New Chemo Study

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2011 at 10:06pm
Dear Pete,
I feel sad having to say this, but your wife is going through what most of us have experienced, or are experiencing. When you mentally cannot get control of your thoughts, your life, it is such a scary place to be. It takes time. It takes tears. It takes you letting her know that you're there, no matter what. Also, it very well could take some professional intervention. She has been through such a profoundly scary time and is now entering the last stage of her treatments and then (for me) it was like I was standing at the edge of a cliff afraid someone would push me over. Just love her and even though you can't understand, let her know you're there.
I will not try to diminsh what you have been through. I know my husband was scared also, but he was strong for me.
I hope this helps. It is just another stage of the cancer journey. She will get better.....

God Bless,
Lillie
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 L/Mast/w/SNB,1of3 Nodes+
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
8/8 thru 11/15 Chemo (Clin-Trial) DD A/Cx4 -- DD taxol+gemzar x4
No Rads.
No RECON - 11/2018-12 yrs NED
karebear113 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karebear113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2011 at 10:54pm
Donna,

What do you mean you had a recurrence in IM node?

Thanks,
K
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2011 at 12:12am
Karebear113,

Last October I had a PET scan that showed some activity in an Internal Mammary node.  This was about 13 months after I finished chemo the first time.  So in December I started chemo again and will begin radiation this week.

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karebear113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2011 at 12:54am
Donna,

I'm so sorry to hear that.  I think you're right.  My mom was in a rush to get the tumour out ASAP and it would have been better to test out the chemo first.  But, I guess we won't know until later if the chemo drugs were the right combination. 

But, the oncologist made it sound like she's done so many of the treatments that she said this was "standard".

I sure hope this is the right treatment for my mom.

K
Charlene View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2011 at 7:58am
I think (from what I've read) that women with larger tumors are more likely to be given chemo before surgery.   Smaller tumors are surgery first.  I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions, though.

Charlene
DX 3/10 @59 ILC/TNBC
Stage 1, Grade 2, Multifocal; Lumpectomy/re-excision
SNB 0/4 nodes, BRCA-; Taxotere/Cytoxan X4, 30 rads
3/14:NED
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2011 at 8:18am
Charlene,

You're right.  I was probably like most of you where all I wanted was the tumor out as quickly as possible.  I just assumed chemos automatically worked and didn't realize there were so many different chemo choices.  I think there are a few centers that prefer neoadjuvant therapy for tx.  When I visited MD Anderson I was told they like to do that because then they can see if the tumor is responding to the chemo regime.

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2011 at 8:53pm
bump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karebear113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2011 at 10:27pm
Just got word today that having a bit of chocolate before the chemo helps the chemo treatment as it helps the veins show more.
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2011 at 6:15pm
bump

PTE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PTE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2011 at 1:43am
Havent been on for a bit.  Putting out too many fires (lots of stuff going on).  Wife went in for her first radiation appt (the one where she gets her tattoo).  all went well.  Went in the next week to learn the course of treatment and length of rads.  This was the only good news out of the whole thing.  Only 3 1/2 weeks worth!!!!  She'll be done June 15th.  This brings up a new problem though.

With the end of treatment (except for the every 3 month check up), she is beginning to feel that maybe not enough has been done.  She's afraid that not going through more treatment means the dreaded demon is going to return.  I guess you could say this is almost like a post traumatic syndrome kind of thing.  Anyone else hear of this?
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2011 at 7:26am
PTE,

What your wife is feeling is exactly what most of us feel when we're done with treatment.  It is post traumatic stress syndrome.  When we're going through treatment you feel like you're actively fighting this disease.  Since we have no adjuvant therapy like our ER+ sisters, we feel like we're not being proactive to keep this beast from returning.  All we have is a waiting game.  I think the longer you can go with NED, then the stress and anxiety will get better. 

Donna

Charlene View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2011 at 7:58am
PTE,

I was so happy when my treatment ended, but then I felt abandoned.  This feeling, I think, caused me to be rather demanding of my doctors at my follow up appointments.  My medical oncologist made me feel better by reminding me that I had done all I could.  My radiation oncologist talked to me about healthy living--more exercise, better diet, etc.  I exercise daily and it helps me feel that I am at least doing "something" that might help prevent a recurrence.  I agree with Donna that stress and anxiety will decrease as time goes on.

Charlene
DX 3/10 @59 ILC/TNBC
Stage 1, Grade 2, Multifocal; Lumpectomy/re-excision
SNB 0/4 nodes, BRCA-; Taxotere/Cytoxan X4, 30 rads
3/14:NED
Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2011 at 9:23am
Dear PTE,

Yes, Post Traumatic Syndrome.... Treatment ended and I was scared, felt like I was going to fall off a cliff at any moment. This doesn't sound like a normal thing, but for us TNBC girls, it is all too normal.

She needs to keep as busy as possible and educate herself with positive things and thoughs to get through this time. If she really cannot overcome it on her own, maybe some professional help would be in order. "Professional Help is a Good Thing"....

All that Donna and Charlene have said is so true.

Let us know how things are going.

God Bless,
Lillie

Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 L/Mast/w/SNB,1of3 Nodes+
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
8/8 thru 11/15 Chemo (Clin-Trial) DD A/Cx4 -- DD taxol+gemzar x4
No Rads.
No RECON - 11/2018-12 yrs NED
unklez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unklez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2011 at 3:20pm
Dear PTE,
Yes your wife is feeling what many here have felt. It does feel strange and a bit overwhelming when the treatment is over. Donna, Charlene, Lillie and others have already given you some tips. All I will add is that some TLC from you will help her to get over this state.

Wife Dx: Jul/09. Age: 37. Size: 3cm. BRCA: -ve. Lumpectomy: Aug/09. Micromet 1/9 node. Chemo Start: Sep/09. E5103. DD ACB-> DD Abraxane (Taxol reaction). Zometa (S0307). Canadian Fraction Rads.
kirby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2011 at 11:00pm
PTE, she's got to sit back and try to relax. I am trying to get together with her for coffee. She'll get a laugh at what I told my onc when it was over. And yea, I have a rad story too. I don't ask for much but when I do I expect to be listened to. LOL. Both of you hang in there. I thought of you when I read the metformin thread. You must have seen it. Maybe that will give her some assurance.
kirby

dx Feb. 2001. Age 44
Lumpectomy

2cm. no nodes stage 1 grade 3

4 rnds AC, 35 rads
PTE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PTE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 04 2011 at 8:57pm
Thank you all for the support.  My wife isnt one to sit back and just let things happen. She WILL and DOES ask questions.  I think the post stress thing is quite right.

Two positives so far.      1. Only 8 more radiation days!!  and 2. Her hair is starting to come back in. Not much of it, but it's there. Very white though. Kind of bristly, like week old leg hair! (she let my rub it!!)

Have to go lather her up with creams and such to prevent the rad burn from affecting to much skin. Will keep you all posted.

Pete

Edited by PTE - Jun 04 2011 at 8:58pm
PTE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PTE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2011 at 1:03am
UPDATE to post of 6-4-11Tongue
Today, 6-15-11 was the last radiation day!! Done with treatment!!  Her doctor told her he is proud to now put her in the survivor column instead of the treatment column!!  Much relief, a few tears (happy ones). 

Did a quick scalp check.  Some hair is there at almost 1/4 inch.  Whats weird is some of it is coming in dark!  Mostly stark white, but it's coming in. She's a happy camper about that. 

One thing that did hit her though was, 'what is she going to do tomorrow morning', her normal treatment time?  That one is a bit scary.  Thankfully she has loads of support, so I think she'll make it through the tough times.

Thats the only update for now.  Thank you for being here.
Barbi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2011 at 1:33pm
Congrats to your wife Pete!  I finish rads July 6th and am counting down! Maybe you should go on a vacation. I'm taking a road trip 1 week from the end of rads and can hardly wait!
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2011 at 6:34pm
Congrats Pete.  I bet you and your wife are overjoyed to be done with treatment.  It's true that radiation is so much a part of our daily lives.  I can just imagine when I'm done that I'll still want to get into the car and start driving to treatment before I realize it's over.

Donna

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2011 at 5:31am
MDAnderson does Taxol first. I started treatment Sept. '09 so they've been doing it that way for at least that long. Can't recommend them enough!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
  Share Topic